RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Parking 5th wheel on your own empty lot?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Parking 5th wheel on your own empty lot?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
jetenbu

Southeast Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/11/12 07:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been thinking about purchasing a small piece of land here in Texas and parking my 5th wheel in my signature there during the winter time. If I do this, I will put in a small septic system and have water and electricity available. I think a small parking pad might also be a good idea or I could just have gravel hauled in.

I am just wondering if anyone else on this forum has done this or thought of doing it. If I can get the land/lot at a cheap enough price I think it would be wonderful. I do not want a lot of trees on the lot as I use a satelite dish for my television viewing.

If anyone has done this or thought of doing this, please let me know your thoughts.

Jim

RV: 2012 Montana 3625RE Quad Slide SKP#108921
TV: 2004.5 Dodge Dually 3500 HD
Favorite Quote: ''Life's tough, pilgrim, and it's even tougher if you're stupid.''-- John Wayne

Warning: THIS RIG PROTECTED BY SMITH AND WESSON!

U.S. Navy Vietnam Vet 1967-1968

robbins1

maine

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/11/12 08:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't know about Texas, but about a mile up the road from me (midcoast Maine) 2 retired couples developed a nice spot for themselves. One a fifth wheel the other a Class A. Water/sewer/power. Had a storage shed onsite and gravel pads and driveway. Flower beds and shrubs even! They wintered in Florida at a similar setup. Worked for them.

~~~ruth~~~

rjf7g

Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/11/12 08:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should become aware of local zoning ordinances. Something like that would not be allowed in some areas of my county in Virginia!

2006 Palomino Puma 27FQ Bunkhouse
2007 Gulfstream Innsbruck 36FRS Park Trailer

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/12 08:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep, check local codes/ordinances. Some areas do not allow living in an RV.
Some areas has minimum standards that must be met for a septic system, such as a perc test of the soil, and no smaller than a 500 gallon tank. Keep in mind that if the system is not installed per code, it may make it nearly impossible to sell the property at a later date.
It CAN be done. It HAS been done. Yes, you CAN do it in Texas, IF you make yourself aware of all the codes, laws, rules, regulations, and ordinances that may apply, and comply with them.
Good luck.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad 1: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (and Toad 2): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

campn4walleye

Central WI

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/12 08:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have some property here in northern WI to do the same thing. However, the local codes say that the unit has to be removed Nov-Mar. Due to towing length laws (tandem towing), we have decided to go with a TC. We're now contemplating putting in a holding tank.

2011 Adventurer 910FBS,Torklift tie downs,Fastguns & Wobbl-stopprs
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW 6.7L CTD, 4x4, LB,CC,6 speed auto,3.73 axle, General 17" on/off road
2008 Lund 1825 Explorer Sport,115 Merc,9.9 kicker,Torklift Super Hitch,42" Supertruss
USAF ret E-9&E-7

FunnyCamper

Southeastern

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/12 08:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

yup, check zoning and all requirements first.

then, sure it sounds like a good idea if you want that.

We are not a one place family. We want the wheels to turn ALOT
but if you don't want planned activities and stuff a seasonal stay at a cg might offer, it is a good idea!

WyoTraveler

Northwest, Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/11/12 08:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were full timing with out 5th wheel and we did put our RV on our own property in Wyoming.

Like mentioned in a previous post you need to check zoning to see if it is allowed. They can also tell you what is required for a septic, power, well driveway etc.

We put in a full RV hook up with 20. 30 and 50 amp electrical, septic, leach line, water well, gravel driveway, and gravel pad for the RV. We also built a 10 ft by 10 ft shed to store things in. Since it gets cold in Wyoming we installed heat tape on the water line faucet at the RV spot that is controlled by a switch in the breaker box.

That faucet is a freeze proof faucet but that is only when the faucet is of. When the faucet is on it can freeze. We then carry water hose with heat tape mounted on it. We rented a 120 gallon propane tank when we were here. They removed it for the winter months.

Since we were concerned about other people just pulling in and using the RV spot we worked with the power company and we could call them and give them turn off and turn on dates for the power. The septic tank permit cost of $75. All of the other permits were free. Just had to draw up a plan for them. Since out 5Ver was licensed they require a permit but that permit is free. If your RV is not licensed for the road then they put a value on the RV and adjust your property taxes.

It is not cheap putting in everything for the RV. I'm guessing about $25,000 to put everything in. Labor and supplies.

2013 Monaco Monarch
2012 Jeep Wrangler
AC6CV, ex-WN8RUR, ex-W8RUR, ex-K7RIO, ex-WB6GBR since 1954
Commercial 1st class Radio Telephone, & Telegraph certificate
ARRL 35 WPM Certificate.

dqdick

Council Grove, KS

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/12 10:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are building our summer/storage place in a small rural town who was more than happy to have us. Hook ups will be for two RV's. Since we are 40 miles from I-70 we may have friends stop by when traveling. Two sheds, one will have facilities, storage and a place for Joyce to do major art projects and one for my workshop. Water and sewer are city so we have no concerns there. Power will come to the sheds first and the shut off for the RV hookups will be there. Both the current sheriff and one deputy live in town so it's also reasonably secure. Will also have the larger shed rigged for heat so if we want to come back and visit the kids for Christmas we can leave the rig where it's warm.

Dick and Joyce
2010 Montana 3665RE
Dodge 2500HD Maxi Cab Laramie Edition
Diego, Norm, & Bitsy

korbe

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/12 10:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the zoning allows it, permits will be required for the improvements.

We are able to dry camp on our lot for up to 30 days at a time but we are not proposing any improvements.

2004 F250 SD PSD
2004 Crossroads Cruiser CF25RS

ferretgrandpa

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/12 01:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Permits for sewer may be the only real problem. dqdick has it right, find a small town that wants you, then use city sewer system, that's what we did 4 years ago.

98 GMC 2500
RBW Lil Rocker 15K
08 Flagstaff 8526 RLS

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Parking 5th wheel on your own empty lot?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS