|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Could use help deciding on small TT

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
SoFlaNewbie

Boca Raton, FL

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/12 05:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks again for all the input. At the risk of extending this topic ... I've done a bit more investigation about the A/Cs on the small TTs I've been considering, and I have another question. It may be a naive one, but I gotta ask.

I noticed, for example, that one of the CampLite models has a 8,000 BTU through-wall air conditioner. The T@B has a Cool Cat A/C with heat pump. I don't understand what that means to me. Can the CampLite 8,000 BTU be operated by plugging into a 120V outlet at a campsite, or does it need a generator? Same question for the Cool Cat A/C. And if they can both operate on a 120V outlet, is it known within the RV.NET forum that one type (through-wall vs. Cool Cat) works better than the other? In other words, can it handle a Florida summer night and keep me from sweating while sleeping? I'm still scarred from living in an un-air-conditioned apartment in Tallahassee, FL during the summer.

Greg Bunting

Port St. Lucie, FL

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/12 06:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do not know what the Cool Camp is, but the typical wall shaker 8000 Btu unit should do a fine job with a small modern trailer. RV roof mount units seem to be rated higher but I have found 8000 to cool 128 sqft just fine in Port St. Lucie. I think they are more efficient.

For the amount of heat needed, do not recommend the 'reverse - cycle' units due to cost and complexity. Get a small electric heater - it's all you will need in FLA.

Greg

swtgran

Brimfield, Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/12 06:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I second the Casita thought. It has a 6'3" ceiling height. Since it is molded fiberglass, it has less rust or hail problems.

The bed width on the Spirit Deluxe model is the same as a true full. Being taller, there the option of the Liberty model that gives you a true King or the option of long twins, or even a queen.

As for the AC, if you want cool, it is small enough that in minutes you can put on a jacket.

Swtgran
2007 Casita 17ft SD
2005 Toyota Tundra

cpaharley2008

york,pa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/12 06:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just got a new Lance 1575, sold my Egg Camper last year, a bit too small. But the Lance has a slide out, tankless water heater with unlimited hot water, heated water tank for winter use and thermopane windows all for less than 2700#.
Lance also has a smaller one available, the 1274- here is their web site
http://www.lancecamper.com/
The Lance also comes with the Polar Cub 9000 btu a/c which a 2000 watt generator will run.
The CoolCat heat pump needs a 3000 watt generate, I had a T@b with the CoolCat- very loud and cold in such a small space, way overkill you have it run for 5 minutes then off then on then off.
Anyway you have a lot too look at, go with your heart.

* This post was edited 03/15/12 06:48pm by cpaharley2008 *

2009 Dodge Ram Hemi 4x4 11,300miles- lifetime warranty
2012 Toyota FJ-500 miles
2014 Escape 21' All Season trailer

bakerkids

IL

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/12 06:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The T@B's Cool Cat has a heat pump that will heat if temps don't drop below 40. Lower than 40, we switch to the furnance or a ceramic heater. You don't need a generator to run the AC units. If your camper is plugged into the post at the campground, that's all you need. If you're planning to boondock, that's a different matter.

The T@B's AC will do fine in FL. I can put you in contact with people in FL who own a T@B, if you're interested. We're in southern IL. Our summer temps are in the upper 90s and some around 100. We have high humidity. Our Cool Cat does not run constantly and has abolustely no problem cooling the trailer. T@Bs also come with reflect shades that help considerably.

I don't think you'll have a problem cooling any of the small trailers.

Me '62, DH '59, DS '89, DD '90, DD '92
4 K9s
Our photos

Pat in Speedway

Speedway, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/12 12:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From the units you've mentinoed, I'd first take a look at the Camp Lite. They aren't the cheapest unit (price-wise) you'll find, but construction-wise, they're worth every penny. One bonus they have is that they're wood-free. Everything is built from aluminum (including the floor) and the walls are a composite called Azdell. They had a skeleton unit at the RVIA trade show last year to show off the aluminum frame:

Interior cabinetry is solid as well. After spending the day at the RVIA show last year and looking at every small trailer every manufactruer brought, the Camp Lite was better than most and the quality wasn't beat by anyone, including Airstream. Interior head room on all their units is 6'4", so you should be good there too. Good luck with your choice. Deciding on what to buy can be maddening, but it's still fun!

SoFlaNewbie wrote:

I'm new to the RVNET forums, but hopefully I'll become a long-time participant. I've never owned a travel trailer, but I'm seriously considering one. I live in south Florida, and I've enjoyed tent camping in the great "north" of central and north florida. However, I don't like tent camping in hot weather, so I'm thinking that a travel trailer will let me get away for long weekends all times of year - including our hot/humid summers.

Let me list my priorities in a travel trailer, and hopefully that will give all you folks with more experience some idea of what kind of trailer might fit my needs.

1. I want it to be relatively small, because I want to be able to relatively easily drag it around. My limited research has lead me to small TTs or teardrops like a CampLite, Casita, or T@B. Assume that I will have something like a 6-cylinder Tacoma for a tow vehicle. Right now I have a 2002 Tundra, but who knows for how long. But overall, I think the lighter - the better.
2.I would like it to have the best AC possible - since I'd like to use it in the Florida summer. I guess all A/Cs use electric, right? So, I guess I'll be confined to those campsites with electric - or get a generator?
3. Related to #2, I'd like it to have good insulation. Both for cooling purposes and to keep out the noise.
4. Since I live and will be keeping the trailer about 1/2 mile from the ocean - I'd like it to be as "rust-resistant" as possible.
5. Being recently divorced, I might be traveling alone for a while but hopefully there will eventually be two of us. Maybe a small pet (dog/cat) in the picture?
6. I am tall (~6'3"), but I really don't think that I need to stand up straight. I've always liked cave-like environments and am kinda used to cocking my head a bit. Maybe I'm wrong.

Given those priorities, do ya'll have any suggestions on what type of small TTs or teardrops might be my best fit?

Thanks in advance for any insight you might be able to provide.

Pat B.
Speedway, IN
2010 Serro Scotty HiLander
http://smalltrailerenthusiast.com

sandersmr

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/12 12:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Late to the party but I have a KZ Sportsmen Classic 16BH. We took the top bunk out to make the bottom bunk more usable for adults. When I'm solo, I don't have to worry about making up the dinette bed. When 6'6" DBF is with me, we usually leave the dinette bed made up in the bed configuration and eat outside mostly.

Yeah, he tends to get a crick in his neck standing up in the trailer

Our trailer came with a 5K BTU wall mount but that didn't really hold up to the TX summer days. We put a 6.5K BTU LG unit in to replace the 5K. We didn't go any higher because of the extensive mods we would have had to do due to the larger size.

And KZ has evidently learned as well because they now have options for 8K BTU units and I think their "standard" unit is 6K.

Oh and when DBF goes, we also have 200 pounds of dog (2 labs) that go along - can you say no floor space? Again most of our camping is done outside with the trailer for sleeping, toilet needs and storage with some cooking in the microwave or on the stovetop when it's raining and we can't cook outside.

Maggie

Sportsmen Classic 16BH
2002 F150 Supercrew 4.6 L V8

Shadow Catcher

NW Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/12 03:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a large 6X10 teardrop Queen size bed and I adapted a 5000 BTU AC to run through 4" hoses through the side. You might want to check out the Teardrop & Tiny Travel Trailer Forum for information.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Could use help deciding on small TT
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS