RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Redwood quality?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Redwood quality?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
kfdray

Montana

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/12 10:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crossroads is the manufacturer of the Rushmore, not the Redwood. Redwood's parent company is Thor....

Interestingly enough, one of the guys who contacted me while I was in the service shuffle was from Crossroads.

kakampers

Fulltimer

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/12 12:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kfdray wrote:

Crossroads is the manufacturer of the Rushmore, not the Redwood. Redwood's parent company is Thor....

Interestingly enough, one of the guys who contacted me while I was in the service shuffle was from Crossroads.

That is odd, as there appears to be no connection between Crossroads and Redwood
???

Found the connection...Thor owns both Crossroads and Redwood, however, the two appear to be independent of each other, Like Heartland is another independent Thor owned company...

2013 Heartland Landmark Key Largo with Mor Ryde IS and disc brakes
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW Crew Cab Duramax Diesel

larry barnhart

wenatchee. wa usa

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/12 12:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kfdray wrote:

I really think for Redwood the dealer/service channel is really new and a little disorganized. Still, curious what others think about Redwood versus Heartland, Excel, New Horizons, Mobile Suites etc., especially with regards to towability, durability, and service.
You will have some kind of problems with all of the above manufactures. not much quality control in any rv's chevman

chevman
2001 35 ft avalon alpenlite RK
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy
easyrider/reese airhitch
trailair center point suspension
JT Strong Arm Stabilizers
KSH 55 inbed fuel tank
Garmin 2720
scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors

Artemus Gordon

Redding California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/12 05:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would like to comment on local dealer issues.  While I understand the "buy local" mentality, I also understand "Parent Companies" who insist that their products purchased will enjoy nation wide service.  If I am on the road,  and have an issue with any product,  I expect to be treated the same as any local customer of that community.   Conversely I expect the manufacturer to demand equal and honest service to all its customers.  When manufactures allow dealers to "sell nation wide" then they must guarantee, the dealer network provide, "equality and equal support" of each and every customer that walks through their door.  Local, past customer, or first time visitor should be treated equally.  Customer loyalty while admirable, is directly proportionate to "price and product availability "!  My local dealers could not, and would not, meet my product needs locally.  I expect or more realistically demand the best service they offer when I go in for warranty work.  If not the manufacturer will be held responsible.  We are now "National Consumers", with a wider, larger market place to shop, unfortunately some local dealers have not and will not survive without being competitive and willing to broaden their thinking.  Money is money and money coming in means staying in business.

kfdray

Montana

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/12 12:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I really think for Redwood the dealer/service channel is really new and a little disorganized. Still, curious what others think about Redwood versus Heartland, Excel, New Horizons, Mobile Suites etc., especially with regards to towability, durability, and service.

KR2011

USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/12 01:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was at the Redwood factory this last Thursday and the question about the connection between Redwood, crossroads, and Thor. The reply was that Thor is the money and crossroads is the parent company over redwood. Their it is straight from the factory of redwod.

huntram

Fulltiming in the RV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/12 11:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My prior TT was a Thor Jazz. The local dealer that I bought it from had TERRIBLE service. I ended up getting permission to get service from a local RV repair business. Then he ended up closing his door, although he kept two others open in other cities 100+ miles away!
My curent 2011 Carraige that of course I no longer have a warrenty (well I have now bought an extended on it), I tried to buy 'local' here in SoCal. The two closest dealers were jerks. I am going full time in June so I wanted to order it the way I wanted to live in it! They wanted to sell what was on the floor. They had no interest in ordering what I wanted. Didn't matter that I wanted dual pane and Disc brakes. They tried to convince me it wouldn't matter at all. Further more best they could save me was about 5k. When you add the 4k delivery charge that is only about 1k off list.
I ended up driving and making a GREAT trip out of it to Terrytown in Grand Rapids. They were happy to order what I wanted and saved me over 30k! Also Carriage untill they closed was happy to approve all warrenty work to a local RV repair business.
Now tell me again why I should have stayed local and paid some jerk who knew what I needed more then I did 30k more???
Brian

speedster100 wrote:

So it looks like you have now experienced the very reason that it is much more wise to buy locally and perhaps pay a little more. We have had 7 or 8 RV's over 30 plus years and always bought from local dealers.

Our traveling blog:Brian and Patty's Awesome Adventure
2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4-door CTD, , 2011 Carriage Cameo 32FWS 5th wheel.

mwebber78

New England

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/01/12 07:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kakampers wrote:

kfdray wrote:

That is odd, as there appears to be no connection between Crossroads and Redwood
???

Found the connection...Thor owns both Crossroads and Redwood, however, the two appear to be independent of each other, Like Heartland is another independent Thor owned company...

They are clearly linked - the Redwood was tied into Crossroads heavily in the beginning. I would liken it to Toyota and Lexus' relationship.

Redwood is standing more clearly now as a seperate entity but they shared a lot of resources. Crossroads and Redwood also share a customer oriented mind set and a generous warranty/service record.

Sorry the OP had a bad experience but as others eluded to, either you buy locally from a dealer you have a good relationship with "OR" you buy what you want, where you want, and have a good relationship with an independently owned and reliable RV repair shop.

There is no Forester dealer (the Class C I have) for a few hundred miles. However, there is a great local dealership that runs a repair shop that services all brands and warranties. The place also rents Class C' Sunseekers so they are familiar enough with the product.

Best of luck.

2013 Jayco Eagle 334RBTS
Disclaimer for the daft: Don't confuse my opinion with facts.

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/12 06:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Artemus Gordon wrote:

I would like to comment on local dealer issues.  While I understand the "buy local" mentality, I also understand "Parent Companies" who insist that their products purchased will enjoy nation wide service.  If I am on the road,  and have an issue with any product,  I expect to be treated the same as any local customer of that community.   Conversely I expect the manufacturer to demand equal and honest service to all its customers.  When manufactures allow dealers to "sell nation wide" then they must guarantee, the dealer network provide, "equality and equal support" of each and every customer that walks through their door.  Local, past customer, or first time visitor should be treated equally.  Customer loyalty while admirable, is directly proportionate to "price and product availability "!  My local dealers could not, and would not, meet my product needs locally.  I expect or more realistically demand the best service they offer when I go in for warranty work.  If not the manufacturer will be held responsible.  We are now "National Consumers", with a wider, larger market place to shop, unfortunately some local dealers have not and will not survive without being competitive and willing to broaden their thinking.  Money is money and money coming in means staying in business.
X2
I drove past 2 local dealers on my 400 mile trek to the my choice of Dealers.

Robin'n'Marian

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/01/12 01:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Actually, Crossroads is the parent company of Redwood, Thor is the parent company of Crossroads and therefore,Redwood. A recall that was just done on the Redwood was done by Crossroads as the parent company. Redwood Residential Vehicles is a stand-alone division of Crossroads. This was posted on the Redwood forum recently. (being a division of Crossroads avoids duplication of services, such as accounting and warranty, apparently)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Redwood quality?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS