|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Picking up new travel trailer

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Reader1

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 05:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DH & I will be with our DD and husband when they go to pick up their new travel trailer. We have what we think is a pretty comprehensive list to make sure they understand all mechanics and we check everything out. I'd like to ask if there are any items that you may have missed checking when you picked your travel trailers up from dealers, and wish you had checked more carefully. I am wondering if I am missing anything on my list. Thanks in advance!!

coolbreeze01

Redding, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 06:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Add get up on the roof to your list. Make sure everything is secure. Crawl underneath and do the same. Have fun.

2008 Dodge 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Mountain Mama

N. TX

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 06:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's a link to some checklists from the FAQs Sticky in the "Beginning RVing" forum posts that are very complete in my opinion.

Make sure all the remotes, etc are there. I had a friend who just picked up hers last Sat and when she got it home and was looking at it again, her air mattress for her sleeper sofa wasn't there. They are shipping it to her.

Ours was preowned unit,but we found out that we have no remote for the radio/cd/clock and there is no way to set the clock w/o it, so it just flashes all the time.. Could buy one but it's about $35 or so.

Check all the systems: water, gas, cookstove, oven, microwave, furnace & a/c.

If you think they will need it later, they might want someone to video tape/record the PDI. Then they have it to refer to in the future..might come in handy when and if they decide to sell it also.

2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT

anaro

Mebane, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/12 09:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bring a video camera and designate one person to video tape the entire thing. Someone suggested that to us and we can't thank them enough. We have watched that video several times, even keep a copy in the trailer. Make sure they not only demo how everything works (and I do mean everything) but repeat the demonstration yourself so you have had a chance to do it while being watched. If they installed a WDH and/or sway control, have them hook it up and unhook it for you and then you do it too. I mean take it all the way off the ball and put it back on. Pay special attention to just how the hitch sits on the ball when properly coupled so you know what it should look like. Check all the caulking everywhere and even run in and out slides. If there are any young kids, either leave them w/ a babysitter or bring something that will entertain them the whole time. We brought a portable DVD player and sat our 4 yr old on the sofa in the RV. She watched a new movie she hadn't seen and was mesmerized for the whole thing. I would check on her periodically and i knew she didn't know how to open the outside door (I just opened a window so I could hear her if she needed me). We were inside the shop and the mechanics around us all knew she was in there. It was a little distracting but better than having her tag along the whole time (babysitter idea wasn't possible that day for us but I highly recommend the babysitter idea). Do not and I repeat do not sign for anything or give them any money until the PDI has been completed to your satisfaction and everything has been fixed to your satisfaction. Make sure they know ahead of time to schedule extra time as you plan to go through everything. Good luck and remember to have some fun with it!

2014 Silverado 3500 Duramax, SRW, Crew Cab, 4WD
2014 Palomino Sabre 34REQS - 5 nights camped
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BL - sold after 3 1/2 yrs and 76 nights camped in it!

usmc616

Orange County, New York

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/12 07:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Open and close each cabinet door/drawer, look for loose screws, sticking doors etc. Run the blinds up and down, I didn't check all of mine and when I got home i found one of the strings had a small knot in it preventing it from going all the way up.

SEMPER FI
Joe,Joyce 4 kids & 3 dogs
2004 Ford Excursion LTD 4x4 V-10 3.73 Gears, Hellwig Swaybar, Bilstein Shocks & Steering Stabilizer, Roadmaster Active Suspension, Super Duty Tow Mirrors
Reese Dual Cam & Prodigy Brake Controller
2010 Jayco G2 32BHDS.

wannavolunteerFT

South Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/11/12 11:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go through how to work Awning, when I bought new TT in Oct, it had a different brand awning from my previous one. When i picked up new TT, I was concentrating on the new things (like the slide and the auto light water heater). I did not really pay a lot of attention to the awning operation. The following weekend, it took a while for me to figure out how to open and close the awning.

reader2

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/12 05:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just wanted to say thanks again for all the ideas! We picked up our camper on St. Patrick's Day, and had my dad videotape. I've already watched the DVD once to make sure I know how to dewinterize the camper (as I am none to patiently waiting for our first trip)! The following weekend, my 3 yr. old daughter and I went back up to videotape for some friends who were picking up their camper, and I borrowed the idea of bringing a new movie for her. Worked perfectly, and we are both fairly certain we can do everything with these! now if the weather would just cooperate a bit and warm up so we could go camping!

2012 Zinger ZT26BL

reader2

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/12 04:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the advice! We are bringing our oldest (at seven, he's very interested in helping set up) but am attempting to find a babysitter so the youngest can stay home...and am adding to the list! Can't wait to pick it up and try it out!

retired4fun2002

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/12 05:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I totally agree with the video camera, you can go over and over it, and the sound track is there - priceless!! I would also have the dealer hook up the water to city water and see it work....check for leaks at the pump, which could be under a couch. Underneath, check those levelers, oftentimes they are bent on the lot. Have fun, and enjoy the day....camping is a great thing. Safe travels.

BritRam

Calgary

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/12 06:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

anaro wrote:

Bring a video camera and designate one person to video tape the entire thing. Someone suggested that to us and we can't thank them enough. We have watched that video several times, even keep a copy in the trailer. Make sure they not only demo how everything works (and I do mean everything) but repeat the demonstration yourself so you have had a chance to do it while being watched. If they installed a WDH and/or sway control, have them hook it up and unhook it for you and then you do it too. I mean take it all the way off the ball and put it back on. Pay special attention to just how the hitch sits on the ball when properly coupled so you know what it should look like. Check all the caulking everywhere and even run in and out slides. If there are any young kids, either leave them w/ a babysitter or bring something that will entertain them the whole time. We brought a portable DVD player and sat our 4 yr old on the sofa in the RV. She watched a new movie she hadn't seen and was mesmerized for the whole thing. I would check on her periodically and i knew she didn't know how to open the outside door (I just opened a window so I could hear her if she needed me). We were inside the shop and the mechanics around us all knew she was in there. It was a little distracting but better than having her tag along the whole time (babysitter idea wasn't possible that day for us but I highly recommend the babysitter idea). Do not and I repeat do not sign for anything or give them any money until the PDI has been completed to your satisfaction and everything has been fixed to your satisfaction. Make sure they know ahead of time to schedule extra time as you plan to go through everything. Good luck and remember to have some fun with it!

This is really good Info. Thank you very much....

2009 RAM 1500 SPORT.
2012 DUTCHMEN SPORT 265BHS

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Picking up new travel trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS