|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Camper Insurance

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Rockiesview

Western Colo.

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 10:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Writing this for my sister: She has an older (97 Dodge) PU w/a newer camper (06 Big Foot I think) 9-9 1/2 ft cabover. She is now carrying only liability (required) Ins. on the PU and nothing on the camper. Question is will Good Sams or any similar Co. quote a decent rate on the camper only? Main concern would be a fire that would take both units out.
Looking for any info/experience that might help before contacting GS or other Co.s.

lawnspecialties

Home

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/12 06:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure about how that works for a truck camper. But of all the insurance companies we've used, Gilbert RV insurance is by far the best. Ours is underwritten through Victoria Insurance and they are great priced and super to deal with.

They're down in Orlando but you can do everything over the phone. They beat Progressive and the others hands down.

Bowling Green, KY

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 06:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from ATC

wcjeep

Tacoma, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 10:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our truck camper insurance is about $15/month. Loan company insisted on insurance.

Thanson1975

Kansas City

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 06:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think it depends on the truck's policy. I believe in case of fire they could cover it, but if you hit a branch or had something like high winds damage the camper top you would be responsible.

It's not an adventure till something goes wrong...
T. Hanson

wcraft

Severn, MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/12 09:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Liability coverage wouldn't provide replacement value for either unit damaged in a fire. Liability will only cover (up to it's limits) damage/injury to others.

I tow a trailer, and was told by my insurance (Geico) that the liability coverage on my truck carried over to my trailer as long as I was hooked to it (ie: bound as a single unit). I finance my trailer, so comprehensive was required, and that's where coverage for fires, etc... came in.

Best bet is to call a few places with your questions.

2011 Keystone Passport 3220BH GT Ltd. Edition
2012 Chevrolet Silverado LT Crew Cab 4x4 w/6.2L and Max Tow Pkg
2002 Chevrolet Suburban LT/Autoride & AirLift air springs (Traded)
Reese Strait-Line WD with dual-cam sway control
My blog - www.CampDestinations.com

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 05:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is she trying to protect? Each would have it's own coverage AFAIK.

The truck with only liability on it would only cover the other persons vehicle if it hit something. The camper with nothing on it would not be covered for anything if it was also damaged in the accident.

If the truck only has liability on it, I'd think that if the camper fell off the truck while going down the road and damaged someone else's property, the trucks liability would NOT cover the other person, and it would all be on your daughter.

I don't have a slide in camper, but my insurance agent explained to me that it would be a good idea to have 'full' coverage on my TT because, YES, the trailer is covered by the trucks coverage as long as it's physically CONNECTED to the truck... So, if the trailer side swipes someone elses property, my truck insurance will pay. But, say the trailer comes loose from the truck, it's it's own vehicle at that point.. If you don't have coverage for it at all, you lose the trailer (camper) AND have to pay for whatever proptery damage it does to others out of your pocket.. An example the ins. agent gave me was if your trailer is setup in camp and rolls away for whatever reason... Anything it hits is on YOU unless the trailer has it's own coverage.

While I still had a note on my trailer, I was REQUIRED to have at least comp insurance on the trailer so that the bank would get their money back... Now that it's mine, I still have FULL coverage on it for itself and for anyone else it might hit...

You need to check with your states specific regs and insurance policy..

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2003 Prowler Lynx 722F #5000 GVWR and weighs every bit of it! Happy Camping!

dalmationlovers

Bremerton, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/12 05:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have Geico. When we had the TT we only insured it during the camping season. The cost was almost nothing. During the winter we put it in storage on their system and when we went to use it called them and changed coverage. If she has insurance now do something like that. Shouldn't be more than a $100.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Camper Insurance
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS