|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> dually and WDH

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
wolfcat1

Vidor, Tx.

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 08:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just read a thread that left me a little confused...If you are pulling with a dually, does that negate the need for a WDH??
thnks,
wolfie

djgarcia

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 08:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Allowing for some possible exceptions, IMHO the answer would be NO!
It is cheap preventative insurance

Dick
djgarcia1939@gmail.com

Artemus Gordon

Redding California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 08:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use one on my F450....

jmtandem

western nevada

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 09:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have no idea what thread you just read. However, a WDH is not sway control although in some cases the hitch does a function of both. The theory and function of a WDH for weight distribution is largely negated by the one ton dually truck's suspension. Where to and why are you trying to redistribute tongue weight from the rear axle of the truck. Most trucks, especially those with diesel engines, have all the weight they would ever want over the front axle and adding weight to the rear axle only helps balance the truck. Does adding 1000-1200 pounds tongue weight make the ride better, if so, then why try to redistribute any of the weight?

The delivery guys typically use one ton trucks and don't mess with WD and some don't even mess with sway mitigation.

If you choose to try not using a WD hitch, you still might want to have a sway feature and also be absolutely certain the truck's receiver can handle the tongue weight without WD.

I tow with a one ton dually and can absolutely assure you that 1200 pounds tongue weight has almost no bearing on the trucks ability to tow and, if anything, it actually helps soften the stock ride a little.

'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.
'09 299bhs Tango.

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 11:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

Yes some owners ignore the hitch weight rating stamped right on the hitch they are hooking up to, and tow without a weight distribution system.

However if you read the hitch rating, it clearly states something like this.

Deadweight limit 5,000 pounds / 500 hitch weight. With weight distribution bars 10,000 pounds / 1,000 pound hitch weight.

So check out your hitch. It might be good for 7,000 pounds without a WD bar system, or might might not be. IF rated at 12,000 pounds, I will bet it says that is WITH the weight distribution system, if it was a factory made hitch.

I made one with the help of a certified welder, and will tell you it will not fall apart with 10,000 pounds on a conventional hitch, without the WD bars, but it is made much stronger than the average store bought hitch, with a 3" square cross tube make out of 1/4" cold rolled steel, and 2-1/2" receiver holder make out of 1/4" wall steel tube as well, going through the center of that 3" tubing, and welded all the way around with a good 1/4" wide ark weld, with deep penetration. That is attached to 5/16" thick plates that attached to my F-350 with 6 bolts, 1/2" diameter, grade 8 tightened to 120 foot pounds.

I am quite sure that hitch is as strong as the frame it is attached to! I would worry more about breaking a engine mount than that hitch.

Yes I agree I would be using a weight distribution hitch system - even when towing with a F-450.

That said, I did see a 40' long movie set restroom trailer being towed with a dually that did not have WD bars, and the rear axle on that F-650 did not squat one inch. I don't think the driver knew if there was a sway problem, the truck looked pretty stable.

Fred.

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 01:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NOT ALL hitches are rated at the number golden hvac mentioned. The hitch on my truck is good to around 12K deadwt, 14500 or there abouts with a WD. My old truck, I had a hitch put on from Torq-lift, that was good to 10K be it dead wt or WD setup.

In reality, I have found that when the HW starts to pull too much wt of the FA< you lose steering etc, then you need a WD system. A lot seems to depend upon both the RA capacity, WB, how much the FA weighs, and overhang to the ball mount. My Navistar with a 15K RA< approx 6K per axel unladen, I put 1500 lbs of HW from my ET on it, barely 60 lbs comes off the FA. My CC dually with an 8500 lbs ra capacity, loses about 200, with a 7500 RA, I lost closer to 300, 6400 a bit over 300. If I put said trailer on my 6000 lb RA Reg cab with a 350 in the front, the head lights point to the sky! The navistar has the hitch the closest to the RA< the other rigs were pickups, one with multiple RA spring capacities as I changed it thru the 12 yrs I owned it.

At the end of the day, it is possible a dually may not need a wd for a given trailer, where as a 3.4 might be borderline, a half ton would need a WD system to make it such that the head lights point to the ground etc.

Marty

05 Chev CC D/A LS Dooley

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
00 Chev C2500, V5700, 4L80E, 4.10, base truck, no options!
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer
3 Single axle utility trailers

Check RV.Net Blogs at: blog.rv.net

bucky

Eastern Shore of MD

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 04:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ski and HVAC are both correct in my opinion. My TW is too high to run without WD, but the truck can certainly handle it. The hitch is my weak point.

I just realized that my last 4 trucks were gas GMC, diesel Ford, gas Chevy, and now a diesel Dodge. I didn't realize I was so open minded lol.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> dually and WDH
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS