RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Chalet Quad Slide

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > Chalet Quad Slide

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

Senior Member

Joined: 04/04/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/20/12 03:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it had a Popup Roof, that would be 5 slides!


Camper Jeff and Kelli's Blog!

A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FEET!


JD5150

Anywhere

Full Member

Joined: 06/18/2009

View Profile



Posted: 03/20/12 03:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eugarps wrote:

All,

Why are manufacturers so slide happy? The reason the industry went bust during the last downturn and high fuel prices, is because they got WAY behind the curve. The TCM survey seemed to say, industry should be building light weight, non-slide camper and here we are with these behemoths! What gives RV builders?

Have you tried to find a non-slide Arctic Fox, Chalet, or other camper. The only staunch hold outs are Northern-Lite, Northstar, and Bigfoot and now Livin' Lite.

My rant may not be yours, so feel free.

Best,

Bill




I am actually looking for a non slide, hard side or pop up. I don't like slides on a TC. Just more weight and maintenance

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 07/13/2002

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/20/12 04:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My question is how functional of a camper can it be with the slides in? Looks like the door is going to be blocked by the sofa slide out.

When the dinette slide is in, how do you get to the bathroom?

Mitch

jimh425

Western WA

Senior Member

Joined: 06/11/2006

View Profile


Online
Posted: 03/20/12 04:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eugarps wrote:

All,

Why are manufacturers so slide happy? The reason the industry went bust during the last downturn and high fuel prices, is because they got WAY behind the curve. The TCM survey seemed to say, industry should be building light weight, non-slide camper and here we are with these behemoths! What gives RV builders?


The first problem is that you believe the TCM survey. Their audience is very limited and I don't believe represents a cross section of camper owners. Also, the reason why the industry had problems is less loans and a general downturn in all purchasing. RVs are just one of the first things people cut back on. Gas mileage is only useful on the way to the campsite. The ultimate camper for gas mileage is an economy car with a tent. How much comfort are you willing to do without?

The reason why slide campers are built is that many people are downsizing from bigger RVs. Slides give way more open space. It's possible to like a narrow hallway camper, but I like the openess of a dual slide camper and many people agree. Foolish me compared nonslide to slide models and the choice is clear what is more comfortable once you arrive. It's the slide model.

So far, I've had zero maintenance required by my double slides, but I've only had it 6 years.


'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR. '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.


Boatycall

Tacoma, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 11/06/2002

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/20/12 05:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eugarps wrote:

Have you tried to find a non-slide Arctic Fox, Chalet, or other camper.

Ahh, but have YOU tried gettin drunk with 8 of your best friends in one WITHOUT a slide??? HA!

Last weekend mine got used extensively, and also nicknamed "The Shot Wagon".... The liquor cabinet got emptied out, the black tank got filled up. Poor truck, I didn't even have the jacks down. Good thing there's bump stops.


01 F350 DRW 4x4, Torklift Tie downs & Stableloads,SuperHitch,F550 Rear Suspension,Roadmaster F & R Sway Bars,Rancho 9000s,Jasper MonsterBox Tranny
2012 Eagle Cap 1160-Six 140Ah AGM Batts,Prosine 2.0 2kw Inverter,100a truck charging circuit, Dish Tailgator


Eugarps

Hagerstown, MD

Senior Member

Joined: 09/26/2002

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/20/12 06:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425,

Your point is well taken. I guess, coming from the RV's in my sig, I've gotten used to not having a slide out. I'd even looked at buying a 34' Foretravel with no slide-outs. Class A's with no slides, are pretty reasonably priced. a 34' non-slide Foretravel would be high luxury for us.

That said, we'll be looking at a Snow River Prestige 8'11" with a single slide later this month. We like the Snow River, because you can use it with the slide in. It's not as roomy with the slide in but should be useable at rest stops. It would work nicely for us.

I was just raising the question in light of the intro of a quad slide. I'd expect that on a Class A but wonder why someone would "downsize" to something like this. I would think the fuel consumption would be on par considering an F-550 hauler vs. a small Class A. I'm just musing as to what the advantage would be, unless one had a reason to own an F-550 for other uses.

To each his own, I guess.

Bill


1978 27' Southwind MH - Gone
1982 19' Terry Taurus TT - Gone
1990 24' Prowler TT - Gone
TC - Still in the Hunt


sabconsulting

High Wycombe, UK

Senior Member

Joined: 10/10/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/20/12 06:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli wrote:

If it had a Popup Roof, that would be 5 slides!


Don't give them any more ideas



Should I order one to go on my Ranger? Might need to pump the air bags up a bit.

Steve.


'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'92 Suzuki Samurai 4x4 1.6
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2
'10 Citroen DS3 1.6 turbo


Eugarps

Hagerstown, MD

Senior Member

Joined: 09/26/2002

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/20/12 06:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boatycall wrote:

Eugarps wrote:

Have you tried to find a non-slide Arctic Fox, Chalet, or other camper.

Ahh, but have YOU tried gettin drunk with 8 of your best friends in one WITHOUT a slide??? HA!

Last weekend mine got used extensively, and also nicknamed "The Shot Wagon".... The liquor cabinet got emptied out, the black tank got filled up. Poor truck, I didn't even have the jacks down. Good thing there's bump stops.


Good point.... LOL

recycler

michigan

Senior Member

Joined: 02/15/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/20/12 06:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

four slides
i thought one slide was bad enough, but four if i needed that much room would switch to class c on a one ton 4x4 truck chassis

d3500ram

colorado

Senior Member

Joined: 07/31/2006

View Profile



Posted: 03/20/12 07:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For my camping style a slide is not ideal for me. I perhaps go more off- road than the average hardside TC owner. I think that even having 1 slide for my jaunts that having a large opening would rack and maybe cause slide mechanism issues. That said, it is my option that campers with any slides are perhaps best left to roads that do not cause a truck to have to articulate to extremes.

But even if the 4 slide is used stricktly "on-road" I would still be a little concerned about racking. I would think that the design of this camper's structure at the openings and corners would have to be of utmost integrity for a camper of this size and design.

But I will go out on a limb and suspect that a basement of this size camper actually makes the floor stronger than conventional TC's to allow for multiple slides.

I saw one of these set- ups coming at me in opposite direction last year. It is tall! I would think the high COG would perhaps be an issue... especially in high winds.


2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.
2008 NorthStar Arrow short bed.


This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > Chalet Quad Slide
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS