|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> 4 down Honda Odyssey 2006

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Oresko

Washburn WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/12 12:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just purchased towing materials to tow my 2006 Odyssey.
Looked at many posts about dangers and feel it is ok to tow.
Everyone mentions procedure for towing. All I see is Start vehicle put in drive then neutral and shut vehicle off. Is that it?
Then drive 4-6 hours and repeat.
Help???

fcooper

Richmond Hill, Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/12 06:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think Honda ever published a shift sequence for towing a Honda Odyssey newer than 2004. If you assume that the 2006 needs the same sequence, then here's what you would do. This is the procedure I use on my 2000 Odyssey.

Crank engine in park, shift to reverse, shift to neutral, slowly shift down through the gears 4,3,2,1 (or 5,4,3,2,1..whatever you have), then slowly shift up through the gears to neutral. Allow the engine to run for 3 minutes in neutral. Shut down by turning the key to accessory so the steering wheel can turn. Now you're ready to tow. DO NOT SHIFT FROM REVERSE TO NEUTRAL and then tow. This will kill the older (up to 2004) honda transmissions, and will probably kill yours also.

My 2000 Odyssey has a 65 mpg speed limit when towing. I've briefly exceeded that when passing, but normally cruise at 64 or 65.

On my 2000, towing increases the frequency of recommended transmission fluid changes. Since the fluid change really only changes about 1/3 of the fluid, I do the fluid change at every oil change.

If you have a chipped key that is required for cranking the 2006 Honda, you can use an unchipped key to crank by holding the chipped key against the unchipped key to get it to crank. Then when you shut down, you're leaving an unchipped key in the switch. If someone tries to steal your toad, they will not be able to get it to crank.

Fred

Fred & Vicki
Richmond Hill, Ga
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor/Freightliner/330 Cat
2000 Honda Odyssey toad w SMI Silent Partner braking system
TST507 TPMS

Dale.Traveling

Newport News, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/12 06:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do the exact same thing with my 98 Accord including using a non-chipped key. My owners manual had the procedures for getting the transmission into a true netural.

2006 Hurricane 31D aka 'Moby' the Whale
FCC(SW) US Navy Retired 1980-2003
Stella my Navigator
Bogart the All American RV Dog
and
Cocoui waiting for me at the Rainbow Bridge

Oresko

Washburn WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/12 07:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for the excellent answer. More info than I had before. I only have a 4 speed so appears to be a simpler version.

howdy35

Athens, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/12 07:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have towed a 2001 Odyssey since 03 and have (knock on wood) never had a problem with towing. I agree with the posts on the prep procedure and would add that I always make sure the engine temp comes up to normal before I shift through the gears. My procedure is start, warm up engine, then shift to lowest gear and allow about 30 seconds in each gear as I shift eventually back up to D4 , then into neutral. Again in neutral 30 seconds and turn it off. Make sure to turn off everything inside. I then go thru the same procedure each time I stop for longer than 20 minutes or so.( Fuel, lunch, etc.) I now have 175,000 on my Odyssey and have had very good service from the car.

1999 National Tradewinds
2001 Honda Odyssey--Toad
Fulltime Wanabee

bobfinch

Ma

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/12 08:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We towed our 05 Oddy for 15K miles with no problems, Start, park-rev-N-3-2-1 back to N shut it down and tow it. Make sure to turn off everything in the car, we left the rear HVAC fan on and had a dead battery after 6 hours on the road. I also towed at 75-80 mph at times with no problems, usually hold around 68-69 mph.
Not sure if the 06 is the same tranny?

Oresko

Washburn WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/18/12 03:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe 05 and 06 have same tranny.

fcooper

Richmond Hill, Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/12 05:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

howdy35 wrote:

I have towed a 2001 Odyssey since 03 and have (knock on wood) never had a problem with towing. ....text deleted....I now have 175,000 on my Odyssey and have had very good service from the car.

Wow...is this on the original transmission? My 2000 has 125,000 and I keep waiting for the tranny to fail because many of this vintage failed at 70 to 80 thousand miles. I would love to get 175,000 out of my current transmission.

Fred

DanTheRVMan

fl

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/12 05:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fcooper wrote:

I don't think Honda ever published a shift sequence for towing a Honda Odyssey newer than 2004. If you assume that the 2006 needs the same sequence, then here's what you would do. This is the procedure I use on my 2000 Odyssey.

Crank engine in park, shift to reverse, shift to neutral, slowly shift down through the gears 4,3,2,1 (or 5,4,3,2,1..whatever you have), then slowly shift up through the gears to neutral. Allow the engine to run for 3 minutes in neutral. Shut down by turning the key to accessory so the steering wheel can turn. Now you're ready to tow. DO NOT SHIFT FROM REVERSE TO NEUTRAL and then tow. This will kill the older (up to 2004) honda transmissions, and will probably kill yours also.

My 2000 Odyssey has a 65 mpg speed limit when towing. I've briefly exceeded that when passing, but normally cruise at 64 or 65.

On my 2000, towing increases the frequency of recommended transmission fluid changes. Since the fluid change really only changes about 1/3 of the fluid, I do the fluid change at every oil change.

If you have a chipped key that is required for cranking the 2006 Honda, you can use an unchipped key to crank by holding the chipped key against the unchipped key to get it to crank. Then when you shut down, you're leaving an unchipped key in the switch. If someone tries to steal your toad, they will not be able to get it to crank.

Fred

I have never heard of the use of an unchipped key. That sounds great.

Other wise I follow your procedure with my 05 and it works fine.

Dan
Allegro Red 36ft

Rickyrocket

Coventry,RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/21/12 05:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

how about an 08 can they be towed 4 down

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes