|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> rv service centers

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
lj2654

weeki wachee, florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 12:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a question for you ?
I made an appointment to take my 2001 Beaver Contessa to the shop for service and went there at 7 am March 6th. The service advisor asked if I was going to leave it as they were packed with Rv's to be worked on. Due to the races at Daytona, snowbirds getting repairs done before returning North, and just routine maintenance the place was indeed overloaded. Fortunately I had towed my auto so had a way home(65 miles)so I left my coach there. I had't heard back so I called Friday am, informed me that they hadn't looked at it yet, possibly by Monday the 12th. I have a trip scheduled for 17th-22nd of March for Spring break....why do service centers make appointments and then the rv sits there for a week or two before they even get to it? I guess I don't get it....Please explain how this works...?

2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

tvman44

Southwest Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 12:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let me know if you figure it out.

Papa Bob
1* DW "Granny"
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

pulsar

Lewisville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 12:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from Forum Technical Support.

Normk

Canada's Wet Coast

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 01:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hope this doesn't sound like a rant as it is not ment in that manner:

Generally, despite the general disrespect for what others do, people are competent and doing the best they can to look after customers. It can be frantically difficult to schedule servicing because one cannot predict the scope of many jobs. Since a technician can do, at most 8 hours of work per day and this is eroded by non-predictables such as consultion with customers, parts backlogs, throw in an additional problem which requires unforseen additional time and everything is thrown off.

Add to that the optimistic self diagnosis which is difficult to by-pass and things are thrown off further. Few service operations like to say, "No, we can't fit your rig into our schedule." for all the obvious reasons, none of which are likely to be negative.

I've supervised and managed in service departments and know of which I speak. We also found most customers to be decent people to deal with however the 95-5 rule prevails there also. 90% or one's time and effort are required to deal with the 5% problem people even one of those can throw the shop's schedule completely out of wack.

People tend to be optimistic in terms of booking which sometimes drives things badly into overload. I'll bet the service people will be at least as unhappy that you are not being served in a timely manner....maybe more, as hard as it may be to accept. If they turn you away they may lose a customer but are likely even more affected by letting you down by saying, "No."

If this is a peak period or unusually heavy time, as you suggest, they may have sufficient capacity for their ordinary business level but economics or staffing constraints may not allow them to accomodate the unusual levels. Been there too and it's uncomfortable to tell nice people that you won't help.

It's a difficult world....

BroncosFan

USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 01:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You could share at rvservicereviews dot com or read if it's common there.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 02:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IF I had an app .and they blew me off like this I,d raise the roof and leave.a few hrs I could deal with not days. I respect others time, as they should mine. at my doctors office they know I,ll wait 30min after my app time. after the first time they made me wait . I nicly brought it to the doctors att. not one time since have I had to wait for than a few min.

Chris Bryant

DeLand, Florida, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 02:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not making excuses for the service center in question, but it's tough to schedule very far out for rv repairs- a single item for repair can easily take 30 minutes or 4 hours (or more), and you really don't know until you see it. Our place is just me and my DW, and we don't even give appointments farther out than a couple of days, with roughly a two week wait, which is also a pain to deal with from a customers p.o.v.

(And I should add that this is the very height of our season in the Daytona area- now we have ~500,000 bikers here)

-- Chris Bryant
My RV Service Blog
The RV.net Blog

mark1228

USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 07:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Several posters have very excellent insight and I would add one more thing. Most RV shops try to help the folks that are on the road right away to keep them on the road and you simply never know when they are going to pop in. When they do, if you can bump another customer out that is not in immediate need of his RV, you do it to help the traveler. Sometimes this throws appointments and schedules way off. I can assure you of one other thing- yelling and screaming will do you no good in my shop. Talking like an adult, even when frustrated gets you lots further with us.

gotsmart

Aberdeen, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/12 12:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lj2654 wrote:

I have a question for you ?
...why do service centers make appointments and then the rv sits there for a week or two before they even get to it? Please explain how this works...?

Because they are preying on human nature. Once someone drops off a vehicle to be serviced, they will be less inclined to cancel the appointment and take the vehicle somewhere else to be serviced.

Their goals are (for the service writers and their bosses):
1) to have you use their shop to work on it.
2) to deny another shop from getting your business
3) to say whatever is necesary to insure goals 1) and 2) are met.

If you go to the service center in the morning and tell them that you made an appointment for that afternoon to have the coach serviced at another RV shop and that you want the coach back they will "appear" to get nervous - although they're not - and may tell you that they can rearrange the schedule and fit you in tomorrow morning (even if they can't). If you acquiesce, well.... they won.

They are looking out for #1 (themselves). They see having a backlog of work as a good problem to have. They see you driving off to get your rig serviced somewhere else as lost revenue - and some shops will lie to your face, just to prevent that.

Having said all that, not all shops are the vultures that I described.

One card that you can play is to make a service appt and tell them that you're a full-timer who lives in their rig and you'll be staying in the rig (each night) until the work is finished. Many shops would rather not have you hang around (looking over their shoulder, asking questions) and will expediate your service in an effort to get you back on the road - and out of their hair.

2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

MaverickBBD

Formerly of Bellingham, Wahington, U.S.A.

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 06:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ask them if they know about rvservicereviews.com and do a review of them there so that other may be aware.

Tom, Cheryl & Blossom(coonhound mix)
'05 Winnebago Journey 36G w/Cat. C-7 350 hp Freightliner XC
AFE air filter, aero turbine muffler, 4 FSD Konis, ultra track bell crank and Safe-T-Plus
FMCA 397030
WIT 129107

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> rv service centers
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: