|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Al ko axle problem

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
nkfd148

home

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 07:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2004 shamrock by Forest River. Just noticed tire wear on inside of one tire of one axle. Same wear on opposite side, opposite axle. Looking at several posts it would seem Al Ko has a quality control prob. I only put about 750mi per yr so the prob took several yrs to show. It also looks like Al Ko will not has not stood behind their product. Any one else out there with this prob. lately?? Should I just put Dexters on it??

pulsar

Lewisville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 08:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from Forum Technical Support.

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 08:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure how you can think it is Al-Ko problem on a set of axles that have been under your trailer since 2004? Stand behind a set of axles 6 years out of warranty??
How many pot holes have you hit? How many curbs have you run over? How much weight do you have on the axles? Geeze fella take it to a truck shop and have the axles aligned and go camping. There are dozens of reasons for the axles to get out of alignment. Most of them NOT the fault of the manufacturer.

Don,Lorri,Max (The Rescue Flat Coat Retriever?)
The Other Dallas

dbbls

Missouri

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 08:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Al-Ko did have a problem with improper camber in 02 to 04. They did change out some axles for people but I don't know if they still would now. Give them a call. I found that they were very good to work with.

2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 09:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most axle problems come from curb hopping or other physical damage to the axles. Pot holes, overloading are also common reasons for bent axles. Really no different that when a car or truck needs front end alignment only there are no adjustments by which to make corrections. For what it's worth, Dexter would be damaged by the same type of hazards.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 10:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, it's not AlKo's issue - why after all this time would it be? Take it to an alignment shop that does trailers. They actually have to bend them to align but it's a good investment and you'll end up with axles that are straighter than most.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2004 Forest River 25RKS many, many mods.
POS H0NDA eu2000i

nkfd148

home

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 07:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Donn0128 - Easy pal, just looking for suggestions or similar stories and remedies. I though forums were supposed to be friendly, like say....camping? Read my post again without bias. I'm not a dope, if I mistreated the rig I would not even suggest a manufacturer problem. However, I have very few but easy miles on it. I know what a pot hole or curb feels like and 'that is not the prob.' I would consider it Al Ko's responsibility if the axles were manufactured poorly which looks possible given what I have found online. In my novice opinion, if an axle is bent both tires will be affected. Only one tire on each axle is wearing on the inside. There are plastic retainers on the ends of the axles where the rubber cords end, they are broken and the cords are exposed, it just looks sloppy. If anyone has constructive thoughts, pls reply.

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 08:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nkfd148 wrote:

Donn0128 - Easy pal, just looking for suggestions or similar stories and remedies. I though forums were supposed to be friendly, like say....camping? Read my post again without bias. I'm not a dope, if I mistreated the rig I would not even suggest a manufacturer problem. However, I have very few but easy miles on it. I know what a pot hole or curb feels like and 'that is not the prob.' I would consider it Al Ko's responsibility if the axles were manufactured poorly which looks possible given what I have found online. In my novice opinion, if an axle is bent both tires will be affected. Only one tire on each axle is wearing on the inside. There are plastic retainers on the ends of the axles where the rubber cords end, they are broken and the cords are exposed, it just looks sloppy. If anyone has constructive thoughts, pls reply.

Maybe you should re word your original post then. Because from my seat it sure appears you are complaining about a product that is 7 years out of warranty. And the mfg not standing behind it. I was not the only one who thought that BTW.

301TBS

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 10:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ya, its supposed to be a friendly forum, open to conversation. As for tire wear, manufacturers will use the least expensive components to keep price down. You are not the only one with that problem. Google Gulf Stream Visa tire wear and you will see they put weak axles in them too. Good luck, and try and keep out of the fields with that thing.
Oh and welcome to the forum.

* This post was edited 03/09/12 06:34pm by 301TBS *

2012 Crossroads Z1 271B
2009 F150 4x4,4.6,3v. 6spd. 3.73/9.75
Reese dual cam

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 08:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nkfd148 wrote:

I have a 2004 shamrock by Forest River. Just noticed tire wear on inside of one tire of one axle. Same wear on opposite side, opposite axle. Looking at several posts it would seem Al Ko has a quality control prob. I only put about 750mi per yr so the prob took several yrs to show. It also looks like Al Ko will not has not stood behind their product. Any one else out there with this prob. lately?? Should I just put Dexters on it??

Bu these two statements you are making some misguided decisions.
1) Al-Ko has QC problems. Fact is they HAD a problem with SOME axles that were installed on SOME 2004/2005 model year trailers. Not all axles had problems. Mine are perfect in 7 years.
2) You said "will not has not" When in fact they did take care of those axles having problems when they were notified within the warranty period. And in some instances they took care of the axle problem as long as a year out of warranty.
By your comments you are indicating to me that you are expecting Al-KO fix the axle problem you are seeing when the trailer is 8 model years old. As to a fix, take it to a truck/trailer shop and have them do an axle alignment for you. Cost? Maybe $150 dollars.
New axles complete with brakes? Maybe $6-700 dollars.
Sorry if I came across wrong, but you also came across wrong.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Al ko axle problem
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS