RV.Net Open Roads Forum: step by step dewinterize AND sanitize guide - good,bad,ugly?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> step by step dewinterize AND sanitize guide - good,bad,ugly?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
bigbullelk

Atlanta

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 07:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First time de-winterizing my travel trailer. I did a search but for the life of me I couldn’t find a step by step guide so I pieced this together ---- is this right?

I winterized it using the pink stuff, and I do have a water heater bypass. The water heater is empty of course.

Step 1: Get the pink stuff out

1. Leave the water heater bypassed.

2. Fill the fresh water holding tank using hose water. (Can I simply connect the hose w/ a pressure regulator and avoid filling up the holding tank at this point?)

3. Turn on the on-board pump.

4. Open the hot and cold water faucets in the kitchen sink, bathroom and shower (one at a time) flush the toilet as well

5. Close the faucets after the pink stuff runs out and the water runs clear.

6. Turn off the on-board pump.

All the pink stuff and some amount of water has now flowed in to the grey water tank. (Which I emptied and then filled w/ a little pink stuff when I winterized it.)

7. Open the fresh water drain line under the TT and open all the faucets to completely drain the system.

8. Once drained, close the fresh water drain line.

Step 2: Sanitize the fresh water tank

1. Turn the levers to unbypass the water heater.

2. Determine the capacity of the entire fresh water system, including the water heater, and multiple that by 0.13 to determine the number of ounces of bleach to use.

3. Pour the bleach into a container and fill the rest of the container with water.

4. Pour the contents of the container into the fresh water holding tank (prevents straight bleach from contacting anything)

5. Fill up the fresh water tank using a funnel and garden hose.

6. Turn on the on-board pump.

7. Open the hot and cold water faucets in the kitchen sink, bathroom and shower (one at a time) and flush the toilet to activate the pump and fill the lines and the water heater.

8. Once filled, top off the holding tank so the bleach/water mixture is touching all sides of the tank.

9. Let sit for at least 30 minutes.

10. Turn off the on-board pump.

11. Open the fresh water drain line under the TT and open all the faucets to completely drain the system.

12. Drain the water heater.

13. Close the fresh water drain line under the TT

14. Re-fill the fresh water holding tank w/ a funnel and garden hose.

15. Turn on the on-board pump.

16. Open the hot and cold water faucets in the kitchen sink, bathroom and shower (one at a time) to activate the pump and fill the lines and the water heater.

17. Turn off the on-board pump.

18. Open the fresh water drain line under the TT and open all the faucets to completely drain the system.

19. Drain the water heater.

20. Close the fresh water drain line under the TT

If you still smell the bleach after doing this, fill and flush again.

At this point, I think my grey water tank will be maybe halfway full, which I should think I would want to empty prior to backing in to my first camping spot of the season.

I'm sure I probably missed something. Any advice is appreciated!

* This post was edited 03/10/12 06:00am by bigbullelk *

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 07:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boy you go to a lot of trouble. I simply hook up to the city water, Turn on the faucetts on the other side of the water heater, and let them run untill they are clear. Then open the bypass valves, and fill the water heater.

I dump when the grey is full just like normal. I just do it at the CG on our first trip.

But then, we don't use the fresh water tank, and there has never been any pink stuff in there.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
04 F150, 5.4, Lariat SuperCab
Lazy Campers

korbe

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 07:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I open my low point drains and faucets to gravity drain most of the pink stuff first.

After I rinse out the bleach, I flush with some baking soda

2004 F250 SD PSD
2004 Crossroads Cruiser CF25RS

bigbullelk

Atlanta

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 12:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, sounds like I have overachieved!!! Here’s a revised plan.

Step 1: Get the pink stuff out

1. Leave the water heater bypassed (bypass on). (So the pink stuff does not flow in to the water heater. Have read it is a pain to flush the water heater if it gets in there.)

2. Open the low point drains under the TT to gravity drain the pink stuff out as much as possible.

3. Open the faucets in the kitchen, bathroom, inside shower, and outside shower to gravity drain the pink stuff out as much as possible. (I know the pink stuff is not harmful to people and animals, but does it stain concrete? I live at the top of our neighborhood hill so all the pink stuff will flow right down the street gutter. Guessing it will get diluted though but thought I’d better ask. Don’t want any p’d off neighbors.)

4. Close the faucets.

5. Close the low point drains.

6. Connect a garden hose w/ a pressure regulator

7. Open the faucets one at a time until it runs clear. Close the faucet.

8. Flush the toilet as well until it runs clear. (Guessing a few times. Actually, do I even need to fool w/ the toilet? Is there a reason I can’t leave the pink stuff in the toilet lines and bowl until our first trip of the season and the first “call of nature” for someone?)

Some minimal amount of pink stuff and water has now flowed in to the grey water tank. (Which I emptied and then filled w/ a little pink stuff when I winterized it.)

9. Disconnect the garden hose and pressure regulator.

10. Open the low point drains under the TT and open all the faucets to completely drain the system. Once drained, close the faucets and low point drains.

At this point, there is no water in the lines or water heater. (Correct?)

Step 2: Sanitize the fresh water tank

1. Determine the capacity of the entire fresh water system, including the water heater, and multiple that by 0.13 to determine the number of ounces of bleach to use.

2. Pour the bleach into a container and fill the rest of the container with water.

3. Pour the contents of the container into the fresh water holding tank (prevents straight bleach from contacting anything)

4. Fill up the fresh water tank using a funnel and garden hose.

5. Turn the levers to unbypass the water heater (bypass off). (Allow water to flow in to the water heater)

6. Turn on the on-board pump.

7. Open the faucets in the kitchen sink, bathroom, inside shower and outside shower (one at a time) and flush the toilet to activate the pump and fill the lines and the water heater.

8. Once the water heater and lines are filled, top off the holding tank so the bleach/water mixture is touching all sides of the tank.

9. Turn off the on-board pump.

10. Let sit for at least 30 minutes.

11. Open the low point drains under the TT and open all the faucets to completely drain the system. Close the drains.

12. Drain the water heater.

13. Re-fill the fresh water holding tank w/ a funnel and garden hose.

14. Turn on the on-board pump.

15. Open the faucets in the kitchen sink, bathroom, inside shower and outside shower (one at a time) and flush the toilet to activate the pump and fill the lines and the water heater.

16. Turn off the on-board pump.

17. Open the fresh water drain line under the TT and open all the faucets to completely drain the system. Close the drains.

18. Drain the water heater.

If you still smell the bleach after doing this, fill and flush again.

At this point:
- the fresh water tank and the lines have been sanitized and are dry.
- the grey water tank will be maybe halfway full, which I will empty prior to backing in to my first camping spot of the season.
- When I get to the first camping spot of the season, I will hook up to the city water thereby allowing the water heater to fill up and then turn on the water heater.

Is this right now?

NC Hauler

Asheville NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 01:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

...if I had to remember all these list, I'd be in trouble...For years and years and years, all I've done has been hook up to city water, take the hot water heater out of bypass and then turn water on in kitchen sink, bathroom sink, shower (each of those cold first, then hot water), flush the commode and go outside and turn on the outside shower, hot and cold....that's it, no more, no less.....

you can open the low points and let what little antifreeze is in the system pour out before you start, but again, it's really a very simple procedure to de-winterize....but I don't carry water around with me so maybe that helps some..

just hook up and flush....no big deal, not rocket science, really quite simple...

Jim & Kathy
2013 Dodge 3500DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin tranny/4:10/Cummins: 385HP/850TQ
06 HR Presidential Suite 37RLQ/SK3005 Satellite/Splendide XC2100/4slide/dual pane windows
2014 Jeep Compass Ltd 4X4
Boxers;Buddy& Sheba II
USAF 71-75 Nam Vet

NanciL

Bakersville, NC, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 03:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terryallan wrote:

Boy you go to a lot of trouble. I simply hook up to the city water, Turn on the faucetts on the other side of the water heater, and let them run untill they are clear. Then open the bypass valves, and fill the water heater.

I dump when the grey is full just like normal. I just do it at the CG on our first trip.

But then, we don't use the fresh water tank, and there has never been any pink stuff in there.

Times two, but I am slightly faster. I open the bypass valves before I turn on the water.
Been doing it that way for ten years
Jack L

Jack & Nanci

rr2254545

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 09:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow what they said, only screw up i have done is to turn on water heater before turning by pass valve off. Fried the heating element.

2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
158 Campgrounds since we retired in 2009

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 09:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bigbullelk wrote:

2. Fill the fresh water holding tank using hose water. (Can I simply connect the hose w/ a pressure regulator and avoid filling up the holding tank at this point?)

3. Turn on the on-board pump.

Yes, you can simply connect your hose with a pressure regulator and avoid filling your tanks BUT do not turn on your on-board pump if you do that. The water pressure is all that you need to flow the water through the pipes and the system. IF you fill your fresh water tank only, then use your pump.

Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 10:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have an outside shower make sure to flush it out also.

1996 Suburban 4x4. 350, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

dons2346

Sioux Falls, SD, formerly of So. CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 09:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think it is easier to just hop in and head south

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> step by step dewinterize AND sanitize guide - good,bad,ugly?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS