RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: effect of high pressure on stock wheels

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> effect of high pressure on stock wheels

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
JJBIRISH

Butler, PA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 03:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A tire of any LR aired to the PSI recommended for its actual carried load isn’t under inflated…

The sidewall is the maximum PSI for the Maximum load and is a good rule of thumb for RV’s that come equipped with tires that are close to their Maximum load all the time, and there is little benefit to running less PSI in almost all cases with RV‘s as they are equipped from the mfg…

Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

smkettner

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 03:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tspecs wrote:

Then you are suggesting that a load range d tire underinflated will not have ant additional heat buildup over a c range tire given the same circumstances?

Check the load chart. The tire rating for C or D is exactly the same.
C just stops at 50 psi, D continues to 65, E goes to 80.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675 watts solar
Send a PM if I missed something

hotpepperkid

Chino Hills CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 12:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have LT235/85R16E tires on my trailer. Last time trailer was weighed the trailer axles had 8560# on two axles(4 tires). According to Michelin's load inflation tables I need to run only 50# of air. Thats just crazy

2000 Ford F-350 SRW 4X4 PSD Jayco Super Lite 29.5RKS (31') 5th wheel 50 gal X-ferflow in the bed tank. Banks big exhaust and Stinger kit.

JJBIRISH

Butler, PA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/12 01:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I will start by saying you have a very good tire…

That said, what is crazy is putting that much tire on that trailer…

Its true that just because a little of something is good doesn’t mean a lot of it is better…

Since the tires are designed to be a part of the suspension system on the short sprung trailer axles I am sure you have managed to short circuit that idea…

True you most likely will not experience a tire blow out… but unless you have a special purpose and need, if you are running those tires anywhere near 80PSI at the weight you claim, you could dramatically increase the risk of more easily breaking a spring, bending a axle, damaging the chassis, and jarring the trailer parts loose… especially on a light weight trailer…

Upsizing tires on a RV trailer is almost always prudent and often necessary because the mfg’s consistently undersize them, but it generally requires more than picking the biggest and heaviest tire you can fit in the wheel well for good overall performance…

While I am certain you won’t agree and have convinced yourself of the need for your choice, IMHO you made a bad choice for a great heavy duty tire for a light weight trailer…

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 03:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, let me get this straight...
A tire that is rated for 3,482 lbs at 80 psi inflation MUST be inflated to 80 PSI just because it is being used on a trailer, even though it is only carrying 2000 lbs., is that correct?
HOWEVER, if that SAME TIRE is used on a vehicle OTHER than a trailer, it must be inflated according to the inflation chart on the vehicle, is THAT correct?

So, to make it simple, if the tires are on my Jeep, I must inflate them to 33 PSI as Jeep says I should do. BUT, if I put those SAME TIRES on my trailer, suddenly I must inflated them to 80 PSI (regardless of load), right?
Sorry, but IMO that is simply ridiculous. I will continue to inflate my tires according to load as I always have, in order to keep the tread flat on the road surface for maximum traction and most even wear!
It has been many years since I had a flat tire for any reason other than physical damage! I can't remember my last actual "blow-out".
So, obviously, my inflation practices have worked fine for me!
You do what you want, I will continue with my "stupid" ways!

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (may become a toad): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

coolbreeze01

Redding, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 04:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I run 40# in my Jeep tires and 70# in my trailer tires. Both ride and handle nicely

2008 Dodge 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 04:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought my new D rated 13" wheels and tires as a set.. The OEM tires were 13" B rated tires.. Never had any problems with the B's, but I'm maxed out on weight and needed new tires anyway and it was only $100 more to go with the D rated tires instead of the C's.. I was NOT putting B's on no matter what..

I run them at 60 psi (65 max) because that just seems right to me and the tire temps are consistent and about 20-30 degrees cooler than the old B's ran at max + psi..

I've never seen wheels less than 65 max psi rating?? Even the cheap 12" steel wheels on my 4x8 utility trailer are rated for 65 psi..

The PSI rating on any wheel should be stamped on the inner part of the wheel.. So, you do have to pull the tire off to see it..

That's just been my experience..

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2003 Prowler Lynx 722F #5000 GVWR and weighs every bit of it! Happy Camping!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> effect of high pressure on stock wheels
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS