|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> Weighing the Rig

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
d-mac1

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/12 11:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Going to get my truck and fiver weighed. I figured they would, with the trailer hooked up, weigh each axle as I pulled through (to include the entire rig) and then I'd go disconnect and weigh the truck by itself (I'd think sequence would be front, both, then rear only). Via this tact, I could determine tongue weight as difference in the weight on my truck's rear axle in the 2 passes.

One scale will do it that way, another (easier to get to) is saying they will weigh each axle as I pull on, and then the entire rig, but instead of me pulling the truck back on empty, they would have me pull the truck off the scale (so only thing on scale is trailer axles) and get the weight and then have me disconnect trailer and put it on landing gear and get the weight. Idea being the difference between with truck off scale but connected and then disconnected on landing gear is tongue weight.

It seems like this will work, but thought I'd check and see what you guys think. Will one approach give me something the other won't? No scale I've called can do left/right.

Thanks.

Still a struggling sophomore at the School of Hard Knocks.

2009 Ram 2500 CTD
2012 XLR 300X10
2006 KTM 450 EXC

mapguy

Puget Sound

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/12 11:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Weight truck seperately. Weights are more accurate. This PDF is a great tool to get all weights. Very important to get side to side on trailer too -if you have slide outs.

Bridgestone RV Weight PDF

One of the limitations of truck stop scales (CAT) is the inability to do right/left on trailer.

Closed/inactive highway scales almost always have the weight platform active so you can read the weight through a window. Use a closed Highway Scale to do the right left. You will probaly only be able to get the right side weighted -then use math to determine left.

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/12 03:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check around to see if any of the tire shops have portable scales. This way you pull the rig on one axle at a time and you get combined weights as well as individual weights on each tire. More time consuming but gives you a truer weight and allows you to adjust your air pressure accordingly.

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/12 12:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

I went to a CAT Scale.....it had three weigh platforms.
Truck front axle on front scale
Truck rear axle and king pin on middle one
Trailer axles on rear scale

Then I unhitched and had truck reweighed.
Front axle on one scale
Rear axle on middle scale

Difference between truck front & rear axle hitched and unhitched was pin weight.
(My front axle has a difference of 150# when hitched/unhitched)

This gave me truck front & rear axle weights hitched & unhitched
Trailer axles weight and the pin weight (Pin weight + trailer axles weight=total trailer weight)

That's how I did mine, the only difference is that I weighed the truck first. Worked fine for me.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/12 12:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went to a CAT Scale.....it had three weigh platforms.
Truck front axle on front scale
Truck rear axle and king pin on middle one
Trailer axles on rear scale

Then I unhitched and had truck reweighed.
Front axle on one scale
Rear axle on middle scale

Difference between truck front & rear axle hitched and unhitched was pin weight.
(My front axle has a difference of 150# when hitched/unhitched)

This gave me truck front & rear axle weights hitched & unhitched
Trailer axles weight and the pin weight (Pin weight + trailer axles weight=total trailer weight)

Then I use those figures and compare them to:
Truck front & rear axle ratings (FAWR & RAWR)
Truck weight rating (GVWR)
Trailer weight rating (GVWR)
And combined weight rating (GCWR)

d-mac1

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/12 02:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So glad I asked! Thanks for all the info guys!! Great idea on how to get side-side weight. I'll hafta look for a weigh station and try to figure out when they're open...or more importantly...closed and get the right side weight. My fiver does have slides...both on left. Never thought of that impacting weight...but kitchen is on right along with side doors, awning and TVs. Hmmm...that doesn't seem to be enough to even it out.

TMBLSN

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/12 04:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The state weigh stations in WA are left on when 'closed'. You just pull in, look in the window, and you can see the weight reading.

Check out your local weigh station, when it is 'closed' and see if they leave it on.

mpierce

Scranton, ND

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/12 08:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If near a small town, you could checkout an elevator or feed store too. They usually have scales, and usually can do ldft/right.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> Weighing the Rig
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS