RV.Net Open Roads Forum: What's your rig(+toad) and what's your MPG?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> What's your rig(+toad) and what's your MPG?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
sowego

northwestern corner of the Nebraska panhandle

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/12 07:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is awfully hard to figure milage. Even the best math. expert cannot figure on all the conditions that affect the MH every mile going down the road. Each coach gets different milage, some older rigs better than some newer units and the reverse could be true. But wind, weather, traffic, road conditions, mountains, elevation, running the generator for AC,etc. can have an impact too. Your mpg range could be anywhere from 6 to 9. Ask the dealer or manufacturer what the average mpg is for the model you are looking at and figure it will get worse in all the conditions listed.

For our coach towing our mpg is usually somewhere between 8 & 9 (see our siggy). We usually end up hitting all the conditions that ruin mpg. Running the genny uses maybe 1/2 gal. per hr and towing makes about 1/2 to 1 mpg difference.

If mpg is a deal breaker...well I don't know what to say...owning, maintaining, driving, and RV park fees is not cheap by any means. We have found it a wiser choice than traveling via air or car and staying in motels. Considering the cost of those items it pretty much an even deal or even better deal.

2002 Tiffin Phaeton
2005 Malibu Maxx toad

Just Lee

California

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/12 09:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wolfe10 wrote:

Chris,

You will get wildly different answers unless you "drill down" on what you are asking about.

Important variables:
1. Gas or diesel
2. Weight of coach and toad
3. Speed driven

BTW, we have averaged 11.3 MPG for the last 130,000 miles-- each gallon recorded, speedometer calibrated. No, it "ain't" all stock and IS driven for economy.

After reading Brett's article in FMCA magazine from a couple months ago on how to use the economy mode. I am getting no lower then 9.3 MPG towing a Chevrolet Colorado 4x4 Crew Cab.

I was VERY diligent about not going over 55.

If It weren't for flash backs I would have no Memory at all
If you don't stand behind our TROOPS feel free to stand in front of them during a fire fight

2013 View Profile 24G
96 Tracker 4x4 Pushing a Mercedes.

In God We Trust ALL Others pay CASH

deandec

Northern CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/30/12 09:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

8.0 mpg East of the Rockies.

7.0 mpg West of the Rockies.

60 mph, 300 hp, 860 torque, 35,000 lbs combined.

Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

TDInewguy

Minneapolis, MN

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/12 01:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a few numbers to share...

My AVERAGE MPG for last year towing my trailer was 7.7MPG - that was my 39' rig at about 26K LBS and towing a 10K LB 30' trailer with a 1966 GTO, golf cart and the kids toys. My speed was usually never under 65MPH - typically I was in the 70-75 range, with some time above that and some below. It seems to hit another sweet spot for power and MPG when I'm above 72MPH - I know about wind drag, but the coach really glides nicely.

When I made a trip in August - MN - NM - UT - MN I was towing a 09 VW Jetta wagon TDI - that trip was a bit better. If I kept the speed to 61-63MPH then I would pretty consistently be 10-10.5MPG (don't believe it? it's true! I've been tracking with my silverleaf AND hand calc to calibrate the silverleaf. I have had the speedometer calibrated to my bigger tires and the silverleaf. hand calc now always jives.)

So my sweet spot is right @ 62mph.

What have I done to help my MPG's?

Synthetic fluids = engine, trans, differential
Michelin Super Single rear tires (yup the 14" wide suckers)
Removed the satellite dish from the roof (less wind drag)
Chopped off the stock muffler and put a straight thru 5" semi truck muffler (donaldson - not that awful Aero 5050XL - I have a lightly used Aero 5050XL if anyone wants - too much drone for me)
My trailer is smaller profile than the coach, so it "fits" into the air hole that the coach punches...

I'm pretty pleased overall with my CAT 3126/Allison 3000 combo

SSSStefan

2002 Itasca Horizon 39QD with the Fatboy tires on the back!
2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon - toad!
Aluma 24' Enclosed car hauler
1966 GTO - super cool car as seen on Driven1

btilfan

springfield NE

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/12 06:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

7.5 mpg 460 ford 1990 36'

2004 Coachmen Liberty
My next hobby.

Daboo

Texas Panhandle USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/12 10:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lucky to get 6mpg with a 33 ft Winnebago, towing a 10 Ford Escape on a dolly..appr 21000 total weight...wish it was better--but i look at it this way...the Ford Escape is getting 1000 MPG whilst it is being towed

Served proudly 1957-1965..U.S. Air Force

paulcardoza

Southeastern Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/12 10:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2003 Monaco Executive - ISM500 @ 45,000# pulling a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited = 7.5mpg always running @ 62mph on the hwy.

Paul & Sandra
New Bedford, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

05kountrystar

United States

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/12 10:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

31,000lb.coach with 06 Saturn VUE. 330 Cummins with 39500 miles.Recently had it at a Cummins dealer.Laptop says 8.1 mpg over the lifetime of the engine.I try to stay at 63 mph & only use the economy mode occassionally.

John&Joey

Some Location

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/08/12 12:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

F53 33 foot no slides 460 towing a Saturn SC2. All stock

Never keep track of MPG till this spring and then only once. Given a 25+ mph tail wind, doing 2400 rpm's (about 62 mph) I got 10 MPG.

I use the toad to explore, and the 460 to get me there and house us. To fill up from 1/4 tank is $200. After a full day of driving I'm back at 1/4 tank. The real question for me is how many days can I drive back to back without camping for awhile.

sailor_lou

Connecticut

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/12 05:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First MOHO: 97 Winne Vectra, 34' no slides (GVW: 16K lbs), Ford 460 CID, E4OD, Honda Accord on a dolly......Avg. 6.0 MPG

Current MOHO: 05 Travel Supreme Envoy, 38' four slides (GVW: 32k lbs), CAT C-7 (350 HP), Allison MH3000, Honda Accord (dolly/4 down - no difference)......Avg. 8.0 MPG

Oh yeah, NEVER drive with fuel economy in mind.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> What's your rig(+toad) and what's your MPG?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS