|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> RV handling with toad attached

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
bobfinch

Ma

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 08:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't notice any sway from the toad, really don't notice it's there until I drive without it, man can you make good time without a toad! We towed a Honda Odyssey 4 down which is a pretty heavy toad, we traded for a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd. and plan on towing it 4 down as well. For what it's worth my wife has never commented on our DP swaying. The thing I like the best about having the toad on is it give you another view via backup camera of how centered in the lane you are, one more degree of safety, at the end of the day that's all that matters?

YC 1

Yuba City Calif.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/12 01:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dennis and several others have said yes listen to your wife and I have to agree. Towing a narrow wheel base vehicle with agressive off road tires and very heavy I can tell you my steering is effected a bit. If you hit ruts in the road it can definitely pull you. I just set my new 2012 Ford Edge up for towing and it is much lighter. I can still tell it does change my steering very subtly. However my RV is very long for a single axel and extremely heavy. I do plan to have the sway bars installed this Summer.

H/R Endeavor 2008
2013 Ford Edge toad
Full Timers

Daveinet

il

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 02:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fredbon wrote:

She is, you have tail wag. Install a rear trac bar.

fred
That is exactly why I built and installed a track bar. My GC tended to push the vehicle in the corners. Trac bar cured it. I would bet money that you already have a problem without the toad, but the toad aggravates it to a point where it is much more noticeable.

Dave

The Flying Fortress
FMCA F298817
'83 Revcon Prince 31' FWD
502 w/Howell/GM 16197427 ECM/Edelbrock MPFI,Thorley's & Magnaflows,
4L85E 4 speed, KoniFSD,
6% grade = wanna drag?
MISC photos
Revconeers Forum

The Beave

Georgetown TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 03:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With our 33' Beaver Monterey it seems slightly more stable in gusting wind with the toad. Otherwise no difference.

The Beave
30' 1997 Beaver Monterey
(The shortest DP we could find)
2005 Honda CR-V
Remco surge brake

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 03:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gswcgi wrote:

With all due respect to your Wife, She's WRONG!!!I have towed two cars behind two different Motor Homes since 1985 and put on over 75,000 miles towing vehicles which each weighed 4,000+++ lbs.Never know they were behind me, even in heavy stops and hard downhill grades. I now tow a 2000 Nissan XTerra behind a 36' DP and never any tail wag! Get the right auxiliary brake system for your toad and a good tow bar and hitch and go for it!! Nothing like having a toad with you when you get where your going.
Your DP does not handle like his Workhouse or GM frame chassis! Your comparing apples to oranges!

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

John S.

Valley of Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 05:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have towed my wrangler behind different motorhomes. THe Foretravels do not have any affect either way. In fact, I do not know it is behind me but I do feel a bit less acceleration. This is over 300K miles pulling the wrangler. SO the answer is there is no effect. Now if I tow it behind my Born Free I feel it and it does wag the coach a bit. So, the answer is really weight and length and axles. In a short gas unit, I am sure you might feel it.

John
2001 42' Foretravel U320
2007 Bornfree 24 Painted
2001 Jeep Wrangler for 300k miles
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Susie and Dolly (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels) now in our hearts and thoughts
Doodle a Black and Tan Cavalier
Lolly a Ruby Cavalier

MPond

Thousand Oaks, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/12 05:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wny_pat wrote:

Your DP does not handle like his Workhouse or GM frame chassis! Your comparing apples to oranges!

Yeah, I think wny_pat is right here. Having the weight of the DP at the rear has to have a positive effect on the toad's handling.

In general, DP's usually have shorter cantilever from the rear axle to the hitch, meaning the toad has less leverage on the RV. And the added weight right over the rear axle also helps to keep the DP planted, reducing the toad's ability to push the RV around.

My modified Jeep Wrangler LJ is heavy, lifted, and has large offroad tires, and yet it never has any effect on my DP, even in heavy crosswinds.

Years ago when we had a couple different gas coaches, I always felt that the long cantilver was a detriment when towing. I wish I'd known then about adding a track bar.

michahicks wrote:

While going straight, I would agree it's going to follow directly behind the MH. BUT, if there is much slop in the tow bar linkages or where the tow bar/ball mount slides into the receiver, I can assure you that car is moving around in back of you. Centrifugal force is going to try to turn the toad to the outside of every curve, where it bangs against the end of the slop, and you'll think you've over steered as the back end of the coach is pushed very slightly to the outside of the corner (pointing the nose inside).

If you're in a 30,000+lb DP, you're going to notice that much less than somebody driving a 15,000-20,000 lb gasser.

That's why it's important to check that tow bar out thoroughly on occasion, have it rebuilt/refurbed to keep slop (ovaled out holes/worn pins) at a minimum?

I also think michahicks has an excellent point here about slop in the receiver or tow bar setup.

2003 Country Coach Intrigue, Cummins ISL 400
Toad: 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) toad, with just a few mods...

Other rig: 2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually / Next Level 38CK Fifth-wheel Toy Hauler w/ quads, sand rail, etc...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> RV handling with toad attached
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS