|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> spare tire in diesel pusher

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 11:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some DPs have little ground clearance and are of monocoque chassis construction. Just no room and no frame under there for a spare tire. And if a tire on the rear dual blows, you have to match up a new tire by circumference. You just don't mount mismatch tires together, so you would need to carry to mated spares.

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

J-Rooster

Port Orchard, Wa. / Lake Havasu City, Az.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 11:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ken, if you mount the tire under the frame make sure that the tire casing is covered (example shrink wrap it) you don't want all that road dirt etc. getting inside your tire. I used to carry a tire don't anymore! I'll just have to pull over fix lunch and play scrabble on the I-Pad with the DW until help arrives.

peaches&cream

Northwest Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 05:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I carry a "mounted spare" in my pass through compartment. I have it turned upside down and the inside is covered with, air hose, water hose, and any thing else that will fit in it. But, guess what, I can pull the side out in the compartment, remove all the items inside the wheel, and have it ready to install by the service repairman. I also carry a 12 ton jack, impact socket to fit my lugs, 2 ft. 3/4 inch breaker bar, and a 4 ft. cheater bar. If he arrives there is no way he will leave without me driveable. If he fails to arrive, I will probably change it myself and be on my way. Doubt you will read any posts from me about being stranded on the road by a flat tire.

peaches&cream

Northwest Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 05:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wny_pat wrote:

mccsix wrote:

Peaches could you give me your number in case I break down...you're better equipped than most service trucks.
X-2, as long as he knows how to use those tools, and I'll leave him alone while he is taking care of things.

BR549

After 24 yrs. in the Service Station business 1960-1984, I have probably changed more truck tires than anyone on this forum.

* This post was edited 03/09/12 06:06pm by peaches&cream *

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 05:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mccsix wrote:

Peaches could you give me your number in case I break down...you're better equipped than most service trucks.
X-2, as long as he knows how to use those tools, and I'll leave him alone while he is taking care of things.

mccsix

Pensacola Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 05:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

moisheh

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 06:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your Phaeton is on a Freightliner chassis there is room for an under mounted carrier. I had one on our 02 Bounder. I think the plans are on the Freightliner Chassis Club website. Not well designed but if you look at the pictures you could improve it easily.

Moisheh

robatthelake

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/12 02:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Spare is unmounted and in the basement. I hope that I never need it! Inside it are several other items that hopefully won't be required as well. Winter Snow Chains, a Short shovel as well as other Emergency items that likely won't be needed. I also have the necessary Sockets and Breaker Bar.There isn't room to build a shelf over it so I just slide the 9X18 Mat on top along with a folding chair! Not a big deal to carry in My opinion.

Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

David0725

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 10:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I want to a truck junk yard and picked up a wheel for $50 then I got the same toyo tire as a spare for $350! that way if I have a flat they can get me going fast.and all the tires are still the same And balanced. that way I not have to pay $500 or $600 for a tire and it not be the same. And I had a flat on a sunday once they told me they couldn't get a tire intil monday!! I say that cuz some people dont even have a spar tire.

1994 Holiday Rambler Imperial DP
1999 Honda Accord V6 Toad

sc3283

St Louis

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 09:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just don't understand why the big too doo over someone carrying a spare or not carrying a spare...obviously many RV owners were not boy scouts and know their motto "be prepared". If you choose to carry or not choose to carry...it is your right...
Some folks have the ability to change a flat, some don't...why is this always such a big controversy???? I don't get it!

Mine is in the basement along with everything needed to change it. Of which the time required by me to change it will most likely be FAR less than an assistance company can even get someone dispatched to my area

04 D-Max Crew Dually

96 Monaco Dynasty 36'

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> spare tire in diesel pusher
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: