|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Concerned about someone driving off with my trailer

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
CakeHenn

Temple, TX

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 11:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It would have to be a pretty sophisticated criminal to steel a TT and be able to see it. Honestly easier to steal cars and probably easier to scrap for parts. I just don't think it's likely and if it happens isnt this why we insure them?

TT: 2013 Jayco Eagle 314
Truck: 2006 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Duck Gun: Benelli Super Black Eagle II

snowdance

State of Jefferson

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 12:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have a ball hitch.. Pick up a cheap ball.. Cut the shaft off and stick it in the hitch. Then close the latch and put a lock on it. Makes them work a bit more to get it.

Snowdance

We spent most of our money traveling... Just wasted the rest..

Chevy 7.4 Vortex
2000 Jamboree 23b Rear Kitchen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowdance38

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 01:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Although anything is possible, the odds of someone driving off with your camper is minimal. You can protect yourself 2 ways. Insurance and a tongue lock.(and you can also feed a cable through the wheels for extra measure). If you have dogs inside your camper, I doubt if anyone will ever bother your camper, especially if they bark when things disturb their day.

DutchmenSport

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Dually Duramax 6.6 HD diesel
2013 Keystone Outback 298RE Travel Trailer
Equal-i-zer WD hitch system

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 01:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At least your trailer has a lockable door on it. My POPUP does have a door lock but you can reach inside the velcro flap around the trailer door and unlock the door. I use that alot when carring thing in instead putting things down and get my keys out of my pocket. It is probably faster reaching inside and unlocking the door haha..

They also make a RV trailer wheel lock...

Somthing like this but I have seen various different things that will keep your trailer from rolling. Just search on Google for "RV WHEEL LOCKS"

I do the dummy ball locked up inside the tongue hitch too. They could still chain it to their vehicle but like someone said on here already they would have to work at...

A sign on the door that says "Dont disturb my Doberman" might help too haha...

Neighborhood watch is really the best thing. Someone will most likely be around to keep a watch out for you. I know i always keep a watch out for the trailers around us when camping. You sort of know who belongs and who doesnt. I will challange anyone in a heart beat if they look out of place.

Back in the old days we run a log chain through both rear wheels of our OFF ROAD 4X4's but these days everyone have bolt cutters I would imagine...

The only thief related I have ever seen first hand was we had left our camp site for a couple of hours picking up some groceries and when we came back we couldnt get up or camping loop because of a downed tree was blocking the road. This was at Elkmont in the Smoky Natl Park back in the 90s. Turns out the camper just across the loop road from us had his 3KW Honda Generator chained to a tree and had also left the area to get supplies. He came back just about the same time we did. There we both are standing there looking at the cut down tree stump with his 3KW Honda Generator missing. After I saw that happen my 2KW Honda generator stays secured in the back of my truck bed out of sight except when I am using it...

* This post was edited 03/09/12 01:35pm by RoyB *

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - PM me
Roy and Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS HOME SETUP ONLY
POPUP PHOTOs-Pg52

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 01:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would imagine that the cost of the gas the thief's truck would use stealing the rig would be more than they would get out of stripping it down and selling everything in it. If they can hook up and drive away without being seen, it is much easier to just break the $.50 door lock with a prybar and take only the valuables, leaving the dirty dishes, used furniture and smelly tennis shoes behind. Stay in a decent park and you will have nothing to worry about.

2oldman

Coachella

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 02:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgolding wrote:

Campers, are a concerned contentious group...
Most of the contentious ones are on here!

montanacamping

Montana

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 02:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would use a hitch lock, one that some one would have to cut out with a grinder or cut-off wheels. Padlocks are a joke, unless it is one of the round ones with only an inch of shank showing. I would not bother with the chain and lock in the wheels because that only takes a second to cut with a pair of bolt cutters and silent. With a hitch lock they would have to get some thing that will get a lot of atention to cut it out.

2009 Jayflight G2
2005 Z71 Burb
2002 GMC 8.1 crewcab

anaro

Mebane, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 03:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just use a lock on mine. I would be more concerned about the dogs, especially in hot weather. What if your breaker trips and the AC shuts off? You are gone for 4 hours, it can get hot in there. You might want to look into a alarm system that alerts you in these kind of cases. Do a search on the pets forum section and you will find lots of results for an alarm system that will send a mesage to your phone.

2014 Silverado 3500 Duramax, SRW, Crew Cab, 4WD
2014 Palomino Sabre 34REQS - 5 nights camped
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BL - sold after 3 1/2 yrs and 76 nights camped in it!

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 06:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

daveyboy12 wrote:

I plan on traveling with my 30 foot travel trailer and my two dogs. Actually it is more work then leisure, but I plan on finding a longer term RV park, getting setup - then leaving the dogs in the trailer during my day at work. I would come back at lunch, but they would be cooped up for 4 hrs at a time which I don't see a problem with, they are older well behaved dogs.
Should I be at all concerned about someone coming and driving off with my trailer? I know I can lock the hitch with a long thin padlock. I was also thinking about putting a chain between the spokes of the two wheels.

Maybe I am thinking too much. Should this be a concern? I don't want to return to the RV park and find my trailer and dogs are gone.

probably a pretty remote chance, however, using a lock through the the hitch pin is NOT a good protection method. The reason is that the hitch is probably a 2 5/8" hitch, and someone can drive up with a 2" or 1 7/8" ball, drop the trailer coupler onto the ball with the latch locked and drive off far enough to cut the lock. To lock a trailer, you really need one of the locks that covers the bottom of the coupler where the ball goes. Either a plate or one that has a ball that fits into the coupler and then locks.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison

CincyGus

Cincinnati

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 06:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use these:

The Fast step chock has a place to slide a padlock through to make them almost unremovable. Almost being the key word.

2011 Silverado Crewcab 4x4
2012 Passport 238ML

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Concerned about someone driving off with my trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS