RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Well what year cummins???

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Well what year cummins???

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
rob85546

Hot arizona

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 08:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok since I have to look for new truck and still deciding and waiting for insurance money from durmax that some clown wrecked for me. Sure it wont be enough to replace my mint 07 with 36k miles.

Anyways the megacab is possible choiceBUT so many changes .. The trannys in dodge scare me. So what year did they finally get the good trannys? Also I see the 5.9 & 6.7 debate. Looks like probably look at 07 08 years. Anything else to know???

Ford would b v10 but thats it just cant trust their diesels except new one and not spending that much... Would consider Another dmax if one came along just though I would try something different.

Thanks

jmtandem

western nevada

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 09:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Anyways the megacab is possible choiceBUT so many changes .. The trannys in dodge scare me. So what year did they finally get the good trannys? Also I see the 5.9 & 6.7 debate. Looks like probably look at 07 08 years. Anything else to know???

Can't speak to the Ford or Chevy but I have had three Dodge/Cummins. The engines are basically bullet proof. Some years prior to what you are looking at there were some lift pump issues. With the fuel pumps in the tank that issue has largely gone away. As to trannys, you might want to go test drive the new ones. Impressive is the word. I bought an '05 new with an auto tranny and have had exactly zero repair issues and am now at 93,000 miles. If you look at the megacabs take a peek at the GVWR and the rear axle capacities depending on whether you are interested in a single rear wheel or dually 3500 model. As to the engine, it pulls like a locomotive.

'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.
'09 299bhs Tango.

troll3193

SouthWest, MI USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 09:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had two with a 48re auto and they have been great. Current truck has 95000 miles on it.

I think the 47re had a bad reputation, but seems to be mostly with folks doing mods and increasing power..

I would have no hesitation in buying another dodge auto...

bryan

2006 RAM 3500 MegaCab w/Cummins Turbo Diesel
Mopar Exhaust Brake
2004 Dutchemen 31BK

coolbreeze01

Redding, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 09:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would buy an 04 to 06, low miles, completly stock, cream puff. Hope you find what you want

2008 Dodge 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

SidKaye

Mt Dora Florida, Montreal QC for the Summer

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 09:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dodge Ram 2003 1/2, Mid Year 48RE Transmission...bulletproof. Currently 140,000 trouble free miles. About half towing 15,000 lbs everywhere.
Had '96 Ram with 47RE. Towed 11,000 lbs. Had 170,000 trouble free miles on it when sold.
I have and use gauges to monitor what engine and tranny are doing, and believe a lot of tranny problems are due to "operator malfunction"

Sidney

2003 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT,48RE, 4:10,Cummins HO Diesel,Quad Cab,LWB,SRW,PacBrake,Prodigy, X-Monitor Gauges,Line-X,Bedsaver

2002 Excel,Ltd,30RGW,Hughes Autoformer,Honda Eu1000i, ClearSpot 4G+,

http://www.kayepics.com

southernsky

Ponchatoula La.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 09:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an '07 mega cab dually with the 5.9 CTD/48RE and 99000 mls on it. No problems so far.

2011 Ram 3500 DRW Mega Cab 6.7 CTD 4X4
2012 Primetime Crusader 320RLT
PullRite SuperGlide,5th Airborne

Dave Wilburn

Ogden UT

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 09:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 6.7 started on the 07.5 models. Those first ones had problems with the turbo plugging up and the DPF regen, but that was pretty much cleared up with reporgramming.
The key thing with a Cummins, is that they are medium duty engines, dropped into light duty trucks (I don't care what it says on the tailgate, pickups are light duty) and these engines are desigend to WORK. People that use them as daily drivers are the ones that have problems with them because 1) the engine never gets broken in properly, and 2) the turbo and DPF doesn't get hot enough to stay clean. The truck then has to go into forced regen to clean the DPF and that burns more fuel and lowers mileage. 3) These 3rd and 4th gen Cummins trucks are designed to operate at higher EGTs. The higher cylinder temps also help keep the injectors clean.
It amazes me that people buy a new Cummins and baby it around all the time, then wonder why it only gets 12 MPG unloaded.
Guys that buy a new Cummins and hook something heavy to it and hit the road have far fewer problems.

The 5.9s don't have all the emission stuff on them and tolerate daily driving much better, but they still wanted to be broken in by pulling something heavy.

04.5 Ram 3500, '12 Voltage 3905 Epic, 69 baja bug

B-n-L'SNEST

Albuquerque

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 09:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry to hear about your truck, and I know your concerns about the cummins. The way I understand is the 07's and 08's had alot of problems. They would stop running, and the fixes that Dodge had didn't really work. In 07 you had a choice of the 5.9 or the 6.7 if the truck was made in 06. If it was made in 07 you could only buy the 6.7.

Personally I have the 07 Dodge with the 5.9. It's a DRW with the 48RE tranny, and 4:10 gears. I've had the truck for 3 years and pull a 14000lb fiver and have not had any trouble with the tranny. We've put around 30,000 miles on it since we've bought it. It only had 18,000 on it when we bought it. I hope that this will help you some.

boogie_4wheel

SLC, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 09:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The '98.5-02 models had the lift pump on the engine block problem. If it failed the injector pump would die in short time if not caught.

'03-04 Lower output common rail. Good fuel economy. Had external LP on engine that was prone to failure but the CP3 injection pump will pull fuel and not get hurt. Dodge replacement LP is in-tank design. 47RE auto trans.

'04.5-05 Higher output power (325/610) and 48RE auto trans. Tow/Haul feature but no ability to lock out overdrive. LP located in tank.

'06 48RE has tow/haul and gains ability to lock out overdrive. Auto trans approved for exhaust brake use. Electrical converted to some stupid TIPM thing (I can't remember what its called). I have heard horror stories about tail lights/turn signals/trailer plug freak-outs due to this thing going belly up.

'07 Last year of 5.9L. Factory exhaust brake.

'07.5 6.7L and all the other changes...

The 48RE is a good trans. It has minimal issues. Some experience shuttle-shift from 1-2; caused by goofed up pressure governor solenoids or pressure transducer. Easy to replace. They also require band adjustments as normal maintenance/

2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer, ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges in cubby hole, GDP 20/2 filters on frame rail, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

ib516

Up here!

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 09:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will give you an honest evaluation of the truck I have.

I have an 07 Megacab (in sig) with the 48RE tranny, ~89,000 miles.

Only problems so far have been broken wires in the driver's side rear door, and now the power steering pump is acting up a bit. A flush seems to have cured that through.

I have also changed the brakes and some front end parts (ball joints and outer u-joints in the knuckles). My truck is a former oilfield truck though, driven on back country roads, so that kind of explains the ball joints needing to be replaced. I had the tranny TSB done (warranty) for the 1-2 shuttle shift where it would hunt between 1st and second at low speeds with light throttle (parking lot situation for example) LINK. I got my truck when it had about 35,000 miles on it.

Very happy so far with the reliability, mpg, and power. I have driven two different D/A combos pulling RVs (05 LLY and an 04 LB7), and the Allison is a lot nicer to use than the 48RE. It just seems "smarter" if that makes any sense. The GM trucks also ride quite a bit smoother than my 07 RAM. The Cummins does have the ability to accelerate a load from say 55 mph to 65 mph with less pedal input and without downshifting as compared to the two Dmax trucks I drove.

To me, comparing an 06/07 5.9L Cummins and an 06/early 07 Duramax is a Coke/Pepsi thing. Each has their fans, pros and cons, and both are equally good. They just have different personalities.

Just an FYI boogie4wheel, the 5.9L never came factory with an exhaust brake, even in 07. The RAMBrake was a dealer installed option and the Cummins ECM is prewired for it.

2010 Cougar 322QBS 5er
Prev:
01 Dodge 2500 360 gas, 4.10
02 Dodge 2500 5.9L Cummins, 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 SRW Mega 5.9L Cummins, 3.73
Current:
2014 RAM 2500, 6.4L Hemi, 4.10, auto

10000# GVWR, 5500# FGAWR, 6500# RGAWR, 3040# payload, 15470# tow rating, 22500# GCWR

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Well what year cummins???
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS