RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Hybrid Travel Trailers: New Hybrid home! CO detector?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Hybrid Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Hybrid Travel Trailers

> New Hybrid home! CO detector?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
hoss1045

Central Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/12 07:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Put a fan in the camper. air it out. if it still beeps and it is a new new unit. take it back to the dealer. Dont try to fix it your self. Dealers are funny and if you ever have a 12volt issue while still under warranty they could deny your claim. Just keep watch over their shoulder and see how they fix it.

2007 GMC Yukon XL
2004 Fourwinds 25' HTT
Go BUCKEYES

RandK-M

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/12 08:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It could just be a bad detector. Mine started going off last season and I ended up having to disconnect it. I was sure of course that there was no CO or LP present. It would sound the alarm in the early morning hours around dawn even with the gas shut off.

The first time it went off at 5:30 am, I was scared there was a gas leak or something. The next night I turned off the gas over night and it did it again around the same time. We were plugged into shore power and the only thing on was the refrigerator on electric.

I think it was the thick morning air.

Anyway, I pulled the unit and found that the date of manufacture was right about at the end of it's lifespan even though the trailer was only less than 2 years old.

Which reminds me, I need to buy a new one before the season starts!

Ray

Jayco 17Z
Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Prodigy P2
Equal-i-zer Hitch
US Navy Veteran

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/12 09:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just FYI... When you plug the trailer shore power cable into a 30A 120VAC source will operate the trailer on-board Converter/Charger unit. The 13.6VDC output of this converter is connected to the power Distribution Center where all of the 120VAC circuit breakers and 12VDC fuses are located for your trailer circuits. The converter/charger also connects to your trailer battery with larger gauge cables to keep it charged up when you are connected to shore power.

If you disconnect from shore power your battery will then take over and keep providing 12.6VDC to the Power Distribution Center until the battery runs down.

So if you disconnected the battery leads to make the CO Detector to quit beeping then this tells everyone you are not connected to the shore power cable. Otherwise it woulld still be providing 13.6VDC to your trailer 12VDC circuits.

I suspect your battery is low in charge. Either connect your shore power cable to 120VAC power and let the on-board Converter/charger re-charge your battery or use a portable battery charger plugged into a 120VAC drop cord at your house to charge the battery. You will know when the converter/charger is working when you are reading 13.6VDC or higher at the battery terminals using a digital multimeter which is available at Lowes or Walmart ($7-$15). A good thing to have around to test things with...

A word of caution on removing your battery cables. Alot of folks here myself incuded has re-installed the battery cables and got them reversed. This is very easy think to do since both cable have the same size terminal connectors on them. Now I always hand trace the battery cable that connected to the trailer frame just a short distance away from the battery and make sure this is the cable I re-connect to the battery terminal marked "NEG" or has the symbol "-" etched into the battery case...

If your accidently REVERSED the two battery cables it will blow a fuse that is an in-line type close to the battery location and also two fuses located on the Power Distribution Center panel marked REVERSE POLIARITY... That will disconnect the battery from the converter/charger and will not allow the battery to be re-charged. Something to check. Only takes one little spark to do this hehe (wonder how I know this)...

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - PM me
Roy and Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS
POPUP PHOTOs-Pg52

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/12 09:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I may be wrong here but me thinks a slow beep means the battery is low and louder steady beep means it has detected the presence of gas... I will have to read the instruction in the book but believe this is correct.

shadet

Erie

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/12 03:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

UPDATE - Hybrid is perfect today. Detector is power on and fine. Like I said, we had a couple trucks idling nearby which could have done it. Thanks for all your help guys! Battery is reconnected and camper is plugged in to show off!!!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Hybrid Travel Trailers

> New Hybrid home! CO detector?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Hybrid Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS