RV.Net Open Roads Forum: For 3 adults, 3 kids, 1 dog I need ......?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> For 3 adults, 3 kids, 1 dog I need ......?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
workhardplayharder

Treasure Coast Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 08:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I stayed in a TT and tow vehicle until the kids were out of car seats.

Eyegor

NY

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 09:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't have a specific vehicle to recommend but we that crew I'm thinking full size van with TT behind.

87 Mallard Sprinter 24' Class C Ford E350 w/460 gas "The Runny Duck"
Shiny side up, Rubber side down.

jerseyjim

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/11/12 05:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why a motorhome? IMO, motorhomes, no matter gas or diesel, or how big are almost always deigned for TWO people...with the occasional guest. Exceptions abound, tho.
You might be better off with a travel trailer...or even a 5th wheel. THEY are made for families..more than motorhomes are. Then...your problem would be finding a towing vehicle. Like a crew-cab pickup. They cost big bucks...but you may be better off NOW....and save the motorhome for....later.

JMOs. ((of which I have many))

Effy

MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/11/12 06:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jerseyjim wrote:

Why a motorhome? IMO, motorhomes, no matter gas or diesel, or how big are almost always deigned for TWO people...with the occasional guest. Exceptions abound, tho.
You might be better off with a travel trailer...or even a 5th wheel. THEY are made for families..more than motorhomes are. Then...your problem would be finding a towing vehicle. Like a crew-cab pickup. They cost big bucks...but you may be better off NOW....and save the motorhome for....later.

JMOs. ((of which I have many))

With all the floorplans, extra baths, bunks, several beds, couches chairs, you name it, this is one of the most idiotic posts I have ever seen on this forum. Most of today's MH owners are now younger and have families. Most MH's are designed for families. Pay no attention to this lunacy. We go everywhere as a family, often take extended family and travel in comfort and have a great time. And our MH is 30 ft with one bath.

2013 ACE 29.2

SteveRuff

Bacliff, Texas, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/11/12 07:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is the nanny required? I would think you two could serve as the caretakers for these short trips. That would open up more possibilities.

Both retired. Travel with Nicky the Schnoodle. Son graduated and is teaching high school math. We still love our 2006 34' Allegro Bay XB and have 50,000+ miles on her.

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/12 08:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Think you need a Prevost conversion towing a Nanny Class C apartment.

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

Wallik

Norco, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/12 03:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi guys, OP here.

OK, last posts first. Nanny is part of the extended family, so she has to go on most of the trips with us.

Would not mind a Prevost or other bus conversion, if they had 2 slide outs in my price range.

Yes, some of the posts I will not take serious.

Renegade/Kibbi - the 4 door is quite intersting, never seen a TC built on a 4door class 7/8. But with a 30ft box the whole thing is 45' long. Hm.. And I need to add full body paint (20K) to get rid of the "Taco Truck" look, but interesting idea.

Newmar Allstar and Safari Fred, yes, these were 2 of those I though about and mentioned in my original post. But not many of those were made and hard to find, especially the Allstar, also still around 180K or so.
I actually think one member on here has one, travelled extensively with family, has the one with garage in the back, even invented some rack for multiple ATVs.

2 posters mention the 3 carseats (I do know thats a big problems, esp on older coaches) and 2 bathrooms. I was afraid that might be a problem.

TT - I know they are generally made for larger families, but I tried to avoid that. We all brag about the convenience of a class A, everything in reach while travelling, hot coffe, bathroom.... I used to rent TT long time ago, well was not that much fun. And especially with 2 toddlers and 1 baby I'm not sure. Other thing is the TV, most crewcab pickups fit 3 carseats in the backrow, but then 3 adults in front is rather uncomfortable. Full size van might be what I need there, but that combo sure is no freeway flyer.

Still waiting for some guys who have that many people as me and see what they prefer.

Thanks so far

mena661

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/12 05:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wallik wrote:

Still waiting for some guys who have that many people as me and see what they prefer.
Just from reading here it seems that people that travel with crew like yours have motorhomes not 5ers or TT's. With a 5er or TT you're limited on how many people you can fit in the truck and six would definitely be uncomfortable. The DW and I are looking at a Thor Hurricane 31J, it has a power drop down front bunk big enough for two right over the cab area. We're strongly considering that MH because of that and the huge rear pass through storage. It's a gas motorhome though and only 33 feet total length.

2009 Newmar Canyon Star 3205, Ford F53 V10
Trojan L16 6V's 740 Amp-hours

Greyghost

Back in AZ for a while

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/11/12 07:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take a look at what Open Range has to offer in theiir fifth wheels. An aquantenance of ours has a 42' 5th wheel with a bedroom for the kids.

Open Range

Pat & Roger Fisher
2005 American Tradition 40W
2007 Honda CRV EX-L 4WD,
Jewel and Clifford Bouvier Des Flandres

katoomer

Vancouver

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/11/12 07:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just saw there is a 2007 Newmar Allstar 3950 bunkhouse model for sale on RVT.com.
$135K I don't know how to add the link but I would say that is your best bet.
Also people rave about how well that mid-engine chassis drives.

2009 Newmar Ventana 3942
2010 Pace Shadow 18ft
2010 KTM 450 XCW six days
2010 Can Am Outlander 650 XT
2009 Yamaha TTR125
1989 Douglas Skater 21' Twin 2.5s

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> For 3 adults, 3 kids, 1 dog I need ......?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS