|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> New 5'er weight ?'s

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
wandering1

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/11/12 06:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How much 5er can you tow? How much does the 5er weigh? What is the hitch pin weight? Look at the specs for your truck. If you don’t have the specs then get them from the dealer or the manufacturer.

There are 3 things you need to know about your truck, 1. Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR), 2. Gross Combinned Weight Rating (GCWR), 3. Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR).

1. GVWR - A vehicle's GVWR is a specific weight rating determined by the manufacturer to be the maximum weight of a loaded tow vehicle which includes base curb weight of the vehicle plus the weight of any optional accessories, cargo, passengers fuel, and hitch pin weight. A vehicle should never be loaded beyond the manufacturer's listed GVWR.
2. GCWR - A vehicle's GCWR is a specific weight rating determined by the manufacturer to be the maximum weight of a loaded tow vehicle and its attached loaded trailer. The total weight of the tow vehicle and trailer should never exceed the manufacturer's listed GCWR
3. GAWR - A vehicle's GAWR is the specific weight rating determined by the manufacturer to be the maximum allowable weight that can be placed on an individual axle. The axle that is important for towing 5ers is the rear axle. If the hitch pin weight and all of the “stuff” loaded in the bed will cause you to go over the GAWR then look at a dually.

Do not rely on personal opinions. Weight ratings change each year and apply to the truck configuration you have, they are not all the same. It is important to get a tow vehicle that will safely handle your RV. I have seen RV wrecks due to inadequate tow vehicles where family members have been killed and/or maimed and the owner paid heavy fines and sat in prison for felony vehicular manslaughter/injury/homicide because he had an inadequate TV for the RV. The tow vehicle you tow your RV with is your responsibility.

HR

portablevcb

Tijeras, NM

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/12 06:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does anyone know what his truck's actual capacities are? Instead of guessing would be nice to know the actual numbers.

Would need to know long or short bed and 2wd vs 4wd.

For example, applying those kinds of numbers to my truck and it would not be over RAWR, FAWR. It would be over GVWR and GCWR.

2009 Dodge 2500 Double Cab Cummins
2003 Skyline Nomad 24ft Fiver
Me and Wife
Maggie the Old English Sheepdog

NC Hauler

Asheville NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/11/12 06:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

brentbullets wrote:

Total weight 20420, drove to storage unit (1 mile) parked trailer and back to scale 7580, my math tells me trailer weighed 12840

I ballparked 13,000#, (did it in my almost 62 yr old head),,, if you were only loaded to 12,840, your pin weight is probably around 2300-2400#....still believe your well over your trucks GVWR...don't know what your RAWR is though.

Jim & Kathy
2013 Dodge 3500DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin tranny/4:10/Cummins: 385HP/850TQ
06 HR Presidential Suite 37RLQ/SK3005 Satellite/Splendide XC2100/4slide/dual pane windows
2014 Jeep Compass Ltd 4X4
Boxers;Buddy& Sheba II
USAF 71-75 Nam Vet

brentbullets

Nebraska

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/12 07:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Short bed, 4 wheel drive, not sure of axle/gear ratio.

I do know it pulled real well through hilly terrain average speed of 65mph and computer said 10.9 miles per gallon

NC Hauler

Asheville NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/11/12 07:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

portablevcb wrote:

Does anyone know what his truck's actual capacities are? Instead of guessing would be nice to know the actual numbers.

Would need to know long or short bed and 2wd vs 4wd.

For example, applying those kinds of numbers to my truck and it would not be over RAWR, FAWR. It would be over GVWR and GCWR.

Was no guess...GVWR of his truck is 9200#.....total weight his truck can weigh loaded...his rear axle weight was over 9800#..

GVWR will normally be exceeded before GCWR ...again, I did "guess" on his GCWR...I owned an 03 2500 some years back, but don't remember the GCWR

NC Hauler

Asheville NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/11/12 07:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

brentbullets wrote:

Short bed, 4 wheel drive, not sure of axle/gear ratio.

I do know it pulled real well through hilly terrain average speed of 65mph and computer said 10.9 miles per gallon

With the D/A you only get it in a 3:73 rear end. I'd watch speed, most ST tires shouldn't exceed 65 mph.

It should tow it well, the D/A combo is great...it's the trucks suspension, a 3/4 ton truck that might be suspect.....GVWR of 9200# isn't a lot for a 5er with a GVW of over 15,000#..

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/12 07:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your numbers show the trucks front axle is at 4180 lbs which is well under axle/tire ratings.

Your trucks rear axle has a 6084 RAWR. Your 5640 lbs is under the rear axle rating.

Your under the trucks axle/tire ratings however when you load the 5er it may gain another 1000-1800 lbs depending on how much you load the trailer, it could be more for a full timer.
Much of the weight your going to be adding will be in the front of the trailer which will add more weight on the trucks rear axle. Most likely after loading up, the truck will be over the 6084 rear axle/tire capacities. I would sure weigh the combo after loading it up. By the way you did a good job on the weights from the scales.

Some folks mod the truck. You can add heavier tires/wheels and air bags or Supersprings or other aftermarket spring systems which will give your 2500 truck the same load carrying ability as the 3500 SRW truck. Check over in the TC (truck camper) forum for those type rear suspension mods.

Or spend more money for a 3500 SRW or a DRW. Your call there.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

NuttyTexans

Livingston, Tx

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/12 07:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe you have too much trailer for that truck. When you get finished loading stuff in it you will be close to 15000 lbs. Yes it will pull it and even stop it in most cases, but you are over loading several major components. I was in the exact same situation and finally realized I was a safety hazard to both my family and others on the road so I ended up with a new F350 DRW. Travel safe

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/12 07:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

brentbullets wrote:

Total weight 20420, drove to storage unit (1 mile) parked trailer and back to scale 7580, my math tells me trailer weighed 12840

Yep. That is the way I figure it. Sounds about right for that trailer if you do not have it loaded too heavy.

brentbullets

Nebraska

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/12 07:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As far as additional weight the trailer was loaded as we spent the night at RV dealers to check every thing out. I had the wife bring everything that we were to put in trailer, granted we will add more, however the box of pickup was full, this before having hitch installed and back seat loaded also.

I will be parking trailer about 1 hour north of me on Missouri River bluff for the summer and will take things up as needed.

I know that I am close on some of the weights but it won't get pulled with maybe only a couple of hundred pounds more in it and that is a maybe.

All kitchen and bedding supplies are in it as well as some extras, we have tent camped for over 30 years and didn't really rough it then, but we didn't have a kitchen sink.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> New 5'er weight ?'s
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS