RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Single 6 Volt Golf Cart Battery?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Single 6 Volt Golf Cart Battery?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
briantroy

San Diego, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 11:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a conversion van that I use once or twice a month for camping. My power needs are limited: a fan, a small radio, a couple lights and a blender for margaritas. I have been through two $100 deep cycle/marine batteries and they lasted me about 3 years each time. The aux battery is mounted under the van amd receives it's charge from an isolator connected to the alternator. I live in a condo and cannot charge the battery from an outlet at home.
I have heard that these marine/deep cycles are not "true" deep cycle batteries and that 6 volt golf cart batteries are "true" deep cycle. I think the problem I have is that after a dozen or so margaritas the lights, radio and fan stay on all night and it puts a serious drain on the battery (unless 3 years and 25 camping trips is normal?)
Because my power needs are limited and I am sure the battery will be severely drained again, I am wondering if I should (or can) switch over to a single golf cart battery. Will the inverter still work? I would go with 2 in a series, but I want to stay on a budget and I am not running anything important.
Thanks!

* This post was last edited 03/14/12 09:24pm by briantroy *   View edit history

ArchHoagland

Clovis, CA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/12 12:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A single 6 volt battery?

Is that what you are asking?

I don't think so Tim.

2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 01:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

You can not use a single 6 volt battery to power a 12 volt system. They are used in easy to carry pairs, making 12 volts by using a pair in series to make a total of 12 volts.

The alternate is a single 8D battery - 120 pounds in one not so easy to carry battery, with the same water capacity as a pair of golf cart batteries.

What might work better is a 5SP - it is a little larger than the group 27, a littler taller, longer and wider. It is also 85 pounds, and rated at about 185 amp hours. I put one in a manlift, and it lasted for several years.

If you can fit in a group 31, it will store more energy than the 27.

If you buy a 195 watt solar panel, it will recharge the battery the next day, and help prevent sulfates from building up on the plates, and this will lead to a really long battery life.

SunElec.com sells the 195 watt for $263.

Fred.

briantroy

San Diego, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 01:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, that helps! I just realized I don't have room for two 6 volts anyway. I think I have been using a group 24 and that barely fits. Because I don't use much power, but need the reliability after draining most of the power, a 12 volt golf cart battery group U1 would be a better fit. Any suggestions on a brand?

GPWayne

Lake Stevens. WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/12 01:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need 12 volts!....One 12 volt battery or Two 6 volt batteries.

(You can find 12 volt true deep cycle batterys $$$)But they don't like starting an engine too much. Thats why so called "deep cycle/marine batteries" are used.

Three years or less is about what you can expect when deep discharging a battery again and again.

I have seen a gas powered blender....For use outside only.

Also you could use a small Honda Gen.

briantroy

San Diego, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 01:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thought about the generator, but the beach campgrounds here in San Diego don't care for them! 3 years is normal for the marine/deep cycle batteries then? Maybe I didn't kill them, they were just at the end of their life then. I was hoping to get more than 3 years out of a "true" deep cycle, just wondering now if the price is worth the extra $$$.

garym114

Bluff Dale, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 04:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any battery, 6v or 12v, will have a much shorter life if allowed to discharge below 50%. Any battery will have a shorter life if allowed to stay in a discharged condition.

2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 06:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Read The 12 Volt Side of Life, it will help you understand your batteries.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 07:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is no way to get 12 volts from a single 6 volt battery (that is practical anyway). You would need a pair of them to equal 12 volts. Sounds to me like you're getting about what would be expected of a starting battery from your marine/RV batteries. They are not designed to ever be USED to be a total power source in your RV other than for loading or quick lunch stops. For dry camping you'll need more battery power and preferably better batteries.
Good luck / Skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 07:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I think the problem I have is that after a dozen or so margaritas the lights, radio and fan stay on all night and it puts a serious drain on the battery
Given this I dont' understand why you are concerned about the battery. Just replace it every 3 years.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42 Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
2004 Honda CR-V

Bob

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Single 6 Volt Golf Cart Battery?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts