RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Big Bend or Palo Duro?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Big Bend or Palo Duro?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 09:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have some time off during the 3rd full week of March and am thinking about where to go for 2 or 3 days of camping time. Someplace to do a little light hiking and photography, and enjoy some peace and quiet. I am thinking about two places I've never been to yet:
Palo Duro Canyon SP, 400 miles away
Big Bend NP, 800 miles away

Between the two, which would you pick and why? Anyone been to both and care to give me some comparisons/contrasts between the two? Thanks in advance.

Mike G.
2008 Toyota Highlander, 2010 Aliner Ranger 12

former owner of Starcraft popup, 23' Rockwood TT, 17' Burro TT, 16' KZ TT

TubaPete

Comstock Park, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 10:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've been to both. My preference is Big Bend. It's more open and has it's own ecology. For me Palo Dura, while very nice, is too close to "civilization."

But for only two or three days I would pick Palo Dura. it's hard to justify the extra driving if you can only stay a fwe days. Palo Dura has some nice hiking and a cliff/wall that is intersting to climb. Both have a lot of photo ops.

Tuba Pete

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 05:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been to both and I'll have to go along with the Palo Duro recommendations. Not that Big Bend isn't good but that's a lot farther away. Palo Duro has some very interesting history too, it was a Comanche campground and there was a big battle fought there with the US Calvary. They had an out door theater there last time I was there and did dinner theaters shows.

Glendale Titanium 29E34TS fifth wheel
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
PullRite OE Series Super5th 18K
Superbumper

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 06:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2 for Palo Duro..

Noel and Betty Johnson
2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 wife, 1 Poodle

rseymour21

Dallas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 10:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll agree withTubaPete, from Ok, Big Bend is a long trip. Plus if your going that far down there, drop by Davis mountain state park.

For a short trip Palo Duro is nice, and still early enough to not be hot. Enjoy your trip whichever you choose.

2003 F250 7.3L
2008 Cougar 292RK

mockturtle

WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 10:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Big Bend. My favorite place on the planet.

2000 Born Free 24RB Class C
6.8L Ford V-10 Engine, E450 Chassis

huachuca

Tarboro, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 06:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Big Bend
Light hiking - The Window, Lost Mine, Ernst Tinaja, Hot Springs, Balancing Rock, The Chimneys, Lower Burro Mesa, Upper Burro Mesa Pouroff,Santa Elena Canyon, Boquillas Canyon,Pine Canyon, Emory Peak, Cattail Canyon (not on map; ask ranger or campground host for directions). Then there is the South Rim; long (14 mi) but doable dayhike and the most awesome views in the southwest.

Photography - I'm awful with a camera but Big Bend somehow makes my poor attempts look pretty good. Cacti should be blooming at this time.

Peace and quiet - 800,000+ acres and one of the least visited NPs. Cottonwod campground on the west side is the most remote. You might also consider one of the roadside dispersed sites if you really want to be alone. There is minimal light pollution and the night sky is incredible.

I think Spring Break is next week (the busiet time in the Park) but check www.recreation.gov to make sure sites are available for your visit.

We usually spend a couple of days in Palo Duro when visiting Texas. Its a great Park but it ain't Big Bend. The Lighthouse is a good day hike. The campground at the far end, Mesquite I think, is the most remote.

We're from NC and its nearly 2K miles each way but still well worth the trip and we'll be in BB for a week over Easter - Can't wait.

Al & Cindy

TECMike

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 06:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been to both and I agree that Big Bend would be my choice, along with Davis Mountains State Park, which is close.

While stopping at Davis Mountain State Park, you can tour the McDonald Observatory which is close, along with historic old Ft. Davis, which has been reconstructed.

Best advice is not to pass any gas stations when traveling in that area. Keep your tank full. The distances are very long and gas stations can be remote in the Big Bend area.

rockportrocket

on hyway 77

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 07:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2-3 days, 400 plus extra miles. Im for Palo Duro.

accsys

Green Cove Springs, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 07:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went to both last year - Big Bend in the Spring and Palo Duro in the late Summer. Our blog entry for Big Bend is here and our entry for Palo Duro is here. Big Bend is HUGE and takes much longer to see and obviously a lot more to see. Palo Duro is much smaller and the campground is down on the canyon floor with great campsites. Canyon, TX is just a short drive from the canyon and has some nice restaurants and the usual shopping opportunities. Big Bend is very remote and close to nothing else. We enjoyed both as each had its own unique qualities.

John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2007 Tiffin Phaeton QDH 40 w/Cat 7 350
2004 Liberty Renegade 4x4 Toad
Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow bar
Air Force One toad braking system
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Big Bend or Palo Duro?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS