RV.Net Open Roads Forum: What's high mileage for a 7.3 power stroke diesel?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> What's high mileage for a 7.3 power stroke diesel?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Chrisatthebeach

The beautiful low country of South Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/12 12:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have owned mine since 50,000 miles and it has just over 200K on it. It still looks new and everytime something needs fixing it gets fixed.
I have had to replace the transmission (factory defect), the ball joints (originals did not have grease zerks, the new one's do), and the front hubs (they just go, bad design, all makes have this issue), plus power steering hoses and a glow plug relay. Anything else normal wear items (shocks, brake pads, tires).
I would not let mine go for 11K. If I was in the market for another one I would not pass that one up.
I hope to get another 200K out of it. Since I now only use it to move the trailer or the boats, it may out-last me.

Chris & Dianne plus two boys, both of them are Eagle Scouts.
Jayco Designer 3110
F250 PSD 4x4 Crew Cab

chorbelt

Everett, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 01:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chrisatthebeach wrote:

I would not let mine go for 11K.

Yep, given the replacement cost for an equivalent truck, plus the headache's/worry if something decides to go tit's up, (dpf,urea, coolant headgasket) with a newer one, my 7.3 is likely to outlast me as well.

Hopefully, some of those seats from a King Ranch will show up at the local pic'n pull soon though......

'97 Ford F-350 CC 7.3
'05 Komfort 27' Bunkhouse
10' Alaskan NCO - Unknown vintage.

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 02:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hear lots of stories of stolen King Ranches found with their seats, interior missing...

Artemus Gordon

Redding California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/12 02:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bought mine list year with 142,0000 miles. Engine was fine it was other components I have needed to replace. Ball joints, alternator, shocks, brakes, those items just wore out. My mechanic says I should get another 250k before considering major engine work. Now I have it like I want it. Have new truck on order and kind of hate to part with it!

bmanning

Phoenix, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 06:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Artemus Gordon wrote:

Bought mine list year with 142,0000 miles. Engine was fine it was other components I have needed to replace. Ball joints, alternator, shocks, brakes, those items just wore out. My mechanic says I should get another 250k before considering major engine work. Now I have it like I want it. Have new truck on order and kind of hate to part with it!

I'll bring it by to visit after you sell it to me

BManning
baking in Phoenix
-2007 Volvo XC90 AWD V8
4.4L 311/325 V8 6sp Aisin loaded
6100lb GVW 5000lb tow
-1999 Land Cruiser
4.7L 230/320 V8 4sp A343 loaded
6860 GVW 6500lb tow
RV'less at the moment

ib516

Up here!

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 07:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NewsW wrote:

Wanna really scam it?

See if you can legally put a 7.3 in a 2003 model year F chassis.

Depending on the date of purchase, the early 2003s did not have to meet emission rules that came into effect that required the 6.0.

The 7.3 remain in use for the E series until 2004 model year.

Then you can get your cheap, giveaway 6.0 with a busted engine, relatively new interior, and your choice of motor by installing it yourself.

And be EPA compliant.

Bonus: almost everything to swap a 7.3 into a 6.0 space can be had from the dealer or a wreck.

Or you could just buy a 2003 truck with a 7.3L in it that Ford made at the factory

2010 Cougar 322QBS 5er
Prev:
01 Dodge 2500 360 gas, 4.10
02 Dodge 2500 5.9L Cummins, 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 SRW Mega 5.9L Cummins, 3.73
Current:
2014 RAM 2500, 6.4L Hemi, 4.10, auto

10000# GVWR, 5500# FGAWR, 6500# RGAWR, 3040# payload, 15470# tow rating, 22500# GCWR

AF_Medic

Cabot, Arkansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/12 11:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm looking at a clean one owner 2003 Excursion 4X4 with 7.3 and If I could get if ofr 11K I would be all over it. Unfortnately the owners know what they got and priced it 14.5K. We will see if I can talk them down

MikeSD

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/12 07:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The trans having been replaced already is a nice bonus. Now it has a new one you'll just have to keep it cool.

Crawl under the truck and look at the oil pan. If its got major rust, you may consider looking at another one- you have to pull the engine to replace the oil pan. If its not bad, you can sand 'minor' rust off, and coat the whole oil pan in POR-15 or Rust Bullet and seal it up to keep it happy.

I don't know how comfortable you are with your own mechanical ability- I replaced my sway bar axle bushings and end-link bushings for $50- loud clunk in front end when going over bumps etc- not too bad to do if you have a shop press. All fixed now.

Ball joints can be done by yourself, but I had thenm done by the dealer because I didn't want to fool with it. A good tire/alignment shop can do that for you for less.

With 7.3's being 10 years old or more, things are starting to get old- bushings, hoses, etc. All very normal for any truck. If you don't mind doing some maintenance, it should be a rewarding truck for you.

As far as price goes, NADA prices my trade in value on my truck in the range you are looking at, and it's in great shape. I will not get rid of it for that amount of money- they can be re-sold for far more in the right market. Mine has 114,000 miles and has a nice long life ahead of it.

Edit- Go to Ford Truck Enthusiasts (www.ford-trucks.com) or Powerstrokenation.com and you can find an enormouos wealth of information, and people willing to help you out with your truck (if you buy it) and any detailed questions you may have.

2002 Ford F-350 Lariat CC, LB 4x4 7.3L PSD
2006 Jayco JayFlight 27BH

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/12 07:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MikeSD wrote:

Crawl under the truck and look at the oil pan. If its got major rust, you may consider looking at another one- you have to pull the engine to replace the oil pan. If its not bad, you can sand 'minor' rust off, and coat the whole oil pan in POR-15 or Rust Bullet and seal it up to keep it happy.

There is an alternative.

If there is no actual rust through (imminent or otherwise), attach sacrificial zinc to it and the rust will stop cold for about a 3" radi.

recycler

michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/12 07:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

that is about mid point of it's life in my book i worked on 2 for a friend and was alway putting injectors and glow plugs in them one has 330,000 and is shot don't get me wrong the interiors are comfortable if it has beem taken care would be decent truck to own

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> What's high mileage for a 7.3 power stroke diesel?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS