|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Using an 18 volt electric drill for stabilizing jacks

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
beemerphile1

I'm 58, I'm not a

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 06:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ryobi drills are the Home Depot store brand and are a cheap product. Their advantage is that they are inexpensive. If you have the Ryobi with the Ni-Cad battery they aren't very strong. There are much better brands and it makes a difference, I have lots of experience with a lot of brands.

I bought a Ryobi 18v Lithium impact driver for using with the jacks.

A poor man seeks riches, a rich man seeks power, but a wise man seeks contentment.

2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900/1998 Ford E150 4.6L = 8MPG
2009 Aliner Sport/2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L = 22MPG

JRS & B

Florida/Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 06:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree that the screw drive might need cleaning.

The jacks do accumulate a lot of dirt on the road. If you greese them they attract dust and debris. If you don't lubricate them they get rusty.

Mine got so bad I used a 1/2 inch drive 110 volt drill and a can of penetrating oil, and ran the jacks completely up and down about a dozen times. Now they work better than new.

sheltonlp

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 06:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Milwaukee 18v Impact Drill works great...haven't tried a non-impact style drill, maybe that's the key.

2012 Evergreen Everlite 32RBK-DS
2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Rock Warrior

the_happiestcamper

Mount Pleasant, SC

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 07:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RVbikers wrote:

uscgcolletti wrote:

I don't use an 18V drill.
I use my 12 year old son.

my 14 year old son, 12 year old step son & 10 year old step daughter actually fight over this job.

The first time one of my sons did this (he was 10 at the time), I was hooking up electric and water while he was cranking the front ones down. I came back to the front of the camper and found the tongue jack a foot off the ground - he knows the proper way to do it now.

Me ('62), DW ('61), DS ('97), DS ('99), DD ('03)
2003 Yukon XL 2500 8.1L 4.10 axle
2010 Dutchmen 28G-GS

CG's we've been to

JRS & B

Florida/Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 07:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Forgot. Now that I cleaned them up, the screw jacks work fine using a very old 9 volt Dewalt drill.

Oasisbob

Portland Oregon 97266

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 08:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use my kids for this. Never run out of power.

Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife & 4 Really Fun kids
2008 KIA Sedona 3.8L 24 valve V-6
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 08:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes I do. I can have all six of my stab jacks lowered and set by the time most get their drill out and hooked up. Besides my Doc tells me I NEED more exercise

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Mark and Linda

Smyrna, Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 08:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use a Dewalt also, plus the handcrank. I took a 12 inch 3/8" extension that was damaged on one end, and cut it off with my Dreml. It will go into my drill and then a socket. It makes putting the stabilizers up and down easy. I also have a speed handle that I use if needed. I took some velcro and made some holders for the other handle that came with the TT plus the awning rod.

JesLookin

Appleton,WI

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 08:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not all drills are created equal. Just because it is 18V doesn't mean it has enough torque to do the job. There are lots of 18V drills with lots of different torque ratings. I would guess that most will work, but I know some won't.

At most hardware stores you can get a 3/8" socket driver with a hex end that will fit into the drill. Then get a 3/4" socket that will fit a 3/8" drive.

2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2003 Dodge 2500 Diesel, quad cab, short bed

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 08:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You may have to contact Binford Tools... ask for Tim "the tool man" to help you find one... One of my kids actually gave me a Binford Tools cap for christmas one year to wear. Dont know where she got that from. I'm sure you can get an adapter from your local Lowes tool department. Ours is pretty well stocked...

I got an free adapter from the dealer when I purchased my OFF-ROAD POPUP. They added it to the gift bag of water hoses, toliet paper, a couple of lamp bulbs, and a few other free items. Whenever they ask "Is there any anything else we can do for you" - I hand them a list hehe...

I was eye-balling the 25-foot Rv extension cord they had the trailer hooked-up to for the final walk-thru. The Lady salesperson said "I gotta go to the bath room" when she came back she noticed the extension cord was still laying on the ground. Then she said again "I gotta go to the bathroom" Thats when I figured out what she was telling me haha. So I layed it inside the trailer on the floor in plain view. No one at the dealership ever moved it. You never know until you ask I guess...

Thats the cable the wife ran over here with the lawn tractor that was hooking my trailer up to the garage 15A circuit. Didnt even spark she said.. There must be a moral story here... Now I have two 12-foot extension cords.

The walk-thu inspection day was a strange day anyway. The dealer guys was using a Sear LT1000 lawn tractor to move their trailers around on the lot and they had my trailer positioned where they could hook-up to my truck. They had almost cut the trailer cord in half being pinched when hooked up to the lawn tractor. So they had to install a new cord before I got to leave with my trailer.

Even after doing that I noticed not much braking action on my electric brakes going the 60 mile trip home but made it home just fine. After looking I noticed they didnt have the Twist Nut on real good when they replaced the trailer cable. They was in a hurry to get me out I guess haha...

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - PM me
Roy and Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS
POPUP PHOTOs-Pg52

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Using an 18 volt electric drill for stabilizing jacks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers