|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Looking for a good resort around Tampa

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
MPI_Mallard

McGregor Ontario,St. Cloud Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/11/12 10:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm looking for a good resort around Tampa,wer'e at Deer Creek in Davenport and its an OK resort but way too quiet (another God's waiting room) for us. I would like to be close to the gulf perhaps on/near the water.

Thanks in advance!

07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Bl├╝cher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...

fchammer1

FL, PA & points in between

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/12 10:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep, been there (Deer Creek) and up the road at Theme World and several others in that area. OK, if you work for the Mouse or enjoy slightly cooler weather.

On or near the water could be a problem anywhere in SW Florida. Close to Tampa, Happy Camper on Fowler was OK, and farther south you'll find any number of good campgrounds (even a resort or two) off I-75. I suggest you book 2-3 days here and there and spend the time exploring.

We did that by staying a month at Fort Myers RV Resort (part of the Wilder Group), and found our niche after looking at a dozen or so possibilities.
Good Luck. PM me for a list of Lee County resorts and campgrounds (near Fort Myers) if you're interested in looking farther south.

fchammer1

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/12 05:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have stayed at both of the above and they both have many good points; however, remember it can be a mite chilly anywhere north of Lake Okeechobee. Yes, it is more expensive closer to the coast, but you generally get what you pay for. And -- don't overlook the interior sections of southern Florida.

jones4110

Champlin, MN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/11/12 01:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We enjoyed Dunedin RV Resort. Nice location and friendly folks.

Joan and Bruce
05 Excursion 39L
powered by 350 KittyCATS on a Spartan
2010 Traverse LT toad (Blue Ox & Breakbuddy)
...and a "road dog" named Max and his gabby sister, Abby.
"May the wind be always at your back and your destination the one you chose"

thecampingman

Wilmington, OH, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/12 06:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like Ft. Myers too (Lee County) but the county has invested so much in tourist infrastructure that most of the campgrounds don't even bother with a lot of "on-site" activities.
Lee Parks
Here at Fox Park in N.Ft. Myers the only scheduled activity is trash pick up every tuesday. That's all I want, a quiet place to sleep.
It's like the whole county is a resort.

'03 GMC 4500 Topkick with Duramax/Allison
'04 36' McKenzie Medallion triple slide
Cabover kayak racks w/18' touring kayaks.
Bicycle carrier on the front with a street bike & a mountain bike
Snowbird W/Ohio camper dock

lj2654

weeki wachee, florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/12 06:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rockcrusher Campground in Crystal River is a great place, real nice wooded sites, friendly people, huge pool and nice clubhouse. Plenty to do in the area. Beach, restaurants, parks,etc.

2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

fchammer1

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/12 10:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thecampingman's comment about in-park activities is far from accurate, and he has obviously never visited
IBE
where a snowbird will find more activities than any park we have ever visited -- from CA to the RGV to the southeast incl Florida.

And just two miles away is Citrus Park where softball is so popular that they field nine teams.

In-park activities are there if you want to find them. If not, then there are also places like Fox Park where you can lay back and watch the grass grow -- except when the trash truck blocks your view.

botts12

On the Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/12 08:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are from Florida and after we started full time (5 years ago) we began spending our winters in Arizona. We found as you did that the Fla. crowd is older, the resorts are not as nice, they are much pricier, and have less activities. We do spend the fall in Ft. Myers however, Lower prices, great kayaking, biking, beaching restaurant deals etc. Lots of park models in all the resorts in that area. You will find you are sandwiched between them.

John&Joey

Some Location

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/12 06:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MPI_Mallard wrote:

...but way too quiet (another God's waiting room) for us...

I've noticed a direct relationship in the number of park models to the number of waiting room participants. We're currently in a very youthful park because of the threat of hurricanes (if you can believe it.) No rig can stay on a site for more then 6 months forcing people to stay mobile and the rigs to stay in rolling condition at all times.

You might want to ask any potential RV parks what percentage is park models. In Florida if they go over a certain number of park models then they get taxed more, so there will almost always be a certain number of spots open for travelers in all of these "staging area's." The lower the percentage, the more mobile the snowbirds will be.

maznchle

north port

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/12 06:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi, if you want to go a little more south of tampa try sun and fun in sarasota as we stayed there last yr for a month and had a blast. There is plenty to do at this park so look at their site and rv reviews. A little pricy but we enjoyed all the activities etc. paul..

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Looking for a good resort around Tampa
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS