RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Portland Or area weather question

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Portland Or area weather question

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 07:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you near the valley floor, anytime. If your up in altitude in a few weeks. If your ready to camp, dewinterize now, probably won't need to winterize by the time you get back.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison

Eric&Lisa

Scappoose, OR

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/12 05:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am right across the river from you in Scappoose. I never winterize. But then again, my camper lives in a heated shop.

I would not have a problem leaving my camper outside right now with water in the tanks and lines. We are past the point of the full-day sub-freezing temperatures. We may dip below frost at night, but we will pull back above it during the day. To freeze the RV tanks & lines, it needs to be cold enough to turn every mud puddle and pond into a chunk of ice.

Worse case the forecast looks dodgy...go out and flip on the camper heater set to 45 degrees. Open a few cabinet doors and it will be fine.

Finally if you want more proof... Before you have to worry about your RV freezing, it needs to stop raining!!! (Welcome to the Pacific Northwet!)

Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/12 06:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should be fine -- you have to get down below freezing for a prolonged period of time to have water freeze issues in an RV -- I'm at 500 feet and it may get down to 28 for a few hours which poses no problems. With that said -- it's rainy, windy and otherwise miserable so I have no intentions of going camping in the near future.

Kevin

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/12 07:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dalmationlovers wrote:

I don't do a full winterize in mine. I keep a heater in mine and all lines have been blown and cabnet doors open. When I know that the weather will get and stay below freezing for more than a day I turn a heater on. I also have Dri-eze inside to keep the moisture out. No issues so far. If it does freeze this time of year it will warm up above freezing during the day. Born and raise in the NW and I'm over 56 so I guess I should know. JMHO though

x2. I would have no problem doing it now. Most of the freezing is really short lived. Just stick a heater in for iffy times.

turbopilot51

Ridgefield, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/12 09:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I forgot to winterize my outside shower on my tt one year. When I de-winterized it leaked and needed replaced. Someone please turn off the rain fire hose! Enough already!

gotsmart

Aberdeen, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/12 12:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Normally I'd say one needs a good umbrella and rain coat, BUT...

on January 17, 2012 we received about 10 inches of frozen rain in Elma, WA ....and this is west of the Cascades. An inch or 2, maybe - but when we all had to hire someone to plow the lanes....

* This post was edited 08/19/12 02:46pm by gotsmart *

2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

Hammerhead

Moon Base 5

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/12 01:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We usually make our first camping trip in April. Who knows what this spring will be like with snow on the ocean beaches a couple of days ago.

RoadXYZ

OR-WA-ID-CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/12 03:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

turbopilot51 wrote:

I forgot to winterize my outside shower on my tt one year. When I de-winterized it leaked and needed replaced. Someone please turn off the rain fire hose! Enough already!

Amen = turn off the rain fire hose !

We are sitting down here near Astoria while volunteering at Ft. Clatsop and were prepared for some rain, but snow earlier this week was not what we were expecting .. sure glad Monday was nice.

We full-time and sometimes volunteer also, but holy cow someone please tell Old Man Winter that enuff is enuff and time for him to go to Australia ...

Hope everyone is away from Nehalam River or wher floodwaters are rising .. Take Care.

Full-Time RV'rs - Grandma, Grandpa, & Petunia, 8 yr old Chi
2008 Suburban / 30 ft. Alpenlite Travel Trailer

VOLUNTEERS - NPS, Oregon State Parks, USACE, Christian Retreat Centers, Local events, etc.

Bigdog

silverdale wa.

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/12 06:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gotsmart wrote:

Normally I'd say one needs a good umbrella and rain coat, BUT...

on January 17, 2012 we received about 10 inches of frozen rain in Elma, WA ....and this is west of the Cascades. An inch or 2, maybe - but when we all had to hire someone to plow the lanes....

That looks like the Elma RV park several years ago when my Mom died in January and we had to go down there in the trailer and it got down to 15 degrees and snowed..Wtaer thawed out in the late PM and then an hour later started to freeze again.

I really never winterize as we usually try to get out once a month to go somewhere around the area.I do drain the onboard water tank and lines and as I do have the MH at home I'm able to keep it plugged into a dedicated 30 amp hook-up. If it's really gonna get cold,I turn the furnaces on to about 45 degrees.

Hey all of you folks from Wa and Or,check out the rally threads for the Northwest RV.net rally in May at the Wine country RV park in Prosser.. We're a good bunch and don't bite.. (unless asked)

GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

gotsmart

Aberdeen, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/12 02:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bigdog,
I haven't moved from that site since late September 2011. There's been about 40 to 60 RVs in the park all winter. Between April 15 and May 1 we will all scatter into the wind. There were a few times that it got into the 20s (F). The only necessary accomodations needed are:

-to insulate your water line (or use heat tape)
-during freezing temps leave galley/grey holding tank valve open and run the faucet at a slow trickle. The running water keep the line from freezing.
-a good dehimidifier. Mine sits on kitchen counter, runs continuously and drains into the sink. My grey tank valve is open. It keeps the MH to 30% humidity
-a good electric space heater (or 2). I even have a backup space heater.
-(for MHs mostly) have an external propane bottle. Although we have propane delivery to each site 'most' Fridays, having a backup source for propane is important. I added a Stay-A-While Deluxe and a 20lb bottle (buried under snow in the above picture)

The only other thing to do is if you're going to leave the park early and return late (7PM - 10 PM) is to leave the faucet running at a trickle just in case it gets below freezing outside before you return.

I have an Oregon Scientific indoor/outdoor thermometer that can handle up to 3 remote sensors. I have 1 sensor in a wheel well and another in the water compartment near the water pump. I have about 4 inches of water in the water tank - mostly to make sure that the pump stays wet. It will be santized before I leave. The water compartment hasn't gone below 40F, then again it shouldn't as I have a 2 inch air duct from the furnace running to it. I have no heating pads on the holding tanks - not needed here in Elma.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Portland Or area weather question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS