|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> my missing RV

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
johntichy

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/12 12:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need to find Tamara (or whatever her name is). This should take you to the motorhome. It sounds like the motorhome is still in your name, (and the credit unions as well). If you find the motorhome you can get a Deputy to go will you and take possession. Providing it is titled in your name. Is there any kind of written agreement between you an Tamara? If not, you have the right to take it. I just did a similar thing (found it) in which there was a despute over an aircraft. One party had the airplane but I took the rightful owner by the hand to the Borward County Sheriff's Department, got a Deputy and simplely told it right out from under the guys nose. It can be done. But it's not cheap.

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/12 12:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

johntichy wrote:

You need to find Tamara (or whatever her name is). This should take you to the motorhome. It sounds like the motorhome is still in your name, (and the credit unions as well). If you find the motorhome you can get a Deputy to go will you and take possession. Providing it is titled in your name. Is there any kind of written agreement between you an Tamara? If not, you have the right to take it. I just did a similar thing (found it) in which there was a despute over an aircraft. One party had the airplane but I took the rightful owner by the hand to the Borward County Sheriff's Department, got a Deputy and simplely told it right out from under the guys nose. It can be done. But it's not cheap.
And California law concerning this may be different than Florida law. Remember, when it comes to law, we are sometimes 50 different countries.

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

Jim@HiTek

Gresham, OR, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/12 01:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had something similar happen to me with a van I bought for someone who soon stopped paying the agreed monthly amount. I had kept the spare key. My son spotted it after a couple months, jumped in it and drove off. Lawyer said that was fine.

So I disagree, it can be cheap to recover it. At least in Oregon.

Perhaps she's down near the Mexican border. I'll be staying near the border at several RV parks, and around the SW soon as I drift up to Idaho so I'll keep my eyes open.

BTW, how old is Tamara and do you know what her plans were with the RV? Any chance she's into drugs? Or just looking for road adventures and a vacation? Kind of person who travels a lot or someone who settles in somewhere for a while?

Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Fleetwood Bounder, '94
Cummins Diesel, 190HP, 36.5' with 50HP LP boost.
Black Rock Lava Park, Nevada

acowgirl

onyx, ca usa

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/12 01:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all, thanks for all the great responses.
So this morning I gave H.P. Sears the collection agency for the credit union $7,800. So they are off my back. I'm glad I had my credit cards paid off. So the entity who know owns the coach is an insurance company in Texas that is looking for the RV. When and if they give up I will owe them the full amount they paid for it. So very much the RV needs to be found still.
I certainly considered bankruptcy but as of yet did not know the name of the insurance company and the collection agency was about to sic their attorneys on me because of the large sum. What a mess!
That's it for today.
I do need to consider that civil court idea.
Renee

Effy

MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/12 01:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Finding the woman may prove difficult. You could hire a P.I. depending if one is reputable in your area. If the unit is older and the insurance co has less stake in it, they may not expend much effort as ultimately they still have someone on the hook - you. Not sure what an investigator would cost, but if you found her well I guess it would be worth it. As long as you are still at least somewhat liable, you can assume no one wants to find her or the RV more than you. There are people for hire that "handle" these sorts of things. Once you find her, then it's a matter of which avenue to bring the matter to close, whether it's a repo, civil, etc etc. But you have to find her or the RV first. Given the little details here you would do yourself a favor and provide a full description of her and the unit on this forum. Height, weight, DOB, name, address, description and the vehicle year make model, color and vin. This would make a cool TV show.

2013 ACE 29.2

Effy

MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/12 02:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This all seems very cryptic. Something does not "feel" right about all this. And to the administrator - why if you are going to leave this thread up where people might actually be able to help, do you delete the pertinent information that would allow anyone to do so? If you replace all the necessary bits of infor with xxxx's then obviously you feel it's not appropriate to handle here so just delete the thread. Otherwise, leave the valuable info alone and perhaps leverage the large amounts of people here and maybe someone can help. Without it, it's no more than a sympathy thread.

demoon

MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/12 02:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The part I do not understand is the insurance company that paid the credit union. I worked for an insurance company and I have never heard of coverage that provides that kind of protection. That is why lenders require the buyer to provide coverage. I also do not understand what the OP just paid $7800 for. It looks like she just got double scammed. I think the only solid advice that has been given here is - get a lawyer. If you cannot afford one call the local bar association and they will provide you names for legal aid assistance. This situation is just going to get worse without legal advice. By the way. I am not a huge fan of lawyers, but sometimes you have to bite the bullet.

Effy

MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/12 02:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

demoon wrote:

The part I do not understand is the insurance company that paid the credit union. I worked for an insurance company and I have never heard of coverage that provides that kind of protection. That is why lenders require the buyer to provide coverage. I also do not understand what the OP just paid $7800 for. It looks like she just got double scammed. I think the only solid advice that has been given here is - get a lawyer. If you cannot afford one call the local bar association and they will provide you names for legal aid assistance. This situation is just going to get worse without legal advice. By the way. I am not a huge fan of lawyers, but sometimes you have to bite the bullet.

Right, and if there is replacement insurance (we have that) and it's a justifiable claim, they pay off the unit, or the amount of the policy and it's a done deal - move on. That's what you pay premiums for. Any left over I am sure that you could pay the remainder with payments. As stated in the original post, lack of ability to pay for the unit forced the OP to sub let it. But then has $7800 to pay off the collection agency at the threat of lawyers - that would go a long way with your own lawyer. However, since it was not technically stolen, I am unsure why the insurance would pay any claim at all. Technically it's theft by deception but without a formal investigation and/or judgment I am not sure an insurance co would pay. I think the bottom line here is there are too few details and too many gaps in this thread. Starting to wonder if we aren't being scammed.

MPond

Thousand Oaks, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/12 06:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Effy wrote:

...Starting to wonder if we aren't being scammed.

Scammed to what end? What would the OP have to gain by scamming us?

2003 Country Coach Intrigue, Cummins ISL 400
Toad: 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) toad, with just a few mods...

Other rig: 2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually / Next Level 38CK Fifth-wheel Toy Hauler w/ quads, sand rail, etc...

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/12 06:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Effy wrote:

This all seems very cryptic. Something does not "feel" right about all this. And to the administrator - why if you are going to leave this thread up where people might actually be able to help, do you delete the pertinent information that would allow anyone to do so? If you replace all the necessary bits of infor with xxxx's then obviously you feel it's not appropriate to handle here so just delete the thread. Otherwise, leave the valuable info alone and perhaps leverage the large amounts of people here and maybe someone can help. Without it, it's no more than a sympathy thread.

I have to agree with the admin to remove that information. IMHO, since we have no way of knowing the COMPLETE story here, we may be at risk should someone actually FIND the RV and take some sort of action against the person in it. Without any substantiated FACTS in this case, IF the RV is located, it should be reported to the authorities as a vehicle of interest to the OP, nothing more.....Dennis

MY SENSE OF HUMOR IS THE MAIN REASON I'LL MOST LIKELY GO TO HELL !
Dennis and Debi Fifth Year Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> my missing RV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes