RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: RV propane tank emptying ?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> RV propane tank emptying ?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
bigB42

montana

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 10:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sounds more like the board on water heater have it checked out ken

ken

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 01:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tourusa wrote:

Hi Alll I've been having problems with the automatic lighter on my atwood and someone said when did you last empty your propane tank and get the air out ?

Can anyone tell me if this needs doing and step by step how to do it with my propane tank in my class C RV thanks

You're talking about having trouble with the Atwood water heater, right?
I think you misunderstood what the person told you- they probably meant "get the air out of" the water heater tank, not the propane tank.

I don't know if an air lock inside the water heater can cause combustion problems, but if you want to purge the air, just open a faucet a bit 'til the tank fills up and the faucet stops "burping".

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

rehoppe

Denver & Nathrop Colo or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 06:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now you need to determine IF the auto lighter is sparking at all, and if so what color spark? If not it needs to be replaced.

IF it sparks and lights but goes back out? Your flame sensor/ thermocoupler needs to be replaced.

Last question; When you light it with a BBQ lighter. Does it sat lite, or does it go back out immediately? That is also a function of the thermocoupler.

Hoppe
2011 Dodge 1500 C'boy Caddy
2000 Jayco C 28' Ford chassis w V-10 E450
Doghouse 36' or so Trophy Classic TT

rehoppe

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 06:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As to the cleaning of the jet. When you light it manually does it burn blue or yellow/orange. If not mostly blue use a bottle brush to clear the outer sleeve that pulls and mixes air with gas.

If the flame is small and or irregular. You need a tip cleaner (hardware store or welding supply). to clear the oriface. CLEAR ONLY DO NOT MAKE IT BIGGER!!!! NO drill bits. EVER. (You'll create a fire hazard).

rehoppe

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 07:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My bad, missed it on earlier post.

Here's another one IF you don't have spark (check for voltage to the unit). It needs voltage to spark.

oldtrucker63

Harlan Kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 09:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There can be Air in the gas line, But after trying to light the appliance would remove the air after a few minuets of trying to light it.

Without Trucks,....America Stop's

Dakzuki

Carnation, Wa, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 07:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tourusa wrote:

Hi How do I take off the jet and clean...? is it the brass looking fitting with the pin hole can you take this off with a spanner without emptying the tank ?

I can manually start the atwood with a BBQ lighter and fridge stove work great, no spark new ignitor?

thanks all

You a Brit? If so, Cheers and I tip an Imperial pint to you.

Yes, on mine it is is brass and comes off with a spanner....although it was sold as a wrench.

If you can manually light it and IT STAYS LIT, you may have an ingniter or board problem IMO. If you have somebody fire it up and you are outside listening can you hear a series of clicks? Those sounds are the spark jumping...no clicks look at the board or a dead short somewhere. Clicks but no spark across the igniter (on end of flame tube) looks for the spark jumping before the ingniter.

That's where I would start. If you are able to light it manually and it stays lit it's not a gas problem IMO.

2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 02:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you have a fuse, or circuit breaker for the water heater, I believe it needs 12V for the igniter .

2007 Forester 2941DS
2005 KIA Spectra
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

rehoppe

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 03:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only time I've heard of needing to 'empty' a propane tank, was on a very OLD 500 gallon tank that wouldn't take an appropriate amount of prop. to fill it.

Turns out that after 30-40 years of the 'stink' component, settling out of the prop., it had accumulated quite a volume of 'stink liquid' in the bottom of it.

The Driver that told me of this occurrence, said it stank for a vey long time! OH boy. But AIR had nothing to do with the need for draining.

Now it does take a minute or so for the air to be expelled from my Propane feed LIne (30 feet of 3/4" iron pipe), after it's been off for a couple of months or so. But that's the LINE not the Tank. Hope this helps clarify the differences.

tourusa

miami

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 11:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi All and thanks in advance , the atwood stays lit with the BBQ lighter I'm going to clean the hole,

Does anyone know how to check the voltage to the spark ?

thanks again

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> RV propane tank emptying ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS