|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> How to reach tire valves

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Replant

Someplace

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 10:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ret-miner wrote:

Extenders,solves the problem,good luck

Only if they are "air-less" extenders which do not leak if they become loose because no air enters the extender until you add air or check the tire pressure.

Harvey51

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 11:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Exactly what Ponderosa said.. Wheel covers off on the duals. Extenders with no cap. Long gauge with straight end. I haven't found a compressor end that is straight yet - will check NAPA, thanks for the tip, Ponderosa.

Will probably get new tires this spring and will ask for longer stems but I am content with the ones that came with the vehicle. My tires are nowhere near maximum load and I am getting a little less careful about checking after three years. Sometimes I just whack each tire with the axe head and feel how it bounces. If I keep the 2005 tires for another season, I will increase monitoring.

2004 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada

Maddawgs

central MA

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/12 04:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nerak wrote:

This sounds pathetic, but we recently purchased a 2012 Four Winds Class C. We are getting ready to make our first "shake down" trip to make sure everything is working properly. DH wants to check the tire pressure. We bought a long double sided air pressure gauge so we can reach all the wheels, but the way the wheels are made, we cannot even get our fingers in there to unscrew the caps! Anybody got any suggestions? I cannot believe they even make something like this that you cannot even get to to check your tire pressure!

Hi Nerak,
I just had the Borg chrome valve stems (Do a search for "Borg tire valves" on this site) installed on Friday by Pete's Tire Barn. I got them at sixrobbles for about 112 shipped and Pete's charged 56 to install. The are all steel (mine are chromed) replacements and not extensions. They extend out far enough so it is very easy to check and add air if needed and I can keep my chrome wheel simulators (hub caps) on. The steel replacement is also a better choice if you plan to add a tire pressure system later. Extensions and braided cable systems will eventually leak and need to be replaced. Hope this helps you out.
Todd

* This post was last edited 03/11/12 05:32am by Maddawgs *   View edit history

Todd, Shirley, and the "Maddawgs" min-pins Precious and Buster Brown
2011 Itasca Cambria 30C
2011 Demco KarKaddy 460SS
TST 507 RV TPMS
"if there is anything left when we are gone, then we miscalculated"

bobsinn

Key Largo, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/11/12 05:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I bought my RV used on 04 it had metal extenders installed. Twice in the first year I had tires go flat. From advice I found here I had Tireman valves installed and I love them. Its rare I have to add air. It takes about 2 minutes to check all 6 tires. Its the best $200 I have spent on the RV.

2001 Itasca Sundancer 27P
2000 Honda Civic

Sooboy

Toronto, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/12 05:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ADAD437 wrote:

I had nothing but trouble with the extenders, I bought the dually valves and had them installed at a local truck tire shop and love them. They are long enough to reach and no leaks.

I had the same situation with our last RV. Could not get the extenders to stop leaking...finally replaced them the Dually Valves and never had issues again. I'd highly recommend them!

2012 Jayco Embark TB390
2009 Honda CRV TOAD with Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar
FMCA #F413428

Bordercollie

Garden Grove, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/12 05:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's important to use and understand the proper terms. Solid metal, custom-formed, valve stems for inner and outer duals and front tires such as Tire Man do not leak and make checking of air pressure, of all six tires, a 5 minute job without gymnastics or cussing. Extenders are something that screws onto the original rubber valve stem. Metal extenders cause original rubber valve stems to flex and develop cracks and leaks, extenders are also prone to unscrew and leak. Tires that lose pressure run hot and side walls develop cracks, leading to tread separation and blowouts and likely loss of control. Steel tire belts can thrash plastic holding tanks, wiring, and propane lines. Saving a few bucks is not worth tire failure on the road disrupting your trip or endangering your life or other motorists.

RV chassis and housebox installers must have some kind of agreement on this subject perhaps involving convoluted liability concerns. Otherwise, an RV company would install solid metal custom formed valve stems and boast about it or offer them as a recommended option.

Mutinyguy

Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/21/12 06:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tried extenders and threw them in the garbage. I put TireMan metal valves on all 6 tires of my 2010 Winnebago View...I can check all 6 tires in under 60 seconds...take a look at this short video I made...doesn't get any easier than this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Mk4xYDxyuc

Jim

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> How to reach tire valves
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: