|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Sewer hookup question

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Chiefcpo

Huntsville, Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/12 09:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put in a few gallons of water and one of the bag for the dishwasher in the black tank when leaving the park as I know it will only be there about a month and it helps keep the tank clean and the sensors cleaned off. CW in south Al. told me to do this.

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/12 09:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

skipnchar wrote:

In order for the solids to flush out of your very FLAT holding tank you must have a lot of liquid going through it. If you leave the valve open you will never build up sufficient liquid to do that job and the result will be clogs and odors from collecting solids in the tank. NEVER dump a black tank unless it is close to full. If, for some reason, you MUST dump one and it's not full, fill it first THEN dump the tank.

After you dump be sure you add a few gallons of water and chemical of your choice so it's ready for use again. There will ALWAYS be some solids remaining in the tank and if the tank is left dry these solids will turn to stone and be nearly impossible to remove. Result can be more clogs and odors.
Good luck / Skip

You don't need to know anymore than the above. Go camping and have fun.

2007 Tundra Crew Max
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Timbrens
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Lalair

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/12 05:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have only been tent camping up until last year so I would be considered a newbee to RV camping. The advice I read so far is great. I bought 1972 TT and only have camped once using no water.

My first experience with sewer: I thought I might need a plunger for the potty with the foot pedal, so I got a cheap dollar store plunger. Well the first time I steped on the pedal (flushing water for winter), there was only a trap door valve that opened to the black water tank below, and I could see into the tank. Guess how newbiesh I felt then. And just before that I heard the terms black water, grey water, and fresh water, but figured out the definitions pretty easy.

Now my question. My older TT only has the black water tank with no grey water tank. The previous owner showed me the trap valve from the black water tank and the grey water has to drain out of the sewer port where you connect the hose. Is it worth it to buy a portable tank or do I just keep a bucket under the drain?

CincyGus

Cincinnati

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/12 08:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

atomlinson wrote:

Nope, there's no longer a campground at Kings Island, and it's now owned by Cedar Point. Thanks for the help everyone!

Ceasars Creek State Park is real close and a nice park if your wanting to camp close to KI. Also Morgans Canoe Livery in Lebanon has primitive camping on the river. Nice shaded sites, call to see if there are sites for larger trailers.

One last thing I'll suggest is that if your black tank isn't full when you get ready to leave the capground and you still have water in your fresh tank or are hooked to city water, I go in and hold the flush pedal down to fill the black tank to make sure there is plenty of water to wash it out and break up any solids.

* This post was edited 03/28/12 08:16am by CincyGus *

2011 Silverado Crewcab 4x4
2012 Passport 238ML

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

mlts22

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/12 09:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If crushed, bag ice is available, one thing that can be done is to empty the black tank. Then fill it with a number of bags of ice, and then go on one's merry way. The ice will get the nastier stuff off of the bottom and sides of the tank during the trip.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Sewer hookup question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS