|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> Extra water heater insulation

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
shutdown

In The Dog House

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/12 11:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great idea. My WH is in a dummy cabinet under my fridge. I already have a part of a roll of pink insulation. Does anyone see any reason i can't stuff that in there?

recycler

michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/12 07:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

shutdown wrote:

Great idea. My WH is in a dummy cabinet under my fridge. I already have a part of a roll of pink insulation. Does anyone see any reason i can't stuff that in there?

other than it is itchy stuff to work with don't see why not home water heaters are wrapped in it

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/12 01:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

I was considering insulating the water heater too, but more heat is lost due to the burner area taking in cold outside air, heating it to within a few degrees of the water temperature, and expelling out that air out the top of the water heater.

One of the solar guys turned on his water heater and it used about 200 watts per hour to keep the water at 140F up in Canada. Don't know what the outside air temp is, but that is about 600 Btu's per hour loss to the outside air. Probably only about 50 Btu's is lost past the insulation into the interior of the RV, and that heat is actually a gain in the winter time, so no need to run the furnace as much. You probably cut that heat gain to only about 25 Btu/h with all the extra insulation. I probably would have used Reflex, less smoke if it ever caught fire, and will not spread flame once the propane is off.

I normally leave my water heater off once I am done with my shower, unless I am doing dishes, so I will not lose much heat each day. When done with my shower, the heater is only about 110 F anyway. This will drop down to about 80F by the time 24 hours has gone by, especially if cold at night, might reach 65F.

Fred.

bondebond

Searcy, AR

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/12 11:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sure, but wrap it around the water heater as much as possible. My goal was to trap as much heat in the water heater, not just keep it in the storage area. YMMV.

This space left intentionally.

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia and mods...one of the tallest highwall pop-ups on the planet after flipping the axle.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> Extra water heater insulation
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS