|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska

> advice on summer trip to Maritimes

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
dakasa47

Lynn Ma

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 04:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello, I am a reader and sometimes poster on the forums. I teach school and have the summer off and husband is retired. We are thinking of traveling this summer to the Maritimes. We live outside of Boston MA. My thought is that we would travel along the coast of Maine to New Brunswick then to Nova Scotia and maybe PEI but I really want to go to Newfoundland. I have been researching and it looks so beautiful and so much to see. Plus for years I taught 5th graders about the Vikings that settled for a while in New Foundland. And we both have an interest in the Marine Archaic Indians. Also in my reaearch I learned about the Gros Morne Np and it looks so beautiful. My question is would that be too ambitious to do in 6 weeks?

Another question is about the National Parks campgrounds. When I went on the site to check reservation in a few of the campgrounds it kept telling me that nothing was available. I am not sure if I am doing something wrong or if we are too late to get sites. What are the chances of getting sites if we just show up?

Last I would appreciate any recommendations for must see places.

Thank You,

Marianne

David and Marianne
2010 Tundra
2007 FunFinder 21'

Chuck&Gail

In the Colorado Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/12 04:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Newfoundloand is great. We also liked Viking stuff, fun. You need to allow a minimum of 3 weeks, 4 is better, to see Newfoundland. So 6 weeks is fine if you use the other two weeks to get to and from Newfoundland. See the others another time.

IMO about 4 days on PEI, at least a week in Nova Scotia (and that is pushing it), and a week in New Brunswick.

We never made reservations, never had any trouble getting a site anywhere in Atlantic Canada.

Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

Burwoods

Outside Toronto, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 04:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wonder if maybe as they are not open, if that would be the reason that you cannot make a reservation yet. Most will be open May 21, I believe.

Bob and Sally

NCWriter

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/12 05:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take a look at Canada's national parks site..I think most of them are open to make bookings about April 15, varies by a few days. Provincial parks also vary but in April also it seems.

Somewhere on the site was a chart with the dates by park for all the NPs

* This post was edited 03/11/12 05:58am by NCWriter *

2006 Leisure Travel Van Free Spirit 210B Sprinter,
also known as the "Lab Cab" for Hearing Dog Raylene
(a 2014 graduate of Dogs for the Deaf, Inc.)

FC

Tavistock,Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/12 06:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you send me a p message with your e-mail I will send you a word file on things to see and do in the Maritimes, as well as an invitation to look at some pictures of the Maritimes we tookt here in the summer of 2010. I was born in New Brunswicka nd my wife in Nova Scotia.

2003 Georgetown 346DS Ford F-53
2008 Pontiac G6 Toad, Blue Ox Aventa LX
Family Campers & RVers--- Come Camp With Us
www.fcrv.org

Little Kopit

TheMaritimes.ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 09:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, what you are talking about is called Atlantic Canada That's what the 1st provincial premier Joey Smallwood wanted for a name when the province of Newfoundland and Labrador joined Canada in 1949. Or, don't say "The Maritimes" to refer to all 4 eastern most provinces when in either Newfoundland or Labrador.

Port aux Choix has archaelogoical digs for Maritime Archaic Indians which can be visited by the public.

Gros Morne National Park and L'Anse aux Meadows are part of Parks Canada. They have their own reservation system. Green Point cg in Gros Morne NP is open all year round. Services are basic.

There are lots of ways to camp in Newfoundland outside of cgs. It's likely as good as or better than AK for boondocking.

Frankly, I know of those who think 2 months for Newfoundland. There is plenty for longer trips in the 3 other eastern provinces too.

& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Tripalot

Golden Horseshoe, Ont. Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/11/12 10:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been to NL several times. My suggestion would be to make it your first destination. With your interest in the Vikings, etc. stay on the west coast, maybe take a 2 or 3 day trip to Labrador while there. One trip we spent 5 weeks just on the West Coast. There is a lot to see in that area - Gros Morne Park is very nice and be sure to spend time in the Table Lands area. After you have had your fill, then consider going to another part of NL. Since you live close to N.B., N.S., PEI, I would make that a separate trip another year. You will love NL - it is a big island, so don't cut your time short or you will regret it.

2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
Toyota Highlander tow car with Remco lube pump
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

CBIslanderNS

Cape Breton island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/12 07:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi, being from Nova Scotia, and in particular Cape Breton Island, I am kind of partial to the Cabot Trail, and of course Fortress Louisbourg (2 absolute must sees). Newfoundland is huge. The two ferry routes from North Sydney take you to either the Eastern Coast (near St John's) or the western coast(port aux Basques). I suspect you can see a lot in three weeks, depending of course how adventurous you guys are. Newfoundland will be extremely expensive, check the ferry rates beforehand, for a truck and trailer...http://www.marine-atlantic.ca/ I suspect your truck, trailer and two adults will cost you a little over $300 each way to the western coast (Port aux Basques). This is roughly a 6 or 7 hr crossing. I'm not wanting to scare away tourists, but our gas and diesel are both running close to $1.40 per litre and there are roughly 4 litres per gallon (3.78 per gallon), so $5.29 per gallon. That will surely increase by summertime. I'm guessing that your fuel and ferry costs alone, just to get to Newfoundland will run you around $700. We always head your way for our vacation, with cheaper gas/diesel, lower taxes (we pay 15% in Nova Scotia), less roadside litter, and better roads. However, assuming you already know the costs, the Atlantic Provinces have a lot in common with the New England states, and you will feel right at home. I think 6 weeks will give you plenty of time to take in everything. PEI is very small, and you can see everything worth seeing in 2 or 3 days.(they love to gouge the tourists) New Brunswick is very similar in a lot of ways to Maine and Nova Scotia, so I wouldn't put too much time there either... maybe 4 days (the Eastern corner). Mainland Nova Scotia is good for a week, and Cape Breton will take you 3 or 4 days (to see it properly). I hope I didn't talk you out of your trip, ha ha

dakasa47

Lynn Ma

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/12 03:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I appreciate all this info. I had NO idea that the ferry is so expensive. I will have to rethink that part of the trip. I have been to Nova Scotia...many many years ago ..on a VERY short honeymoon. Gas prices are also a consideration. We do figure in gas to the cost of the trips. I just filled my tank today at 3.79 a gallon. We are trying to decide between Montana or Maritimes. I am enjoying researching each island and learning about the culture and history and the families.
I have an ancestor from NS through my maternal grandmother.....the name is Cameron...family legend has it that the ancestor did something to upset her father and was told to "never darken my doorsteps again" and the woman left and settled in the Boston area....

Marianne

Little Kopit

TheMaritimes.ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/12 04:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dakasa47, check things out for your rig @ Marine Atlantic: http://www.marineatlantic.ca/eng/index.asp.

Also, subscribe to the Newsletter of the Consumer Group for Gas Prices (Newfoundland and Labrador) http://gasandoil.blogspot.com/ & bookmark the table of vehicle petroleum prices: http://www.pub.nf.ca/orders/ppo/fuel/Fuel_120308.pdf

a) you will note that the Consumer Group researcher George Murphy uses far more world trends than the classic "prices go up before a long weekend" or "prices are higher in summer". Right now, he's leaning much more heavily on how the high government debt situations are influencing gas and diesel prices. Or, maybe, if Greece, Italy, Spain, anyone looks like it will default on its government debt, consumer gas prices will go up.

b)you will note that gasoline prices are lower in areas of larger population. Look before you decide to buy.

Re. genealogy, Provincial Archives of Nova Scotia Terry Punch is THE Nova Sotia expert on that topic.

PM me if you'd like me to give you some online Atlantic Canada genealogical sources. During my 24.5 years living in Newfoundland I worked with a Cameron from Nova Scotia who married a lass from Newfoundland. He's still a Newfoundland resident.

As you can see from my location I'm now back across The Gulf.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska

> advice on summer trip to Maritimes
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS