|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Open Range Residential 5th wheel

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Brian and Michele

VA

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 05:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Considering for full time, thoughts...opinions, the good, the bad and ugly?

----------------------------------------------------------
Brian and Michele
Hanna "the Wonder dog"
Silver Sloopy
07 Dodge Ram Quad, 3500 Dually, 4x4, 6.7 Cummins Diesel
08 Palomino Maverick M-1050 w/slide out

dqdick

Council Grove, KS

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 05:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Couple of friends of ours who have been at it a while and have made numerous mods to their rig have one on order. If they want one, you'll be happy.

Dick and Joyce
2010 Montana 3665RE
Dodge 2500HD Maxi Cab Laramie Edition
Diego, Norm, & Bitsy

Vulcaneer

Central New Hampshire, Naples, FL

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/12 06:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pretty sure the residential is NOT manufactured for FULLTIME USE. So you should first check with Open Range to be sure. Don't depend onb the dealer to inform you. As far as anything I have seen from Open Range, they make their RV's for the sole intention of medium term PART TIME use. Such as seasonal use on a C/G site.

Beyond that suggestion, I am of the opinion, that the Open Range Residential is not built for full time use. A really nice and well built rig for seasonal, snow birding or part time use. But not really built for up to the task of full time use.

'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2011 Open Range 393RLS 14,250 GVWR
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL you Giggle and Poop.

Robin'n'Marian

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/12 06:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We will be monitoring this topic, as the Open Range Residential 412RSS is on our short list of new units, hoping to be full-time before fall.

Brian and Michele

VA

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/12 12:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bump, working 3 year plan to full time and look at 5th wheel manufactures....

Brian

Us out West

Let's see...last night we stayed in......

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/11/12 07:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Question is what does Full Time camping really mean?

North in the summer and spending the winter in the warmer Southern climates is the way most of the Full-Timers do it.

Yes there are amentities, dual AC's, thermal-pane windows, larger holding tanks that make things more comfortable in different RV's but I think the term 'Full Timing' is taken to be a very special unit...doesn't have to be.

Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)

36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

mwebber78

New England

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/11/12 07:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It doesn't have to be "special" but there are certian things a Carriage, DRV, Nuwa, and others typically have built in for extended use. Examples include a T&G residential style sub-floor system vs a foam laminated floor, proper vapor barriers and roof cavity venting, residential grade furniture and cabinets, and so on.

Many people full-time in a Montana, Cedar Creek, etc. so you are right - you can "full-time" in any level of a RV. Just be mindful that the rate of wear and tear may not be up to your satisfaction.

2013 Jayco Eagle 334RBTS
Disclaimer for the daft: Don't confuse my opinion with facts.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/12 09:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Vulcaneer wrote:

Pretty sure the residential is NOT manufactured for FULLTIME USE. So you should first check with Open Range to be sure. Don't depend onb the dealer to inform you. As far as anything I have seen from Open Range, they make their RV's for the sole intention of medium term PART TIME use. Such as seasonal use on a C/G site.

Beyond that suggestion, I am of the opinion, that the Open Range Residential is not built for full time use. A really nice and well built rig for seasonal, snow birding or part time use. But not really built for up to the task of full time use.

I just purchased a Open Range unit. I am very satisfied so far. But I agree with Vulcaneer. If I were looking to full time I would look for a unit built to a higher standard than OR.
I agree any unit can be used to full time in. The question becomes how well will it hold up over the long haul.
I would suggest research units that are rated for full time use and compare to OR.
Do your research and be sure to get it right the first time, experience has taught me it always cost more to get it right the second time.

07'Duramax dually,12'Open Range 399BHS
Hawkshead TPMS,Hensley BD3,K-Bee exhaust brake
Blue Ox Bedsaver,air bags,Garmin RV760 w/BC20 camera
Arvika bike rack,Bak-Flip G2
5500 Onan LP,Progressive surge,keyless RV Lock
Porta Bote w/8.0 Nissan
Vu Cube,Splendide WD

jdiffend

Denver, CO

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/12 08:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I really liked the Open Range residential units when I first looked at them.
When I went back to take a 2nd look I found a lot of little problems and something I thought was a big problem. So I dropped them from my list due to careless construction.

The big thing for me was a gap between the wall and the floor under the bathroom sink but it wasn't the only thing I found wrong.

jdiffend

Denver, CO

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/12 08:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mwebber78 wrote:

It doesn't have to be "special" but there are certian things a Carriage, DRV, Nuwa, and others typically have built in for extended use. Examples include a T&G residential style sub-floor system vs a foam laminated floor, proper vapor barriers and roof cavity venting, residential grade furniture and cabinets, and so on.

Many people full-time in a Montana, Cedar Creek, etc. so you are right - you can "full-time" in any level of a RV. Just be mindful that the rate of wear and tear may not be up to your satisfaction.

What mwebber78 said.

If you can find a used fiver of any brand you are considering that has been lived in, look at the carpet. I ran across a few used 5ers that had worn out carpet on the stairs to the bedroom even though the units were only a few years old.

Also bounce up and down on the floor and see how much the floor flexes in a used model. You can expect your new 5er to be like that in the same amount of time.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Open Range Residential 5th wheel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS