|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
johnhoag

Seneca, SC

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 02:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Class A 2000 Mountainhigh Residency and must replace the 6 rear tires (245/70R19.5). A local dealer recommended Sumitomo as a good, moderately-priced tire but I haven't found any reviews. Can anyone weigh in?

janechucknicodemus

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 03:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

johnhoag wrote:

I have a Class A 2000 Mountainhigh Residency and must replace the 6 rear tires (245/70R19.5). A local dealer recommended Sumitomo as a good, moderately-priced tire but I haven't found any reviews. Can anyone weigh in?

Sounds like he is selling sumos'. Go get some Michelin's they may cost more but the ride is outstanding and wear just as well or better..
My 2p.
C

George Beggs

Homosassa, FL.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 03:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put Firestone 250F on the front and Hankook AH11 on the rear. The Hankooks have a more aggressive tread than steer tires. They are also stiffer. My mileage and handling improved after I got them.

George & Linda
2007 Bounder 35E
Ford V10

bluwtr49

Green Valley, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 03:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Part of the problem with Sumitomo is, like Hankook, there aren't any negative reviews and those are the ones that get the attention. Spend the money on Michelin if you wish but that doesn't mean your gettin a better tire.....only a more expensive one.

Dick

2002 43" DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

The Texan

Cascade, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 03:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bluwtr49 wrote:

Part of the problem with Sumitomo is, like Hankook, there aren't any negative reviews and those are the ones that get the attention. Spend the money on Michelin if you wish but that doesn't mean your getting a better tire.....only a more expensive one.

X-2, 3 and more
Sumitomo is a very good tire for your RV and a whole lot cheaper than any Michelin made. Michelin is not any better, just a heck of a lot more expensive. In fact the Michelin XRV tire has a very bad reputation.

Bob & Betsy(FishNFanatic) - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins-Pulling our '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/ the Rzr or ACE or a Quad riding in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

pkunk

Questa, NM

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 04:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ask your dealer if he can provide Hankook AH11. If not, go with the Sumitomo. Either should be in the $300 ea range.

1999 Coachman Mirada 34 ft.V10-F53 chassis
12ft.LR slide-2 gp31 AGM 12V @220AH

J-Rooster

Port Orchard, Wa. / Lake Havasu City, Az.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 05:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bluwtr49 wrote:

Part of the problem with Sumitomo is, like Hankook, there aren't any negative reviews and those are the ones that get the attention. Spend the money on Michelin if you wish but that doesn't mean your gettin a better tire.....only a more expensive one.
No offense but I disagree! The real road difference between Michelin tires and Sumitomo tires is the rubber used in the tire and how it's built! Michelin tires are more pliable (soft rubber tire) better traction, steering and stopping. Sumitomo tires are very hard rubber tire that that DO NOT offer the handling qualities of any soft rubber tire. The downfall of soft rubber tires is they wear out faster than a hard rubber tire. By the way John, welcome to RV.Net, and you ask a good question about tires that requires several personal answers: #1. Are you price sensitive when it comes to tires and, #2. Do you want to sacrafice better traction for longevity? Google hard and soft rubber tires and there is lots of info for you. I'm going to forego the tire bashing! I just wanted you to know about the real differences besides price.

The Texan

Cascade, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 06:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No tire bashing, just Google Michelin XRV tires and read about the failures to your hearts contents. After I had 3 XRVs blow out within 18 months on my last DP, I would never put a Michelin tire on my RV. Even as much as I dislike Goodyear RV tires, I NEVER had one blowout with them.

Weathertodd221

FL

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 06:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Texan wrote:

No tire bashing, just Google Michelin XRV tires and read about the failures to your hearts contents. After I had 3 XRVs blow out within 18 months on my last DP, I would never put a Michelin tire on my RV. Even as much as I dislike Goodyear RV tires, I NEVER had one blowout with them.

I have a hard time believing a tire just blew out... let alone 3. There is a cause for all tire failures. Facts would qualify your post much better.

LVJ58

Las Vegas, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 09:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This may be of interest to some:

http://forums.woodalls.com/index.cfm/fus........ad/tid/5325217/srt/pd/pging/1/page/4.cfm

Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: