RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Mileage....yeah, I know.....

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Mileage....yeah, I know.....

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
PapPappy

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/12 11:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just read a post about using your TC to avoid having to worry about lack of sleep when you need to get to work early or stay late....and it got me thinking?

What would be the best mileage I could expect with a lightweight TC (maybe a pop-up type, for low profile) that would have the basics (bed, head, kitchen).

I know it would depend on the truck, and that most TCs really need to be on a 3/4T which won't get very good mileage, but do some of these new lightweights fit on a F-150 with gearing that will give me MPG vs. power....I don't really care if I might burn more fuel going up a hill or something.

Just wondering?

We've got a 31' "C", and it's great for the whole family, but I was thinking about myself, when I'm driving between NC and NY/CT/MA to get to/from work. I usually just pull over and try and sleep with my 6'7" frame jammed in my little Honda Fit (surprisingly roomy)...but fantasize about sleeping in a bed

Anyone have what I'm looking for?....a TC that gets 25-30 mpg?

Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008 FMCA# F407293
The Pets

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 11:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Toyota Prius Camper...

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

Mello Mike

Mesa, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 05:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What you're looking for doesn't exist yet. What you really need is a 1/2 ton pickup with a diesel. There's been talk of Ford putting out a diesel F150. I'd love to see it, but with a diesel you usually lose payload.

The 3.5L ecoboost that Ford is producing now comes close to what you're looking for as it gets around 21-23 MPGs, but with a camper that would be reduced. In your situation a diesel van conversion would probably be better, but that would give you 2 motorhomes.

* This post was edited 03/10/12 05:59am by Mello Mike *

2011 Wolf Creek 850N/Polar Cub/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Morningstar Sunsaver PWM CC
2013 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L CTD/3.42/Big Wig SB/Torklift TDs w/Fastguns
2011 Jeep Compass w/4x4 Package
US Navy Ret.
My Truck Camper Adventures

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 06:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sabconsulting

What is your total weight with camper on and loaded to go ?

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A

sabconsulting

High Wycombe, UK

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 01:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

25-30MPG?

I get 25MPG with my truck camper on - BUT that is a compact turbo-diesel truck of a type that you don't get in the US.

Maybe one of those small Japanese vans that convert into a camper - if you could get one with a modern turbo diesel (don't know if they are available in the US) you should get 30MPG +.

Steve.

'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'92 Suzuki Samurai 4x4 1.6
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2
'10 Citroen DS3 1.6 turbo

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 12:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PapPappy wrote:

Anyone have what I'm looking for?....a TC that gets 25-30 mpg?

Depends...if enough of your commute is straight downhill, you might double your gas mileage by cutting the engine and coasting half the time.

If the drive's on the flat, walking to/from (starting at the halfway point) would work, too.

Hope this helps!

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Dragonfly

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 09:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have already posted too much on this so if you are interested Personal Message me. I am using the new Heavy Duty F150, with HD payload and HD trailering pkg and the Ecoboost (2400-3200 lb payload), with a very light camper. It won't get you 25 mpg but empty you might get 20-21. I don't have mileage figures when loaded with the Truck Camper yet. Of course it will be less, but better than a bigger truck. I just sold a 23 foot motor home so the transition to a light truck camper on a half ton is a culture shock. Before making the decision to do it, BE SURE. The folks with larger trucks are right. If you don't buy more truck than you need now, if you decide to upgrade it is too late.

DRAGONFLY - 2014, 19' Airstream Flying Cloud, towed by a Ford F-150, 4WD, extended cab, long bed, with Ecoboost engine, max payload & tow pkg, and 8200 lbs GVWR

billtex

RI

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 11:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dragonfly wrote:

I am using the new Heavy Duty F150, with HD payload and HD trailering pkg and the Ecoboost (2400-3200 lb payload), with a very light camper.

You should update your sig...

2006 Chevy D/A CC
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

Grub

Pierre

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 07:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

About the best way to accomplish this would as some others have said get a small van. Personally I think it would be worth it to slap a VW TDI in there, save on gas x2!

You could install a small head, bed and such where the seating is, more or less making your own conversion van.

Any day enjoying the great outdoors beats any day enjoying your 8x8 office cube!

recycler

michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 06:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mello Mike wrote:

What you're looking for doesn't exist yet. What you really need is a 1/2 pickup with a diesel. There's been talk of Ford putting out a diesel F150. I'd love to see it, but with a diesel you usually lose payload.

The 3.5L ecoboost that Ford is producing now comes close to what you're looking for as it gets around 21-23 MPGs, but with a camper that would be reduced. In your situation a diesel van conversion would probably be better, but that would give you 2 motorhomes.

to bad dodge didn't put 4bt cummins engines into half tons would fit your need prefectly with shortbed pop up...have seen guys posting 25/28 miles per with them in lifted bronco's and such

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Mileage....yeah, I know.....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS