RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Truck Camper Insurance?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Truck Camper Insurance?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Mulebrain

Boca Raton, FL

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/12 04:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What do you folks recommend? I am getting bombarded with mail from Good Sam. I have been with Geico on my auto insurance for over 15 years.

Is Good Sam the way to go, and why?

Joners

Idaho Falls, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/12 05:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mulebrain wrote:

What do you folks recommend? I am getting bombarded with mail from Good Sam. I have been with Geico on my auto insurance for over 15 years.

Is Good Sam the way to go, and why?

I added my TC to my normal auto insurance (not Geico) for about $5.00/month. I only have mine on the PU about 6 months. The rest of the time it is in dry, heated storage with fire sprinklers, and still covered.
Cap'n Bob

1996 Chevy K1500 4X4 Short Box, 5.7L Vortec, E rated tires, Lance Model 820 with Cabover Struts, Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags, KYB MonoMax Shocks, Torklift Stable Loads, Happijac Truck Camper Tiedowns and Turnbuckles, Honda Eu2000i Inverter/Generator.

the tc life

colbert wa.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/12 05:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

well if you are with geico already give them a call and ask some questions about what it all covers. my camper is covered with geico along with 4 other vehicles. ive not had to do a claim on the camper (knock on wood) but i have had 2 different claims (no it wasnt my fault, lol) with cars. i must say i was very satisfied with how geico handled the claims. i have not heard feedback of how geico has handled camper claims.

2010 adventurer 810ws
1999 c3500 dually 12' flatbed

THE TC LIFE

devildog1971

Rome

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/12 08:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In georgia i have farm bureau they do not cover my camper but when i bought a 3500 series truck {i upgraded from a 2500} farm bureau lowered my rates by almost $190.00 every six months they told me that my 3500 qualified for commercial rates and full coverage last time i paid it for 6 months was $172.00 it makes no sense to me that commercial insurance is cheaper actually it is a commercial farm policy i thought i would check my rates not long ago i called all that was in the yellow pages once they learned i had farm bureau and the rate i was told we can not even come close so i have stuck with them for 16 years i did have a class B that burned while traveling in louisiana and farm bureau was great my agent even called and gave me a credit card number to use to get home all we got out of the motor home before it was engulfed was us and the basset hound no wallet no money nothing we had to rent the smallest U haul we could get to go home because i do not like to fly commercial aircraft and do not like to ride greyhound with a basset hound

2005 Dodge 3500 CTD DRW Crew Cab 4x4 6 speed, 2007 Winter Creek TC Rancho shocks,Firestone Air Bags, One Extra Leaf Spring on Rear.

sirdrakejr

Las Vegas, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/12 09:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have my truck insured by GMAC ( GS VIP ) and they cover the TC when on the truck. But I also have separate insurance to cover the TC when it is stored as required by the storage facility. I costs me $60 a year for that. Well worth it to me.
Frank

2011 Palomino Maverick 1000SLLB on a 2004 Dodge Quadcab CTD Ram3500 SRW long bed equipped with Timbren springs, Stable Load bump stops, Rickson 19.5" wheels/"G" range tires and a Helwig "Big Wig" rear anti sway bar.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/12 09:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only sure way to find out is get a quote......with the coverage level you want....from SEVERAL companies.

You will have an idea what each company will charge for your coverage level.
Then ask for opinions about that company and it's handling of claims.....that is what is really important. The least expensive/most expensive might not be a good stand up company...........price matters BUT shouldn't be the whole picture.

Good Sam was way more expensive for my coverage level on truck & 5'vr. Ended up with National Interstate Ins. Each year I get quotes and I'm still with National Interstate. I've only had one claim and it was handled over the phone on a Saturday.....no hassles.

wcjeep

Tacoma, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/12 10:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

$15/month for the TC with my current insurance company.

MN Ben

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/12 11:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After the quotes, let us know how things went.

MN Ben

2002 F250 7.3 PSD
2000 Lance 1010

the tc life

colbert wa.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/12 07:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

well after reading the new tcm article you may want to check out good sams too.

Mello Mike

Mesa, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/12 07:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My RVs are insured with Progressive and my autos with USAA.

2011 Wolf Creek 850N/Polar Cub/240w Solar w/Morningstar SSD-25/Two 6v Lifeline AGMs
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Hellwig Big Wig/Torklift Talon Aluminum Tiedowns w/Fastguns
2011 Jeep Compass w/4x4 Package
US Navy Ret.
My Truck Camper Adventures

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Truck Camper Insurance?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts