RV.Net Open Roads Forum: step by step dewinterize AND sanitize guide - good,bad,ugly?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> step by step dewinterize AND sanitize guide - good,bad,ugly?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
NanciL

Bakersville, NC, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 03:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NC Hauler wrote:

...if I had to remember all these list, I'd be in trouble...For years and years and years, all I've done has been hook up to city water, take the hot water heater out of bypass and then turn water on in kitchen sink, bathroom sink, shower (each of those cold first, then hot water), flush the commode and go outside and turn on the outside shower, hot and cold....that's it, no more, no less.....

you can open the low points and let what little antifreeze is in the system pour out before you start, but again, it's really a very simple procedure to de-winterize....but I don't carry water around with me so maybe that helps some..

just hook up and flush....no big deal, not rocket science, really quite simple...

Times 2 again.
I don't understand why anyone would want to make a big deal out of it
Jack L

Jack & Nanci

bigbullelk

Atlanta

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/12 05:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the help, folks. I'm not trying to make this more difficult than it needs to be. I just prefer to have a procedure for myself that way I don't have to remember anything! My memory is not what it use to be. Plus, I'm kind of new to this and don't want to screw anything up and then make it even more difficult.

I think maybe I have confused the issue by having the de-winterizing step and the sanitizing step in the same post. My intent was to de-winterize and then immediately sanitize, and I was trying to lay out the steps to set myself up to do that.

Are there any fatal flaws in what I have laid out in my revised plan?

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 06:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your steps look very similar to what I do, and probably a lot of other people. It just looks like a lot when you write out every step.

I usually don't bother opening the low point drains when flushing out the pink stuff or bleach, the flushing seems to take care of everything.

You may have to flush out the pink stuff a few times to get it all out... but don't panic, it is supposed to be "safe" and non-toxic if there is a little bit left.

I usually just flush my system once after sanitizing it. A little chlorine smell doesn't bother me, we use a Brita filter jug for drinking water when camping.

I don't think there will be any staining issues when you drain your system. You will be flushing with so much fresh water it should just all wash away.

If your neighbors question you draining the camper's black tank, just turn towards them with your bomber hat, tattered robe, cigar, and MeisterBrau beer in one hand and shout "Sh***er's full!".

reinita

Lansing, Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/12 08:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just have Camping World do it and write a check.

Forest River Sunseeker 3170 bunkhouse. We travel with a shih tzu, a leonberger and, oh, yeah, two teens and a 7-year-old.

NC Hauler

Asheville NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/12 09:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

reinita wrote:

I just have Camping World do it and write a check.

....again, just hook up to city water and flush away...you can do it at home, really it's no big deal....If I wanted to put a satellite on the roof, then I'd get someone to maybe do it....but to pay someone to winterize and/or de-winterize my rv??.....just too easy for me to do then give money to someone to do it for me...

Jim & Kathy
2013 Dodge 3500DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin tranny/4:10/Cummins: 385HP/850TQ
06 HR Presidential Suite 37RLQ/SK3005 Satellite/Splendide XC2100/4slide/dual pane windows
2014 Jeep Compass Ltd 4X4
Boxers;Buddy& Sheba II
USAF 71-75 Nam Vet

bigbullelk

Atlanta

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/11/12 07:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tvov wrote:

If your neighbors question you draining the camper's black tank, just turn towards them with your bomber hat, tattered robe, cigar, and MeisterBrau beer in one hand and shout "Sh***er's full!".

Thanks, Tvov! And that is one of my favorite movies --- a classic. Cousin Eddie better not show up at my house!

Heylea

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/12 10:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a beginner, I will be relying on detailed lists like this until experience burns it into my brain. Our biggest fear is to forget some important step (like forgetting to fill the water heater before turning it on :-)), so checklists are great!

I LOVE Cousin Eddie!

Heylea
Class A TBD in 2013
2009 Jeep Compas Rallye 4x4 5-sp manual

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> step by step dewinterize AND sanitize guide - good,bad,ugly?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS