RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Towing: Need weight distributing hitch help for new purchase

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Need weight distributing hitch help for new purchase

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Seabornman

Central New York

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/12 05:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi, I just purchased an older 22 ft. travel trailer with a weight distributing hitch. As you can see from the photo, it's not working. The Suburban's receiver is much higher than the previous owner's (he had a Silverado). I did manage to drive it 30 miles home like this without the electric brakes working, and it actually handled fine. So, after some research, the trailer has a 5000# GVWR, though it seems it's more like 3600# unloaded. The Suburban is rated for a 5000# trailer (the 3.08 rear end doesn't help), and allowable tongue weight is 600# weight carrying, 1100# weight distributing. I don't know what tongue weight of the trailer is. It's a Reese hitch. We didn't dial any preload into the bars as we were already too high. The shank is welded into the head.
So where do I go? Will I have to buy a modern Reese head and shank? Will it fit? Should I start all over? It seems the trailer is right at the edge of requiring a WD hitch at all. Once I get a brake controller, will it matter? I don't know what my plans are with this as it was sort of an impulse buy, but I know I won't be climbing any tall mountains with the 5.3 engine and the 3.08 differential. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/12 05:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like all you need is a drop shank to lower the connection a few inches. Probably can find a standard drop that would put you pretty close to level. From the photo you'd only need a couple of inches.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/12 06:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check out some local RV dealers and see if they have any used adjustable shanks and a hitch head for trunion style bars.. Depending on price, you should be able to get something for $100 or less??

Or get a whole new setup? That'll run a bit more, but you'd want to do a WD setup no matter what IMO...

Good luck!

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2003 Prowler Lynx 722F #5000 GVWR and weighs every bit of it! Happy Camping!

Bill & Kate

Stone Harbor, NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/12 06:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you will much happier with a proper set up. THe trailer really needs to be close to level to handle properly and to avoid tire wear problems. You may be able to get a different head arrangement from Reese that uses the same trunnion bar set up, or you might get away with just getting a a new drop bar and having a local welder cut off the old, and weld it onto the new at the proper height.
If worst comes to worst, a entirely new Reese Pro SC or Equalizer
will not be that expensive, and you will have the piece of mind that it is set up properly.

Bill & Kate - Stone Harbor, NJ
w/ Molson (goldendoodle) and Zeke (partipoodle) (recently rescued puppy)
2005 Ford/Quigley 4x4 E-350 Chateau Super Duty Van with 6.0L PSD ("Moby")
2012 Outback Super Light 277RL - 10th Anniversary Edition ("Salty Dog House II")

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/12 06:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The trailer's sitting way to high in the front, which is not good as it could cause a lot of uncontrollable sway. Get the trailer dropped down to level and at a minimum add a single friction sway control setup. Then get a brake controller and get the brakes working. Then go have fun, you'll be fine.

2007 Tundra Crew Max
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Timbrens
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

chevor

US/Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/12 06:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks good to me. I think you should concentrate on getting the brake controller in place. If it rides fine why change anything. Its more important to have the weight on each trailer axel close then it is have the setup look level.

2010 Gmc 2500 CCSB Duramax,1ton rear springs, 90g box tank, 0ver 648,500 Odometer miles, 20k Curt fifth wheel, 18k Curt rear mount hitch,Bridgestone Duravis R500s Rancho 9000 Shocks, Firestone Airbags, bypass oil filter
13 Chevy LT CC DRW w/ 9' flatbed

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/12 07:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Simple fix, buy a drop shank for it.

* This post was edited 03/19/12 07:25pm by fla-gypsy *

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/12 08:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need to dump this hitch, with the welded head, no good for your set up.. to get it proper for your truck it would require cutting, and rewelding the hitch head.

I seriously recommend This hitch package for your trailer. Best deal under $300.00

I also recommend this Brake Controller

Along with this Hardwire kit for Primus

Or I would see about adding a Factory brake controller for your rig.

Good luck and please be safe. Towing a trailer without brakes is no fun.

Thank!

2014 Chrysler Town And Country
3.6 Pentastar V6

"It's Kind of Fun To Do The Impossible"
~Walt Disney~

APT

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/12 05:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the same problem with my Suburban compared to my prior TV. My Reese WD system came with this shank and just ordered this one last week.

Your half ton Suburban may be able to use my former one. By the time you spend $250 on a hitch head and shank, you might as well just get a new setup with add some friction sway control.

A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2012 VW Passat TDI

Seabornman

Central New York

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/12 06:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the help. I ordered a brake controller and am still sorting out the drop situation for the WD hitch.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Need weight distributing hitch help for new purchase
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS