|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> tt/5th wheel

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
bp/mp/tx

TX

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 06:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HELP!! We have looked & studied but still don't know if we should get a trailer or 5th wheel. We want something we can take almost anywhere & live in for extended periods of time. We have a 2012 2500 Dodge crew cab, 5.7 gas. We know what our weight limits are & know we can get either RV in a floor plan that will suit us. Please give feedback on pros & cons. Thanks!

Bill & Mary
RAM 3500
2012 Jayco Eagle 330RLTS

anaro

Mebane, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 07:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having only owned a TT but looked at 5er's and knowing people w/ them, here are some things to consider. A TT with a good WDH and sway control set up and well matched to the TV will tow well. A 5er is said to be more stable but I have not towed one to really know. 5er's tend to be heavier than TT's. You can have a 30ft TT and a 30ft 5er, the 30ft 5er will be a shorter overall rig length because it combines w/ truck length. A 5er has more of an apartment feel to it but that is getting negated by many of the newer TT designs that have come up in style/floorplan. 5er's are said to have more storage (ie the big basement storage area). In the end everything being equal, go with the one that has the floorplan and storage that works the best for you. Just remember to pay attention to payload and tongue or pin weights in addition to the overall tow capacity. Also don't go by the UVW and you should be good with whatever you decide works for you. Happy hunting.

2014 Silverado 3500 Duramax, SRW, Crew Cab, 4WD
2014 Palomino Sabre 34REQS
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BL - sold after 3 1/2 yrs and 76 nights camped in it!

phillyg

Front Royal, VA

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 07:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've towed both and the FW is definitely more stable. But, it all comes down to what you like when you start looking. To me, the FW is more like a home, and a TT is more like, well, camping. I'm thinking I'm being a bit snobbish, however I do see a TT as more suited to families with smaller kids and the FWs are more suited to older folks (I'm one). However, I've seen more FW floor plans recently that have very nice kids' quarters. I've also looked inside some TTs that are very nice, indeed.

2002 Keystone Cougar 286, 8,400lbs loaded, pulled with a 2004 F150 Supercrew, 5.4, 3.73 gears. Retired and enjoying life

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 07:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Either model would work well for what you want. You can buy a bigger TT that your truck will handle than you can a 5th wheel due to PIN weight. Pin weight will overload your truck long before you reach maximum trailer weight with a 5th wheel. Good luck / Skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

kbroadnax

San Antonio

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 07:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2 Also I prefer to have extra horsepower and torque when things get scary. In my opinion do not get a trailer that is at the max of your truck's towing capacity. Leave a little wiggle room.

2004 F350 6.0L 4x4 Powerstroke King Ranch Diesel Dually (Have Hitch Will Tow)
2010 31ft Forest River Flagstaff 831FLSS
2001 20ft Starcraft Aurora 2009 Fish-n-Ski Deck Boat w/ 200hp Mercury

NC Hauler

Asheville NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/12 09:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As stated above, you could probably tow a larger TT than you could a 5er...With the 5er, your going to be limited to how much pin weight you can carry in the bed of your truck....What is the GVWR of the Dodge 2500 gasser? Just remember to ignore the "dry" or "empty" weight of the 5er and use it's GVW when trying to figure out what 5er your truck can handle. Do you have any particular 5er in mind, if so, what is it's GVW? Information on your trucks GVWR and the 5er's GVW would be most helpful to give you more information on the topic.

Jim & Kathy
2013 Dodge 3500DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin tranny/4:10/Cummins: 385HP/850TQ
06 HR Presidential Suite 37RLQ/SK3005 Satellite/Splendide XC2100/4slide/dual pane windows
2014 Jeep Compass Ltd 4X4
Boxers;Buddy& Sheba II
USAF 71-75 Nam Vet

XRing

West Chester Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/12 03:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RRinNFla wrote:

I have towed both. Here are my pros and cons of fifth wheels.
Pro: the fifth wheel is more stable when towing.
Pro: more storage in a 5w
Pro: shorter footprint when towing. This is useful when trying to find a parking spot.

Con: You lose the use of the truck bed.
Con: You have steps to deal with in the fiver.
Con: In a small fiver the bedroom ceiling is often very low. This can be a problem for really tall people.
Con: There is more flexibility in floor plans for TT's.

Hope this helps.

+1 on everything said here... And I would add (in my opinion) Pro: easier to hitch.

2004 Chev. 2500HD 4x4
crew cab 8100/Allison
2005 Jayco Eagle 305BHS

If you can read this thank a teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a Vet.
Semper Fidelis

RRinNFla

Northeast Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 09:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have towed both. Here are my pros and cons of fifth wheels.
Pro: the fifth wheel is more stable when towing.
Pro: more storage in a 5w
Pro: shorter footprint when towing. This is useful when trying to find a parking spot.

Con: You lose the use of the truck bed.
Con: You have steps to deal with in the fiver.
Con: In a small fiver the bedroom ceiling is often very low. This can be a problem for really tall people.
Con: There is more flexibility in floor plans for TT's.

Hope this helps.

Richard

2007 Keystone Cougar 291RLS
2008 Ford F250 V10 (Gas), EC, SB, 4X4

Suzanne and Brad

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 06:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've fulltimed in both and prefer the FW - more headroom for tall DH, we like the slight separation via stairs between the living & sleeping areas, and there's more storage. Just be sure whichever way you go that what you buy works for your needs.

Happy Travels!
Suzanne & Brad

dewatkins

Dallas Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 12:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have towed both and went back to a trailer mainly so that I can carry stuff in the bed of the truck and less wind resistance. I get better gas mileage towing the trailer than the 5er. I found a TT that is built like a 5er in that the bedroom is raised and it has basement storage under it but is still only 11'6" clearance with roof ACs.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> tt/5th wheel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS