RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: If not Silicone then what?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> If not Silicone then what?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
stugpanzer

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 11:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used silicone to seal around some windows and when I installed my Cyclone Sewer Vent. I only just recently read about why I should not use Silicone, so before anything bad happens, I would like to remove the Silicone and use the proper stuff. But, what is the proper stuff? What should I use instead of Silicone? Thanks!

2006 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37C
Mods: EEZRV Products TPMS, Cobra 29LX 50th Anniversary CB radio with Firestik NGP Antenna, Self contained sewer hose

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 11:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CampingWorld.com sells rubber roof sealant. IT works great!

Fred.

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 11:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The RV Manufacturers usually use Buytl Tape or Sealant.

As an experiment I used a white 50 year guaranteed Red Devil GeoCel latex caulk with great results, 8 years and still perfectly sealed.

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

badboy368

OHIO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 01:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pro-Seal... works great

40' pusher,350 turbo cat, pullin a 37' trailer haulin a drag car. oh yea baby

jerseyjim

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 02:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can't see where silicone does any harm. I use it on darm near everything. Sealing windows, etc....never noticed any "harm".

When it comes to the roof....every two years I get up there and re-seal the seams and all...I use self-leveling DiCor roof sealant...which is (as far as I know) a silicone type product. The one of two times one of the vent-covers broke, I put a new one on...used the DiCor simply because I had it. Otherwise, I would have used out-of-the-tube silicon.

harold1946

Surprise Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 06:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stugpanzer wrote:

I used silicone to seal around some windows and when I installed my Cyclone Sewer Vent. I only just recently read about why I should not use Silicone, so before anything bad happens, I would like to remove the Silicone and use the proper stuff. But, what is the proper stuff? What should I use instead of Silicone? Thanks!

Silicone has been used for many years by many RVers with good results.The main reason many do not prefer it is the difficulty to remove it when its time to reseal and almost nothing will adhere to it, not even more silicone. All residue must be removed before any re-application.
Dicor self leveling sealent is preferred by many for its ease of use and re-application. A thorough cleaning with acetone or alcohol is all that is needed and any suspect areas can be re-coated. To remove it when needed a heat gun or hair dryer and putty knife is all that is needed. Again a thorough cleaning with acetone before re-sealing.
Eternabond tape is gaining in popularity but I have no rxperience with it so I can not comment. Others may be able to advise.
Flex seal is another product being used but I have not used it.
I do not see any need to remove the silicone you just applied as long as there is a good seal. It is going to be a major chore to remove so I would recomend doing so only when needed. No need to push the panic button.

* This post was edited 03/09/12 06:37am by harold1946 *

Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer toad

Clay L

Palisade CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 09:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To really do a good job the window should be removed and new butyl tape applied.

Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 06:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Silicone will NOT adhere to EPDM (rubber) roofs and rarely will adhere properly to Fiberglas roofs. Using it on sidewall window/door type and side seam type applications is OK. You always need to research each item you need to seal and what products are designed for that product/application. Doug

Lady Fitzgerald

Tempe, AZ, USA, Earth

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 06:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Silicone used to be the best thing out there (and still is for certain, limited applications, like building aquariums) but there are better products available now. The main drawback to silicone, other than not lasting as long, is nothing will stick to it, including itself, once it has cured. All traces have to be removed before resealing, painting, etc. which can be quite a chore.

Since you have already used silicone, I would just leave it and inspect for leaks or other soigns of failure every few months, the same as you normally would for the rest of your rig. Depending on exposure and application, it could last for quite some time. When the silicone eventually does show signs of failing (all sealants will fail; some just do it sooner than others), it may be easier to remove then than it would now.

Jeannie

Sully2

Cincinnati

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 06:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stugpanzer wrote:

If its working...leave it alone. Silicon CAN work...and DOES work....but its probably going to be one real S.O.B. to get free. Has a tenancy to glue itself.

2000 Country Coach Allure; Cummins ISC 330 HP; 71/2 - 8 MPG regardless
2002 Jeep Liberty

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> If not Silicone then what?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: