|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> satellite box

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
racer99

channahon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 08:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am trying to figure out how I can get TV stations at state parks without spending couple hundred dollars-I was told to go to Walmart and buy a inverter box-I went back later and the people that told me had packed up and left so I didn't get alot of info or see what it looks like but the lady said she paid 50 bucks at Walmart-Any help would be appreciated-RICH

rr2254545

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 08:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No way that I know of you were misinformed.

2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited, Air Force One
183 Campgrounds in the past 5 years

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 08:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perhaps they were talking about an on air antenna and amplifier box. This would help you get local channels only but would not be of much more use than your standard crank-up antenna.

Dale.Traveling

Newport News, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 08:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rich, I'm going to guess that with an older coach your TV is a non-digital model and you cannot receive the free to air broadcasts. Plus there’s no telling how far out in the woods you’ll be staying heading to various state parks. A digital to analog convertor will fix that but I have found the convertors are a bit lacking pulling in distant or weak signals.

Going to satellite on a budget is possible. Your largest expense is the service provider box. Each has their own just like cable TV and you don't have to buy the box from the provider. I found mine on eBay for just over $120. For an antenna you can find a former residential model on Craig’s List, eBay and restores for next to nothing. Antenna setup and aiming is an art and will take practice but isn’t impossible.

Before you buy anything you will need to pick a service provider which will dictate which antenna and receiver you will need. I went with Dish and my monthly subscription is $30 without HD channels. The former owner of my coach installed the roof mounted in motion antenna but I find staying in the Virginia State parks the trees block the antenna’s view of the satellites and I end up using a former residential manual setup and aim antenna most of the time. Also I replaced the analog tv in my coach with a digital HD model and double my free channels over what the convertor box was giving me.
Dale

2006 Hurricane 31D aka 'Moby' the Whale
FCC(SW) US Navy Retired 1980-2003
Stella my Navigator
Bogart the All American RV Dog
and
Cocoui waiting for me at the Rainbow Bridge

Clay L

Palisade CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 09:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I suspect they were talking about a converter box that will allow your older TV to pick up "off the air" (OTA) TV stations. Since most TV stations went digital a few years ago the converter box is required to pick up OTA stations. Used with the usual Winegard batwing antenna with built in amplifier you can pick up local STATIONS.

Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

2oldman

Coachella

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 09:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Satellite?

rvrepairnut

bc

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 10:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

racer99 wrote:

I am trying to figure out how I can get TV stations at state parks without spending couple hundred dollars-I was told to go to Walmart and buy a inverter box-I went back later and the people that told me had packed up and left so I didn't get alot of info or see what it looks like but the lady said she paid 50 bucks at Walmart-Any help would be appreciated-RICH

best thing to do is bit the bullet and install a new LCD TV and a good wineguard Roof antenna

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 11:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Clay L wrote:

I suspect they were talking about a converter box that will allow your older TV to pick up "off the air" (OTA) TV stations. Since most TV stations went digital a few years ago the converter box is required to pick up OTA stations. Used with the usual Winegard batwing antenna with built in amplifier you can pick up local STATIONS.

X-2! The "inverter box" was probably a "digital converter box" which allows old TVs to receive the new digital channels.

As to "trying to figure out how I can get TV stations at state parks without spending couple hundred dollars", exactly what is the problem? Old TV, poor signal, or no signal. There are lots of factors which can affect us in receiving TV signals. Maybe we can help diagnose the problem and help solve it.

* This post was edited 03/09/12 12:05pm by wny_pat *

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

racer99

channahon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 09:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK let me give more info since I am totally confused-I replaced the batwing with the Jack antenna but there is no amplifier or booster in the system-with the jack's antenna I am getting one local station very clear but nothing else no matter where I turn antenna-fellow at local RV center told me a red light is suppose to light up but I haven't found any light yet-still open to suggestions-Thanks Rich

steelpony5555

Copperas Cove Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 10:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok you replaced your batwing with a Jack antenna. The batwing is normally an ampified antenna and needs cranked up and down. The Jack does not need cranked up and down but it is powered or ampified according to the instructions. I do not have one or do I know of anyone that does but it says that a LED light comes on on the antenna if there is power to it and the ads say it is an ampified antenna. Just with the Jack it is built in and the batwing there is a wall plate with a tiny button to turn it off and on. The box they were telling you about was a digital converter box and yes Walmart should have them for $50. Most over the air channels are now digital but your older TV's are analog so they do not pick up digital siganls. So make sure you have power to the antenna....get a converter box and you plug the coax from the antenna into the box and the out coax from the box to your TV. Now you will have to do a channel search on the box not the TV to locate channels. You will have to change channels with the converter box remote and operate the sound with the TV's remote. Believe me this is all a big PITA and you will want to go back to Walmart and buy a digital flat screen as soon as you can.

06 Montana 3000RK
10 Dodge 3500 Dually Laramie 6.7 Diesel
07 Pearl White Ultra Classic (My new Baby)
10 Cadillac CTS
Texas Boomers---Stop by for a Margie some time!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> satellite box
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS