RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Keystone Montana Plant Tour Worth Your Time!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Keystone Montana Plant Tour Worth Your Time!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
REKTDI

Columbia, Missouri

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/12 10:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I just returned from Goshen, Indiana and nearby Elkhart, and Middlebury to visit what we have understood to be considerable RV industry in the area, and it certainly did not disappoint. Robyne Hakes at Keystone Customer Service courteously arranged for the tour and Brian Weaver did an excellent job of showing us through the plant, including even an opportunity to look at our own special ordered Mountaineer 290RLT nearing the end of construction.

The Keystone grounds are home to many of their own RVs, and Goshen to those of many other familiar companies. Traveling through Goshen, Elkhart and Middlebury, all of which are within easy travel distance, can help one better view the importance of the support industy (e.g. composites, plumbing, axles, frame, designers, graphics people,etc) supplying the actual RV plants. While we had decided on what we wanted to purchase prior to our visit, touring the plant of your choice may be one way to decide which RV you might prefer. Regardless, this was an exceptionally worthwhile experience for us, and possibly a story other RV'ers might enjoy hearing.

* This post was edited 03/16/12 11:03pm by REKTDI *

dqdick

Council Grove, KS

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/12 07:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You'll find that touring the plant was important for a wide variety of reasons. When I'm attaching stuff to the rig, I know where the wiring and plumbing goes, etc. Also, if you have problems, that customer service facility there is wonderful. We had a couple issues we thought were minor and took our rig in during the fall Montana Rally. Turned out one was major and they did a great job. Also, you'll want to join the Montana forum. Great group of folks who know what to do and how to do it with your rig. Good luck and make many great memories with your new Montana!

Dick and Joyce
2010 Montana 3665RE
Dodge 2500HD Maxi Cab Laramie Edition
Diego, Norm, & Bitsy

richfaa

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/12 12:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brad..As far as I know and I am sure I am correct you can NOT pick up a Montana directly from the Factory but can arrange to purchase it through a nearby dealer. Tiria Rv is a good local dealer in Elkhart.

We (the group)tour the Montana factory every year at our Montana Owners fall where we rate prototypes and Montana seeks our input . We also tour other brand plants on a reguar basses.

2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky. 08 Ford F-350 6.4L

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/12 09:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Next time I would even consider picking up the rig direct from the factory so I could do a tour and meet a few folks that built it.

Suzanne and Brad

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/12 08:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for sharing - we'll add this to our list of things to do when we get into the area. We have a Montana & have had good interactions with their customer service and warranty department.

Happy Travels!
Suzanne & Brad

Artemus Gordon

Redding California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/12 06:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad to hear your comments. Getting ready to step up to a fiver. Montana 3750 is high on the list. Very high at this point!

richfaa

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/12 08:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If we could pick one up at the Keystone factory we would be right there.Tiria Rv is just a few miles away and you can buy and pick it up there. Our dealer is only a couple hundred mies away and the dealer picks up the units with his own trucks.Many dealers in our area do that. The transporter is responsible for the Rv he is transporting but still damage is damage.Yours had to travel a big distance and I also would be leery of the transport.

JoeWebPage

Palisade, Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/18/12 03:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've always heard that about picking up a camper from the factory. People used to do it all the time years past. We wanted to do that and our dealer told us it's an insurance issue, it has to go to a dealer as they (the factory) still own it until the dealer takes delivery.

FWIW

2012 Durango 2500 325RL, Remote jacks, 5500 Onan, TST TPMS
2004 GMC Duramax, USAF retired

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/12 08:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It might turn into a show stopper for us. I had significant issues with ours from the transport. Its of course a mystery, but 1 tire was half worn out, the bearing cap was competely missing on that wheel, yet it the wheel has to be removed to actually replace it becuase it won't fit throught the cap over the hub, and the thing had damage to the right front that was unexplained. The Dealer took care of everything at the PDI, but I always wondered what actually happened on that road trip with the transporter.

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/12 02:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Didn't know that - I thought a few folks opted to pick it up and waive the transport fee, but maybe not.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Keystone Montana Plant Tour Worth Your Time!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS