RV.Net Open Roads Forum: New Good Sam Cards have no exp date?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Good Sam Club

Open Roads Forum  >  Good Sam Club

> New Good Sam Cards have no exp date?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
BigRigRVing

formerly CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/12 04:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From campground owners point of view why do the new GS membership cards not have expiration dates any longer? I understand it will save money for GS, but to make campgrounds check dates, or they should be check dates. Why put that off on the campground staff? I understand if they have new card this year it is valid, what about going forward?

Gary & Cheryl and our chocolate lab named Caddy
2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 4304 w/ Blue-Ox Sports Lift
2006 Jeep Rubicon
HD 2006 Softtail Deluxe
www.BigRigRVing.com

SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/12 05:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yup.
Good Sam is going to make us check validity starting in 2013. They figure to save themselves 1M a year, in not mailing new cards.
You can guess that check in will take longer as our staff takes time to call or use the computer, which will mean they are just passing the costs to us.
We asked them to do this AAAs way, by sending a sticker for the new year .
Their argument that Presidents Club members will now be Good Sam , which increases GS membership to 1.3M will bring more to our door is possible, but we are not convinced, as those .5M Pres. Club members are probably those who use commercial parks rarely if at all.
Max

PackerBacker

Montreal (Qc) Adirondacks (NY) Myrtle Beach (SC)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/12 06:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ka Ron wrote:

As an RV'er and member of no club at the moment, I would be concerned as a campground owner. If enough campgrounds and RV Parks are unsatisfied with Good Sam and drop the association, the RV'er is left with fewer choices.

Rates are an issue for all and that includes the RV Parks and Campgrounds. Their costs go up on a regular basis and they pass that on to us RV'ers. Now one thing is for sure....we are a cheap lot. We can stay anywhere we want and a lot of us have self contained rigs. If the costs for a stay in a park get too high we have choices.

It is not always a good idea to pass costs on to your campgrounds.

Just my opinion as an RV'er

I agree 100%. More and more there are fewer benefits and greater cost to campgrounds and ultimately it is we, the campers, that pick up the costs through camp fees. If Good Sam or any other endorcing promoter cannot function financially without being on the backs of the campgrounds, then they should step away.

When I pay to be a GS member, I do not want to bear additional cost of staying at a GS recommended campground.

Eric
2014 Enterra 314RES (Cruiser RV) TT, Equal-i-zer 12K, Honda 2000 Genny
2014 Ram 1500 Quad Short Bed, 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed auto, 4x4, Line-X
FQCC/Camping Quebec, KOA, Good Sam

mlemonis

lincolnshire, IL

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/12 05:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know that a number of you are concerned about this. This was my decision. IN an effort to merge the clubs, and lower the price we took a big hit. That hit financially is my responsibility. We need to add much more value and make it more affordable. I had to find small places to make up some of that. This represents just a fraction. I would ask for your consideration and patience. Please know that I am sympathetic to this and need your help.

The members just cant continue to be charged more and more, in fact I felt strongly about lowering the combined dues. At this point, I think the members are getting happier. IT is our job together to provide them with a great experience and great value. If we do that they will at least give us a chance to earn their business. In todays day and age, people have choices. We got into a mode that seemed like entitlement. People, including us just wont stand for that. Its interesting but although I know we technically and legally own the club, I feel like I have 1.4 million shareholders who will ultimately vote and determine our fate with their pocketbook. All of them understand that this is a business but we have to earn it. Whether it is the club, cw, roadside, warranty, campgrounds, magazines, we must earn this day after day after day. No one can be unsatisfied.

Marcus Lemonis
Chairman and CEO FreedomRoads, Camping World and RVs.com

Ka Ron

Kelowna

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/12 05:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As an RV'er and member of no club at the moment, I would be concerned as a campground owner. If enough campgrounds and RV Parks are unsatisfied with Good Sam and drop the association, the RV'er is left with fewer choices.

Rates are an issue for all and that includes the RV Parks and Campgrounds. Their costs go up on a regular basis and they pass that on to us RV'ers. Now one thing is for sure....we are a cheap lot. We can stay anywhere we want and a lot of us have self contained rigs. If the costs for a stay in a park get too high we have choices.

It is not always a good idea to pass costs on to your campgrounds.

Just my opinion as an RV'er

Join Us For A Trip Down The RV Highway

SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/12 06:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mr. Lemonis,
Thank you for your explanation. PM or call please, you have my # .
Max

We require presentation of a valid card at check in to qualify for discount, per club rules. In a later post (2-3down) you will see that there are instances in which some could take advantage of the coop-erative camp, and of your endeavours.
Again, Max, Pres. SDCOA

* This post was edited 03/14/12 07:42pm by an administrator/moderator *

michael8rc

Here

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/12 07:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last summer we got Good Sam discounts at several camp grounds and never had to show a card. We were asked if we were members and we said "yes" and got a discount.

1998 Dodge Club Cab 4x4
2010 Wildwood 292FKDS

wbwood

Mooresville/Troutman, NC area

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/12 01:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think over time there will be some changes to the whole process as there will be new and better ways discovered of handling these type of things. While it might take an extra couple minutes to verify a persons membership status while they are there, do you wait for them to get there to verify the status if they have made reservations prior to this? I would think that the campground owner could do a check once the reservations are made and before the camper gets there. Ask the camper if they are a GS member and if so, then ask for their membership number.

I don't see how it is costing the campgrounds anymore to verify via computer or phone. If you are referring to the time an employee takes to do this, I don't think that is accurate. Are you paying them only for the time they are actually moving and doing something or by the hour?

How many GS members a day do you get that are requesting the discount with their card? It can not be that significant. I don't think i've used it once. Well maybe once, but I can not remember. I've used my KOA card more so.

Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

RVnRobin

Can't remember being a

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/12 05:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is it possible that Good Sam is in the process of rolling out their own reservation/registration computer system? That would allow them to instantly check for valid cards and current membership dues. Much like KOA uses. If you don't make your annual payment... no discount. And, the cost of that computer system, and the fees charged to campground owners would generate another revenue stream for Mr. Lemonis. Just asking...

So much to experience, so little time.

anaro

Mebane, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/12 09:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are looking to cut costs, what about cutting the junk mail to the customers? That is a huge gripe of many people on these boards.

2014 Silverado 3500 Duramax, SRW, Crew Cab, 4WD
2014 Palomino Sabre 34REQS
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BL - sold after 3 1/2 yrs and 76 nights camped in it!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Good Sam Club

> New Good Sam Cards have no exp date?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Good Sam Club

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS