|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Towing a 2009 Mini Cooper 6 speed

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
OldAV8TOR

Long Island, NY

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/12 01:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does anyone have any advice on towing 2008 or newer Mini Cooper's with manual 6 speed tranny's? I understand that after 2008 they nolonger had steering locks so there should be no need for the ignition switch on. I just bought a 2009 and am having it outfitted with a Blue OX system and an RVI supplemental brake. I would assume with the gear shift in neutral it should be good to tow. I know they have been towed for several years, as Blue OX has been making base plates at least since 2005? But recently BMW Mini issued a service bulletin not to flat tow ANY Mini's. Sounds like Lawyer Speak to me. I'm currently, in South Florida and there are an abundance of Mini's and I've seen many being towed. Haven't met up with anyone at a rest stop yet to discuss details. I just bought this TOAD and need to take it home to NY. Any advice would be appreciated.

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/12 01:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Personally, I would follow the manufacturer's recommendations, as printed in the Owners Manual.
But then, I will not use anything for a towed vehicle that can't be towed without doing any modifications, either.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad 1: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (and Toad 2): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

AprilWhine

Somewhere west of Laramie

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/12 08:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Towed an 08 Clubman 20,000 miles.

Just as you stated.

When I had it serviced, no comment from the dealer.

Traded it in, the MINI dealer put it on the front row with the tow lights and towbar still on it. It sold in two days.

Mini wants no deep pocket liability, so will not recommend it. The car tows fine. Good luck, and enjoy!

1997 Prevost by Angola towing 2014 Honda CRV
OR
2008 Winnebago View towing 2008 Mini Clubman
Pick one

Jagtech

Sunny Southern Alberta, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/12 05:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I helped a friend install a towing baseplate on his '08 Cooper S with 6-speed. It tows fine, no problems over a couple of years.

1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

John & Angela

Full Timers in Canada, USA and Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/12 05:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AprilWhine wrote:

Towed an 08 Clubman 20,000 miles.

Just as you stated.

When I had it serviced, no comment from the dealer.

Traded it in, the MINI dealer put it on the front row with the tow lights and towbar still on it. It sold in two days.

Mini wants no deep pocket liability, so will not recommend it. The car tows fine. Good luck, and enjoy!

Nice combo. Great pic.

2003 Revolution 40C Class A. 2002 Vanguard 22 foot Class C. Diesel smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer or pulling a 2009 Timeout Tent Trailer.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/12 07:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you check the Remco Towing Application Charts?

ScottMack

Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/21/12 08:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For what it's worth. We had a Mini Clubman - great car!! (until someone turned left in front of us and totaled it). Our Mini dealer had one come in with a failed tranny (manual). The transmission was still under warranty, but since it had been flat towed, Mini refused to cover it. The dealer didn't have any choice but to charge the owner.

2010 Winnebago Outlook 29B
2010 Ford Escape (1 blown tranny at 4876 towing miles)

AprilWhine

Somewhere west of Laramie

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/12 09:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottMack wrote:

For what it's worth. We had a Mini Clubman - great car!! (until someone turned left in front of us and totaled it). Our Mini dealer had one come in with a failed tranny (manual). The transmission was still under warranty, but since it had been flat towed, Mini refused to cover it. The dealer didn't have any choice but to charge the owner.

Of course. I knew that when I rigged mine to tow.

It was my car, I am a grownup, I don't snivel and whine. All facets of life do not come with warranties.

We are on our 5th MINI at this time, we frequent the two largest MINI forums in the world, hubby was the transmission forum moderator on MINI2.com. We have never seen a report of such a failure, in fact since they did away with installing Midlands transmissions in the Base Cooper, failures are almost unknown. The CVT's were problematic, and many boy racers destroy the clutches in their manual transmissions regularly, however, they are trying to.

We also flat towed a Toyota FJ cruiser. Never had a problem with it either.

We trailer our current Ford (I know, but it was cheap), because of FIRST HAND failure reports from Ford owners, even though Ford states that it can be towed. I don't care that they will repeatedly replace failed transmissions under warranty, I don't want to deal with that.

mobiler

California

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/12 02:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I am just about to get a roadmaster base plate installed on a 2009 convertible. I have two questions for those already towing these. I plan to wire mine as there is little room to install magnetic lights on the convertible. I would have to put one on each side and that's not really practical. I've read people warn against tapping into the mini's wiring system, if anything for warranty issues alone, but is there anyone who has done this and not suffered any consequences? I'd like to hear about problems as well.

I'm planning to tow this behind my 27' Rexhall Vision without supplemental braking. Aside from state laws, many have said that the weight of the cooper doesn't warrant them. I too would prefer to avoid using a braking system, so if anyone is towing a mini without brakes I'd love to hear your thoughts about this.

beachcomber_1

Alton, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/12 08:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some of the new standard trannys do not turn main shaft for lube when in neutral, this can result in bearing failure. Some people over fill tranny and hope for splash lube.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Towing a 2009 Mini Cooper 6 speed
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS