|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Amature radio mount location in a Class A

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
JcoFS3500

East Central OK

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 06:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Newbie here just getting started in the amateur radio hobby. Planning to mount a 2-meter mobile transceiver in our Class A. My question is, is there any reason to consider mounting the transceiver in the drivers cockpit or should I just go ahead and mount it near the dinette? Mounting in the cockpit area would only be convenient if using it while driving whereas the dinette area would be more convenient for use while parked.

Thoughts, suggestions, & considerations welcome.

'93 Jayco FS3500 TT behind a '92 Dodge D250 powered by 5.9L Cummins

'94 Vogue Prima Vista powered by 8.3L Cummins w/ 6spd Allison

WyoTraveler

Northwest, Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 07:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congratulations. Assuming you have the U.S. repeater book that ARRL puts out.

If you monitor it when parked and it is in the dash it still would be convenient. I never sat hours and hours on 2 meters like I normally did on HF. If it were 2 meters and HF I could have suggested the dinette area. I'm confused I thought your post was in the MH area. Is it MH or TT? If it is a TT I think I would have 2 antennas. One for the TT and one for the TV.

73s

2013 Monaco Monarch
2012 Jeep Wrangler
AC6CV, ex-WN8RUR, ex-W8RUR, ex-K7RIO, ex-WB6GBR since 1954
Commercial 1st class Radio Telephone, & Telegraph certificate
ARRL 35 WPM Certificate.

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 07:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WyoTraveler wrote:

Congratulations. Assuming you have the U.S. repeater book that ARRL puts out.

If you monitor it when parked and it is in the dash it still would be convenient. I never sat hours and hours on 2 meters like I normally did on HF. If it were 2 meters and HF I could have suggested the dinette area. I'm confused I thought your post was in the MH area. Is it MH or TT? If it is a TT I think I would have 2 antennas. One for the TT and one for the TV.

73s

agree completely. mount it up by the cockpit. what are you planning to use for an antenna and where/how are you going to mount it? welcome to the fraternity!

'73,
rich, n9dko
Every retired man needs three things....a good truck, a good dog and a working wife

'10 Jeep Liberty KK

travelzoo

NW

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 08:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seeing your just getting started in the hobby I suggest you pickup a handheld unit.. Install a antenna on the motorhome, this will give you extended range when in the motorhome. Yet you will have a good unit to use outside around the campsite and beyond. As you get more into the hobby and learn the type of operating you really enjoy you can then expand to a multiband rig for use in the motorhome if you wish.

city slicker

dixons mills al

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 08:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine is on the top of dash to the right of steering wheel easy to reach driving and also to use in camp grounds also have handy talkie and radio in jeep when you get into ham radio you will have more than 1 radio. 73 W4WTG

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 08:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welsome to the radio fraternity...
I plan to get a Yaesu radio with the removable control head. That way I can mount the radio in the living area, and run the extension wire to the cockpit so the control head can be there while driving, and put the control had back on the radio when parked.
I will probably use an Arrow J-pole on the coach for 2M/70cm use while driving, and I have a couple of options for HF antennas for use when parked.
I might just put the Yaesu FT 857D I have in the house in the motorhome, instead of getting another radio.
But, I REALLY want a Yaesu 897D! Someday...
Jon, KJ7POE
When you are in the Billings area, you will find me on the 145.410 repeater, negative offset, 100 Hz tone.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad 1: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (and Toad 2): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 08:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To keep the wife happy, you better put it in the cockpit! My wife has mellowed out over the years, but not enough to put it in the dinette yet. In fact, if I were to do that, she would be suggesting that we tow along a dog shack.

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

WyoTraveler

Northwest, Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 07:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do own a 2mtr/HF rig. I have had it for a few years. I haven't been active but sometimes the xtmrs cause problems in the newer electronic filled vehicles. Really hard for me to get inspired unless it is CW. I do have a leg key and have done some mobile CW. The leg key has a spring clamp and it goes around the upper thigh so the key can be operated while sitting in a vehicle.

I was a radioman from way back in the 50s, first a ham in HS, than a radioman in the service. Pretty much all high speed CW. Never cared much for AM or SSB.

The secret is to get the XYL into the hobby. LOL. My XYLs call sign is KD6AKD.

W4MBG

Williamsburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 09:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i have not mounted the rigs in the rv yet, but the plan is to put the 2M/440 up front for use while on the road, and the hf rig in the back. the bedroom has a desk built into the rear wall, and i can mount the antenna on the ladder.

1999 Winnebago Minnie, 29', Triton V10, mostly stock. So far...

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 11:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You could always get TWO rigs.... (Or two mounting brackets)

In the cockpit.. I took a 2x4, kind of angled one edge so it is a trapezoid not a retangle and mounted this to the wall next to the driver's seat. I located two studs (the 2x is long enough to span them) and ran screws into the studs.

I stained it so it looks nice, and mount the radio brackets to it (Kenwood TM-733, and 2 CB's one on 13 one on 17)

Then in the "Shack" area I mounted a TS-2000

Right, Rolling porcupine (well not. I really only have a few antennas showing)

But if you get a 2nd mounting bracket you can mount the radio in both places, Just unhook and move it as needed.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Amature radio mount location in a Class A
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: