|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Inverter Install

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
daamac

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/12 06:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm planning to install a Go Power GP-SW300 inverter and want to check my understanding.

I plan to install the inverter near my battery bank using #10 wire, fused with a 40 amp fuse, and wired through my battery disconnect switch. I plan to run 14-2 with ground romex from the inverter to a dedicated outlet near my TV. I'll use a short whip to plug into the inverter, and connect the whip to the romex in a box. I'll install a remote switch for the inverter near the dedicated outlet.

1) Since there is no connection from the AC output from my inverter to anything but the one dedicated outlet, there is no need for any sort of transfer switch. Right?

2) Can each outlet of the GP-SW300 supply the full output of the inverter (obviously not both at the same time). Yes?

There's lots of advice and information in forums...
sometimes it is correct.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab; Duramax/Allison; Pullrite 14k Superglide Hitch

garym114

Bluff Dale, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/12 08:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like you have a good plan.
No transfer switch required. Even though the manual for the SW300 doesn't come out and say either plug can deliver full AC output that should be the case. The two plugs are probably for convenience and go back in the box to one output wire.

2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

daamac

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/12 12:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK. Thanks to all for replying.

smkettner

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/12 08:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good to go, no transfer switch. And yes you get full power from either outlet.

I did end up swapping the wire to #8 to match the #8 of the fuse holder on my GP300.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675 watts solar
Send a PM if I missed something

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/12 08:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just don't like that #10 there, would prefer #6, but it does depend on length.

2003 Chev 2500HD Gas, 2003 Komfort 26FS 5er
See Profile for Equipment List

mena661

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/12 08:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the same inverter.
1. Right!
2. Yes.

2009 Newmar Canyon Star 3205, Ford F53 V10
Trojan L16 6V's 740 Amp-hours

smkettner

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/12 10:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1rosario,

Yes you want the 12v version unless you have a very rare bus conversion RV that actually uses a 24v system.

Yes virtually all RVs are designed to charge the house battery while driving. Although it can take 2 to 8+ hours for a full charge depending how low the battery is.

You need a transfer switch if you want to integrate the inverter into the existing wiring and power the existing outlet. Switch usually goes close to the inverter or power panel for ease of connecting. GoPower has a provision for a remote power on switch for ease of use if it is installed behind some cabinet.

I power my tv, dvd, laptop and charge small items with a Go Power 300w sine wave inverter.

I mounted the inverter hidden behind the fuse-breaker panel. 12v connects to the main battery feed to the panel. 120v is wired into the entertainment area circuit with an automatic transfer switch. The wiring is very straight forward if you have done any home wiring before. The Go Power 300w has a provision for a remote power switch so with the touch of a button I have instant power.

GP 300w SW $160

Xantrex 15 amp switch $49

So all in maybe $250-$300 for self install.

Morningstar also makes a good 300w inverter.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/12 01:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

daamac wrote:

1) Since there is no connection from the AC output from my inverter to anything but the one dedicated outlet, there is no need for any sort of transfer switch. Right?

2) Can each outlet of the GP-SW300 supply the full output of the inverter (obviously not both at the same time). Yes?

Short answers, not the shortest but only one letter longer, same answer to both questions; YES.

In fact the concept of a dedicated outlet powered ONLY by the inverter (I like to use red or orange outlets for this) is what I call a "Poor Man's Transfer Switch" (You switch by transferring the plug)

And the outlets on the SW-300 can handle considerably more than 300 watts, but as you surrmised the max output is 300 watts COMBINED.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

1rosario

Phoenix, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/12 10:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello.

Total newbie and ignorant on this, but trying to get DH to install an inverter, to skip running the generator while driving for kids to watch TV.

ok, this GP-SW300, you speak of, do I only need the 12v? I see there's a 24V also.

Like OP, I only want to run the TV and Directv Box, while boondocking, probably only TV while driving - Vizio 26" LED w/ Wifi Apps.

Also, can I assume, coach (class A) will charge batteries while driving?
DH, probably already knows this - he's an electrician, but for my own educational purposes; we need a switch near the TV outlet to switch between, generator/land power use and inverter use? is that what that switch is for? (I did say I was ignorant on this)

Thanks in advance for the lesson.

mena661

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/12 04:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

I just don't like that #10 there, would prefer #6, but it does depend on length.
That inverter comes with four feet of #10 which is ok (I think) but I use #6.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Inverter Install
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS