|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Best lake to retire on

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 07:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are some really nice, pristine, glacier fed lakes in Montana! Kalispell, Flathead Valley, Lake Ashley, Whitefish Lake, etc. We've been up that-a-way many times. Bozeman is a Retirement Friendly area as well.

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 08:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Marshall County, KY is supposed to be the ideal area to retire to. Not sure what small lakes are around there, however.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two bikes (both Electric Schwinn's with motor assist)

n7bsn

Yes

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 10:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fordsooperdooty wrote:

There are some really nice, pristine, glacier fed lakes in Montana! Kalispell, Flathead Valley, Lake Ashley, Whitefish Lake, etc. We've been up that-a-way many times. Bozeman is a Retirement Friendly area as well.

Not that I disagree with the area (I shouldn't I'm from there)

Ten acres on Flathead? Can we say un-afford-ium? That much, actual water-front would run seven figures.

The closest lake to Bozeman is probably Ennis, not a fun lake.

One of my old friends stayed in Bozeman and became a real-estate sales type. She loves selling homes to people from California (or Texas) that say they are going to live there year around. She figures there is a 90% chance she will get to sell that home again, the next summer.

One of my Prof's called the Gallatin valley (Bozeman area) the "Worlds Largest Country Club". In spring, summer and fall it is just knock down lovely. But he said come 1 Nov the dues come due...

I've seen 3 ft of snow over night, for a total of 6 ft on the ground. I snow-shoed in that day, cause the plows were having so trouble getting out of the sheds.

I've seen days where the HIGH was -40.

Not an area I would recommend to someone that thinks the mid-west is too cold

2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

sdianel

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 08:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hot Springs Arkansas. We're here on Lake Catherine right now and it's beautiful!!
Plenty of Lakes to choose from. Water is crystal clear.
if you want to check it out, we're at a new park www.catherineslanding.rvcoutdoors.com

Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

square dancers

Santo, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/12 09:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would suggest that you look into the Table Rock Lake Area West and South of Branson. Your request didn't note how remote you are wanting your property to be.

Another choice would be in North West Arkansas on Beaver Lake East of Bentonville.

Bill-Edna
The Boys-Beau & Jacques

2008 F450 DRW 6.4 Diesel SDCC
2008 Fuzion 373 39' Toyhauler

Keep the Shiney Side Up
Dull Side Down
Don't Smoke The Tires
Stop and smell all the roses as you travel this Great Country.

MrChuckles

Dallas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/12 09:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to you all. I really liked Santee Cooper. The water is beautiful from the pictures we looked at. You can also get a lot of home for your money.

Marshall County KY area is also fantastic. It is definitely an option we'll keep in mind.

And the Arkansas lakes rock. Since it's closest, we'll probably check there first. But really, we could use any of these options as a home base and then take the coach north when things heat up and go south when they cool down like Finally Fulltiming said.

Thanks again!

2008 Monaco Knight SKQ named Mona

jwduke

Ice Cream Capital of the World (Le Mars), Ia.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/12 05:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bull Shoals or Norfork Lakes in North Central Arkansas are awfully nice! Nice winters, and very nice people too!

'04 Dodge 2500 QC 4x4 w/CTD
'03 Hitchhiker II 31RLBG

Uma & Papa

South Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 10:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just remember Santee area there are aligators around........

southernkilowatt

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 03:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MrChuckles wrote:

Thanks to you all. I really liked Santee Cooper. The water is beautiful from the pictures we looked at. You can also get a lot of home for your money.
Thanks again!

One of the nice thing about North or South Carolina is the weather. We usually have very mild winters compared to most of the country. Our big Snow is mostly less than a foot unless you get into the mountains. Our summers can get hot, but its not unbearable.
The other great thing about the Carolinas is we have mountains and beaches all in one state. Property taxes are lower than up north IMHO and well....you just cant beat the people.
Yeah I know...I have a biased opinion, but I'm proud to be from the Carolinas. And I know for a fact if you do decide to move here, you will too.

* Yes, most of the eastern parts of our lakes and rivers do have alligators as well as the swamps. I have never heard of anyone who got eaten by one though, although I'm sure some folks have lost a dog or two.*

randot

Ellensburg, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 02:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dick_B wrote:

Marshall County, KY is supposed to be the ideal area to retire to. Not sure what small lakes are around there, however.

One whole side of Marshall and Calloway Counties boarder Kentucky Lake which is an awesome, huge man-made lake in western Kentucky. The biggest city in that area is Paducah or Murray, but you are very close to Nashville, TN and for any veterans’ with access to post, Fort Campbell is right there on the other side of the lake south of Trigg County. There are four definite seasons there and of course it gets humid in the summer, but I have spent many fantastically fun hours on Ky Lake.

2012 Ford F350 Super Duty
2013 Voltage 3200 EPIC II
Two GSDs and toys

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Best lake to retire on
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts