|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Hung Sidewall Vs Laminated

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Retired 02

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/12 02:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are in the market for a new 5th wheel and have been looking at the Cruiser line by CrossroadsRV. They have a "hung sidewall" where both interior and exterior sidewalls are adhered to an inner framework of aluminum studs on 16" centers along with outside perimeter and door and window openings. A flexible adhesive is applied to only the studs, perimeter and frames around openings. The outside sidewall is then "hung" on the frame and screwed down along perimeter and openings. Areas in between are held down by clamping until adhesive sets.

My questions about this type of constuction are: 1) As durable over the long term as a laminated sidewall, 2) Sidewalls have more or less flexibility than laminated, 3) Anyone have problems with hung walls where sidewalls separate from studding in certain areas over time and allow more sway and flexing in whole body of the coach?

Most of the industry uses laminated sidewalls that are either vacuum bonded or pinch rolled. I am not certain if this is for production time saving/costs or because laminated sidewalls provide a more rigid and durable coach body overall. Appreciate anyone with industry or direct knowledge through experience give their opinion. Thanks.

BroncosFan

USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 02:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From reading on the forums I would stay away from the Delam prone Luan backing on exterior sidewalls.

Oasisbob

Portland Oregon 97266

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 02:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting post. Hung siding has been around pretty much since day one.Flexability is seldom a concern. It is also much easier to repair or replace a panel than to fix a laminated wall. I would go with old school hung siding if it were me. My laminated siding currently owned is holding up though in waxing this season I do notice wall framing can be felt pushing outward. My understanding is that laminated siding is vacuum pressed at factory so ow would one fix a damaged panel with compromised vacuum? I jusst think laminated siding is more for ease of manufacturing than for the consumer. There are many here who know more than I and may present points I have not considered. That is what makes this forum great. Best of luck in whatever you choose.

Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife & 4 Really Fun kids
2008 KIA Sedona 3.8L 24 valve V-6
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS

jdiffend

Denver, CO

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 03:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oasisbob wrote:

Interesting post. Hung siding has been around pretty much since day one.Flexability is seldom a concern. It is also much easier to repair or replace a panel than to fix a laminated wall. I would go with old school hung siding if it were me. My laminated siding currently owned is holding up though in waxing this season I do notice wall framing can be felt pushing outward. My understanding is that laminated siding is vacuum pressed at factory so ow would one fix a damaged panel with compromised vacuum? I jusst think laminated siding is more for ease of manufacturing than for the consumer. There are many here who know more than I and may present points I have not considered. That is what makes this forum great. Best of luck in whatever you choose.

The vacuum is just used to remove air from between the layers of the wall and insure the entire surface is bonded together. Once they remove a panel from the vacuum chamber there is no vacuum to compromise anymore.

avvidclif1

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 04:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll invite you to the Crossroads Forum. There you can talk with RVer's with various age Crossroads products and find out what they think. Trust me if there is a problem it will be aired over there. It's a no holds barred group, but civil.

www.crossroads.com and click on the Family Forum link at the bottom.

Clif & Millie
Ozzie half a dog tall and 2 dogs long
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2013 Crossroads Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition

mwebber78

New England

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/12 05:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hung wall construction has been around awhile - there are several benefits including the ability to repair a section with a defect, run wires/plumbing inside the wall and have flush mounted receptacles, the ability to use reflective foil insulation, real batt insulation, and more.

Crossroads, DRV, Carriage, and some other premium companies have long stood by hung wall construction.

2013 Jayco Eagle 334RBTS
Disclaimer for the daft: Don't confuse my opinion with facts.

HEH458

Arlingon, TX

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 05:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe I'm just old school but I prefer to have studs every 16" or less than styrofoam and a few aluminum studs to provide stuctural integrity. I also prefer the fiberglass insulation instead of styrofoam.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Hung Sidewall Vs Laminated
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS