|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Trailer Length Max

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
GottaRunGottaCamp

East of Atlanta, Ga.

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 06:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2004 Sport Trac Adrenalin 4x2 with the 4.0 V6 and towing package of 5300lbs, I have a 6x10 enclosed V-nose motorcycle trailer, when I put two motorcycles in the trailer is weighs 3500lbs and let me tell you that this is a lot for the small truck to haul. Now the 2007 has a different body style but it still is the 4.0V6 and if it was my daughter I would not suggest anything more than a pop-up JMHO.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 08:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ford does not RATE any of their tow vehicle for length. they like almost all others use only weight for their rating. As long as their ACTUAL weight is within the maximum ADJUSTED rating for her Explorer she will be just fine. Adjustments are, as always to reduce Fords rating pound for pound to compensate for weight of any passengers, cargo or optional equipment on the tow vehicle. Biggest error made is to try and use the DRY weight (which means absolutely NOTHING in the trailer) and NOBODY will go to the trouble to drag around an empty trailer.

Good luck / Skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

TECMike

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 10:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tell her to look at a Casita. This would be a wonderful choice for one person and a child.

Easy to tow, hookup and low maintenance. We have owned two of them. Our choice is the 17" Spirit Deluxe. You buy straight from the factory, eliminating dealers.

Tell her to check out the Casitaforum.com. Wonderful group of folks there. Casitas have very high resale value compared to other RVs. The great folks at the Casitaforum are always willing to help with advice.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 11:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Starcraft has a nice line of compact, self-contained, lightweight travel trailers called the AR-ONE. The 14RB is good for parents and one kid. The 16BH has two rear bunks for multiple kids, so Mom doesn't have to sleep on the dinette or daughter can bring a friend.

They would be ideal behind a smaller tow vehicle like an Explorer SportTrac (essentially a crewcab Ranger).

2002 Chevy 3500 DRW/8.1/Allison & 2000 Palomino B1500 popup TC

-Yes, I haul a popup with a dually. No, I don't think I need a dually to haul a popup.

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 05:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So much depends on which Sport Trac you get. The V8, and 130" WB will tow more than the 125", and V6 will. Best way to know what it will tow. Look in the owner's manual. It's in there.

As for length. You will run out of weight, Long before you run out of length. Just stay inside ford's recommended weights, and the length will take care of itself.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
04 F150, 5.4, Lariat SuperCab
Lazy Campers

Camperjack11

Kingsley Ia

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 07:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DO NOT GO WITH A SINGEL AXEL,

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 08:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Camperjack11 wrote:

And why would that be?

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2003 Prowler Lynx 722F #5000 GVWR and weighs every bit of it! Happy Camping!

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/12 03:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MitchF150 wrote:

Camperjack11 wrote:

And why would that be?

Mitch

X2

Quick trip

Cerritos, Ca.

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/12 06:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have her look at a "Casitas" egg.
17' and under.

Mickeyfan0805

SE Mass

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/12 06:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As others have said - the weight is a much more important consideration than length. That said, I've been towing a 4,500lb, 22' hybrid with my Explorer. I have replaced that with a more capable TV - but that was a decision on power, NOT handling. It was v6, and the engine worked hard to pull it. However, never once did I feel I had any trouble controlling it.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Trailer Length Max
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS